View Full Version : posting to encourage others.........

fasttalkingmom
08-24-03, 05:48 PM
my kitchen table is still clutter free !!! Yahoo....
I've really kept at my family. I give then 30 mins. to get it their stuff off. Or I'm not to be held responsible for it being thrown away ...lol...

My "launching Pad" will be put to the test in 9 days, this is when my kids will be going back to school.

One thing I've read in the book that really has stuck in my head and has been very helpful....It's from pg. 9 bottom of the page "Catch the mood'"....

I've done many clean ups, thrown out bags of "junk"and organized. I start( for some crazy reason only known to me)picking up something and away I go !...lol...

Keeping this "catch the mood" in mind....

Just scrubbing the tub and not doing the rest of the bathroom, just because the "mood' struck me. I've been giving my self permission to think these times are ok...

I feel less stressed about my house. Although it's far from being clutter free,organized and picked up.

So who's got the book ? ............

queenbjan
04-19-04, 08:05 PM
I'm brand new to the forum (as of today) and don't have the book you are talking about. But the kitchen table sounds like a good place to start. I guess I'll sign off here for now and see what I can to with the table. I lost it about two months after we moved into this house that was supposed to help us to get better organized! :uhh:

I'll see if I can figure out how to get the book...

Jellybean
04-19-04, 09:07 PM
I do that.. I could be using the sink and notice the bath tub is dirty and I clean it really fast, even though I wasn't planning to.
I actually leave the vacumme sitting out plugged in so that I can do a few swipes when I feel the urge. I say I will only do 5 dishes, but once I get done I am in the mood.

My son leaves unused toothpaste blobs everynight in the sink. I leave the scrubber out and give it a once over everychance I get the toothpast is a good cleaner
Basically it takes me a few minutes to get from one room to another sometimes cause I am "catching the mood" It's a bumppy ride but the only reliable method for me.
checking the mail means grabbing the trash on the way out the front door and a feeding cats, pulling weeds in my path and picking trash, getting the mail and walking back with the trash cans. And tossing toys in the outside toybin. I can't stand any wasted moves. I have always done this as I lack motivation to start or stick to plans.
My best trick is that I have regular teaching and functions here.
I pretend that my friends don't know what a slob I am and run around cleaning everything the night before. The times I don't or can't clean I say who cares so they've seen our clutter.
My problem is I can get very detailed, and have to move furniture.
And get in corners, whether or not I want to.

evejoymet
07-19-04, 12:16 PM
Jellybean,

I do the same things, although sometimes I forget that I am going to get the mail and get myself immersed in replanting or something similar. I wonder how many ADDers move or rearrange furniture when cleaning?

WHO
08-30-04, 05:23 PM
I can't believe that I have not connected to this sooner. Just one of the many traits that I have either procured or been born with. I relate with every post in some way or another and feel soooo encouraged by people sharing their struggles. Especially since I felt that my problems were unique to me and caused many inconviences/ embarassments to my family so I should play like it does not exist and do my best to minimize it and cover it up. I am currently working on finding the unique qualities that truely make me different and special and instead of hiding them I'm showing them off and becoming an inspiration to others for my free spirited loving nature that I was ashamed of before.

gingagirl
08-30-04, 09:08 PM
I've managed to keep the kitchen relatively clean for almost a solid week now! I think that is a personal record. I start back to work tomorrow, so I fear I may not be able to keep it up ...but I'm gonna try!

FTM -- what book are you referring to? I could use a good book with strategies for keeping up with household chores.

fasttalkingmom
08-31-04, 02:27 AM
I've managed to keep the kitchen relatively clean for almost a solid week now! I think that is a personal record. I start back to work tomorrow, so I fear I may not be able to keep it up ...but I'm gonna try!

FTM -- what book are you referring to? I could use a good book with strategies for keeping up with household chores.

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Product_ADD_Friendly_Ways_To_Organize.htm

WTG !!!! I know how I felt when I did that

Kathi
11-09-04, 03:12 PM
Oh gosh, where do I start! I have been on Medication for my adhd for around 4 months now and I have completely organized my house, my yard is immaculate and you can basically eat off my kitchen floor. I remember my sister visiting from SC about a year ago and I was in my bedroom crying because I had clothes everywhere, on the floor, bed, on top of my dresser. It was horrible! She helped me get things organized, but I felt like I was drowning. I'm sure she thought I was just lazy, but that was not the case. She has visited me since I have been diagnosed and she cannot believe the change in me! IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!

fasttalkingmom
11-09-04, 08:49 PM
Oh gosh, where do I start! I have been on Medication for my adhd for around 4 months now and I have completely organized my house, my yard is immaculate and you can basically eat off my kitchen floor. I remember my sister visiting from SC about a year ago and I was in my bedroom crying because I had clothes everywhere, on the floor, bed, on top of my dresser. It was horrible! She helped me get things organized, but I felt like I was drowning. I'm sure she thought I was just lazy, but that was not the case. She has visited me since I have been diagnosed and she cannot believe the change in me! IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!

WTG !!!!! :D

Conlaw
11-09-04, 10:17 PM
Kathi,
What medication are you on? I started taking generic ritalin in October and have definitely not noticed much change (if any) in the organization of my home. More anxiety about the disorganization. Thanks, Susan

f_wcomboadhd
11-09-04, 11:14 PM
i did the whole organization thing w/ my initial surge on wellbutrin, and then a bit after the 20mg s of adderall..
but now, my kitchen bar is still cluttered..but i did have it cleared away!! i do now also have a mental play by play of everything that is going to be organized in my house..so although in a lot of ways it still functions and looks the way it did before, its a mental work in progress. whats funny is that although i actively know that the clothes that my husband and i going to get rid of are in the extra bedroom- its not a huge guilt trip for me b/c i know what i'm going to do with it and these days- i'll actually do it. i have a plan vs. in the past i would just look at a mess and feel absolutely lost and a totally goofy sense of despair.
why goofy? b/c no one it seems other than i actually gets deppressed about that stuff. thats b/c they can actually clean when they have to.

i like the julie morgenstern's book 'organizing from the inside out'
her systems are great b/c its all about what works for you and i especially like her chapter on house paperwork. thats my biggest weakness...its very difficult to know where to put that random paperwork item that doesn't fit into any neat category..and when do you throw away whatever it is? she gives you all the info...

i used to live in total shame b/c of my inability to keep my apartment spotless the way that i wanted to..i was extremely private and didn't invite anyone over to our apt . ever..anyone felt the same way? only recently did i take a step back and realize...what in the world? why have i spent all these years- my entire twenties almost cringing from the world b/c i'm inept at beating a pile of clothes?

it sucks.

i love wooden hangers, and those hangers that have four tiers for pants, and then the ones for skirts. its just fun to use! everytime i feel i have enough..i look at my closet and think..hmm. i could actually organize this further!

Kathi
11-22-04, 06:04 PM
I'm taking 20 mg of adderrall with a 10 mg suppliment.