View Full Version : Vyvanse helping me focus on the wrong things?

Jill22089
11-17-16, 04:03 PM
I still dont get things done because when i get distracted by something like a facebook message i answer it then i get focused on talkin to this person so like half hour wasted then maybe il continue to get ready for the day shower dressed but it takes way longer then u would think because this happens again and again through out the day so i waste A LOT of time on things that could be put of until later instead things that should be now does ANYBODY know what im talking about? because im sick of it oh p.s its hard to get out of the 'zone' one im doing something unimportant i try really hard i even say to myself ok i gotta do this i gotta stop but something pulls me back to it

Little Missy
11-17-16, 06:14 PM
ha! Yeah, even medicated doesn't guarantee correct focus. But it sure does help.

john2100
11-17-16, 07:56 PM
I still dont get things done because when i get distracted by something like a facebook message i answer it then i get focused on talkin to this person so like half hour wasted then maybe il continue to get ready for the day shower dressed but it takes way longer then u would think because this happens again and again through out the day so i waste A LOT of time on things that could be put of until later instead things that should be now does ANYBODY know what im talking about? because im sick of it oh p.s its hard to get out of the 'zone' one im doing something unimportant i try really hard i even say to myself ok i gotta do this i gotta stop but something pulls me back to it

I'm not sure if I replied to you or other new users regarding meds for ADD as a miracle cure,so maybe am repeating my self.

ADD drugs are supposed to help you to function as a NON-ADD person.
If you have problems with facebook ,drug will not help you much here.
Maybe at the beginning ,but later not that much.

ADD drugs only help with chemical production.They will not give you new habits and completely new productive and limitless super-being persona ready to perform 13H a day.

There is a chance that if you didn't have ADD you would still have hard time to control your time on facebookn and other disctractions. So it is also a NON-ADD behavior. Having said that, it looks like vyvanse is working just fine because your brain functions just as good on vyvanse as NON-ADD brain.

You have to understand and make peace with limitations of this drug and how they work.
The theory is that they cause increase in dopamine in your brain and probably also indirectly serotonin and other chemicals.

Dopamine makes EVERYTHING more fun and less painful.
That's why boring tasks on amps are more fun.
Facebook,interent,movies,anything fun produces also dopamine naturally in every brain. So with amphetamines you are getting even more dopamine and it will be even more long lasting and pleasurable.

Anytime you are on amps you have understand this and also ask your self: "Are non-ADD people effected by what I'm trying to eliminate?" Like facebook.
If the answer is yes, then you have to find other tricks or methods to eliminate that habit , that are not unique to ADD people, but to NON-ADD too. Hope it makes sense.

Meds without a structured plan to fix common non-ADD problems will not be as effective for you .

C15H25N3O
11-18-16, 04:07 AM
Vyvanse is no structurizer and motivator.

If you need structure you have to organize yourself.

If you have a lack of motivation you have to start tasks on your own.

Vyvanse supports you organizing and staying on tasks.

You can try to increase your dosage for synthetic motivation

or you can try to decrease Vyvanse and use it as a teacher

working hard on yourself to get the most out of your day

not out of the drug.

It still depends on mighty co-morbities and is your decision

to be or become more or less need for the meds.

Are there any days you dont take Vyvanse? How is it?

Jill22089
11-18-16, 07:12 PM
no. its everyday

john2100
11-18-16, 09:05 PM
How was it with FB before meds?

Jill22089
11-19-16, 01:32 PM
same thing except i did task i had to do longer then now like id go take a shower then come on facebook and i would be focused on facebook less long id be on facebook 40 minutes then get dressed and so forth now i do my make and come on facebook after just eyeliner lol and i could get distracted for an hour

john2100
11-19-16, 01:41 PM
So wound't you say then that amphetamines are not working for you ?
How long have you been on them?

Jill22089
11-20-16, 12:48 PM
no i believe in some ways they work im going thru an emotional time due to an event and i believe its changing me other people noticed too just slow to pick up humor slow in general like im in space. and 1 month and 11 days but only 11 days on my current dose. it helped before i was goin thru what im goin thru

john2100
11-20-16, 02:18 PM
it helped before i was going thru what im going thru

What if your ADD meds are not working that good because of what you going truth is much more powerful then what dopamine is doing to you . You are talking about some emotional events or situations that can surely be more powerful in overriding any amphetamine effects. What ever was working before may not be working now.

I have depressions and those are more powerful then anything. Amphetamins are not able to boost my mood much anymore. Sometimes they make it even worse.I had amps for ADD only.

dreamclouds93
11-22-16, 01:13 PM
The key is to make sure you're focusing on the correct thing and THEN take the medicine. If you're on facebook and then take the medicine, it will cause you to hyperfocus on facebook. I used to have the same problem. Now, I study for 30 minutes, then take the medicine, and then study some more and I'll usually be able to hyperfocus on studying.

ADHD meds are logical when you think about it. It's just a chemical that helps you maintain focus in an unbiased way. It stimulates focus on whatever you are currently doing at the time. So AVOID distracting things when you take the medicine or you'll end up being super distracted.