View Full Version : Motivation/Rewards in ADHD/Autism

Lunacie
11-17-16, 12:18 PM
Recently Mild asked if our ability to do what we know might be a motivation problem.

When I read about this study this morning, that thread came back to my mind.

Abnormalities in reward processing ― the way that brain processes desire, potential rewards, and motivation ― are common to both autism and ADHD, and the new study revealed a closer look at how this plays out on a neurological level. The researchers found that one particular brain region, the caudate nucleus ― a mass of grey matter, which is involved in things like planning, directed movement and goal-directed behavior ― was able to predict the level of autistic traits in patients with ADHD.

read the whole article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/adhd-autism-joint-diagnosis_us_5821f863e4b0d9ce6fbee16f

info on the study itself: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0165620

Cyllya
12-03-16, 05:29 PM
Glad to see they've started to recognize this symptom in both conditions, and care about it enough to look into the cause.

Also glad they're starting to recognize the connection between ADHD and autism. I've started considering ADHD and Asperger's-style autism to be essentially the same condition. (I had to roll my eyes at the Huff Post article being titled "Autism And ADHD Have More In Common Than You Might Think." :rolleyes:)

mildadhd
12-04-16, 12:57 PM
Lunacie

Biologically, which rewards and reward systems are you referring to?

Mildadhd

C15H25N3O
01-12-17, 09:07 PM
C15H25N3O

Biologically, which rewards and reward systems are you referring to?

Mildadhd

Sorry for faking and capturing your quote. :giggle:

I believe desire, potential rewards and motivation are a triad depending on each other.
Desire is the base of life and you need rewards to achieve motivation. Thats why they
try to therapy us with stimulants making us awake (norepinephrine) and giving us reward
(dopamine) in advance.

mildadhd
01-12-17, 09:29 PM
Sorry for faking and capturing your quote. :giggle:

I believe desire, potential rewards and motivation are a triad depending on each other.
Desire is the base of life and you need rewards to achieve motivation. Thats why they
try to therapy us with stimulants making us awake (norepinephrine) and giving us reward
(dopamine) in advance.

SEEKING/desire?

C15H25N3O
01-12-17, 09:36 PM
I mean the desire to function in society or the desire to have a honorable
life or the desire to fulfill a lifes dream, ...

The triad of desire, reward and motivation always begins with a desire.
Then I have to kick my butt to get into motivation. Performing good will
give me a reward fulfilling my desire which elevates me to get easier
motivation next time. I mean this is the theory of small steps to success.

I know I can have a happy but poor life using amphetamines everyday because
they reward me with dopamine for nothing. From this view amphetamines are
palliative medicine ... why motivate if you got reward from pills?

Thats why I believe we need more rewards than stimulants and life is therapy.
Real functioning means the highest level of desire, reward and motivation to me.