View Full Version : Advice needed

Cantbeleveit
11-19-16, 11:02 AM
My son is a sophomore in hs and finally diagnosed with inatentave ADHD after year of struggles when he started meds he was having trouble with side effects and missed 14 days of school . during this time we had meeting with school for 504 plan and told them as Dr advised to keep him out of school until we get him on proper med and dosage they agreed now he has been doing all work he can at home was ready to return next week but find out school has dropped him from roll entered zeros in clases for work he could not do at home.was informed he could return but is going too fail all classes. I'm not sure what I can do was never informed untill after they dropped him but heard first through other son who is a senior that the principal was as

Cantbeleveit
11-19-16, 01:13 PM
I accidentally posted before finished. Anyway the principal was asking medical info on his brother then told him he offs the roll I'm not Sure what to do any advice would be appreciated

namazu
11-19-16, 01:15 PM
Is this a public school?

Public schools are required by law to provide a free and appropriate education to all students, including students with disabilities.

They cannot simply drop him from school because of a medical absence. If his absences were medically-excused -- which they should be, since you told the school he was home for medical reasons -- he should have the opportunity to make up missed work (even if it will be a challenge to get caught up).

Look up the Wrightslaw website -- they have a wealth of information about disabilities and education, including 504 plans, testing, and dealing with school districts. This may be some help to you in proceeding with the school.

Cantbeleveit
11-19-16, 01:22 PM
Yes public school . I agree it even States in school handbook that they give time for make up work due to missed days they are doing shady things not sure what I can do to me it's like they don't want him there

namazu
11-19-16, 01:24 PM
You may need to remind the school of your son's legal rights. You could start by pointing out what it says in the handbook.

The Wrightslaw site I mentioned above has some good advice for dealing with adversarial school personnel.

sarahsweets
11-19-16, 03:58 PM
If your son can get a note from the doctor the then they can just drop him.

Cantbeleveit
11-19-16, 07:49 PM
Yes he has Dr note just released the 18th to return to school they knew this in 504 meeting and agreed it's best he stayed home until meds adjusted.

sarahsweets
11-20-16, 06:33 AM
Yes he has Dr note just released the 18th to return to school they knew this in 504 meeting and agreed it's best he stayed home until meds adjusted.

When it comes to schools and kids getting the services they need for an education, there are some who will fight you every step of they way. You have to remember that in some cases, giving a child access to the services they qualify for costs them more money. This means that some schools would rather bully parents into accepting sub par accommodations. Not all schools are like this but some, especially some with smaller special needs services and less special needs students, would rather reserve the help for "the kids who really need it." This is BS of course. My son is 20 now and was diagnosed when he was 3.5. When he started school I had to read about my rights as a parent, consult a couple of people who had experience and go to battle for him. The battle was only for the first year or so until the school realized that I knew my rights and knew what the law was and would be willing to call any bluffs thrown my way.

Your son should not be penalized for anything if you have that note. It doesnt matter if he was seeing a doctor for a hang nail and was told to stay home- that note is your proof that a medical professional knows more about how to treat your son than the school does. Get in touch with the school, tell them you know your rights, and dont threaten-but really really imply that you will seek legal counsel if need be.

Cantbeleveit
11-20-16, 11:34 AM
I understand just can't believe they would do this then telling me he can come back but is going to fail anyway because of all the missed work really upsets me . he was barely failing in 2 classes now they gave him zeros in all classes for missed work and is failing so bad in 4 !!!! This is so wrong I'm beyond upset!!!!