View Full Version : How do i know if i got better? forgot pre-meds me

Jill22089
11-19-16, 01:20 PM
You know when you been on something long that you forget how u were before u started? thats my problem, how do i know if i improved? what question could i ask myself?

sarahsweets
11-21-16, 06:37 AM
Stop taking the meds- you will remember.

C15H25N3O
11-21-16, 08:55 AM
I see Vyvanse changes me a little. I am very careful with meds because I was once prescribed
to SSRI that violated my brain. Thats why I took breaks for 1-2 days after 4 days of intake
when I was new to Vyvanse. Being off the pill is the only way to see subjective how it works.

Ask good friends who have no stigma on the pills for an objective opinion.

Swissy
11-22-16, 10:11 AM
I would be the same way. Luckily I kept a daily log for a few weeks before meds and the first month on them. Plus my husband, who didn't want me to take meds, has commented more than once how drastically I have improved. Plus I am a lot happier with a lot less anxiety. Have you noticed feeling happier and worrying less? Can you ask people who are around you a lot if they notice a change in you?

namazu
11-22-16, 03:11 PM
Since one of the areas many ADHDers naturally struggle with is self-monitoring, sometimes medications can make us more aware of our weaknesses -- even if they're reduced on medications. For this reason, getting feedback from people who've know you well since before the meds (as suggested above) can be valuable.

Did you start taking medications as an adult?

If so, you could ask yourself: What prompted me to seek treatment in the first place? How am I doing at those things now?

For example:

If remembering things was a big problem for me before, how am I doing at it now?
If losing objects (wallet, keys, etc.) was a problem for me before, how am I doing at keeping track of things now?
If getting distracted while working (or doing chores, or taking care of kids, or while talking to other people) was a big problem for me before, how am I doing at it now?
If impulsivity (careless driving, overspending, lashing out verbally at people and then regretting it) was a big problem for me before, how am I doing now?

Yes, it can be difficult to remember back to a time before medications, especially if you've been taking them for a while. But if you can think of examples of specific problems that bugged you before, and compare with today, you may be able to get a feel for whether the medication is benefitting you (even in subtle ways).

Going off meds for a short time (a few days or a week only) may not give you an accurate picture. If you've been taking medications for a long time, you may experience some mild withdrawal effects (tiredness, poorer concentration than your baseline, irritability, etc.), which will make things seem worse off the meds than they really are. If you want to go this route, you may need to allow some kind of "wash-out" period -- both to clear the medication from your system (which is quick - a few days) and also to allow your brain to re-adapt to not having the medication's effects. This may take a bit longer.

If the medications aren't causing you worrisome/bothersome side effects, and you have (at some point) noticed improvements while taking medications, and you don't have reason to believe that the medications aren't working, it may be worth continuing to take the medications as prescribed. If you have reasons to feel like the medications aren't working (at all, or as well as in the past), talk to your doctor about what to do.

Another thing that may be valuable would be to make a chart -- maybe Swissy could share the log she used (or what was on it)? The simpler, the better. Energy level, mood, ADHD-related problems with daily life (losing things, forgetting things, making rash decisions, losing temper, zoning out in conversation, driving problems, etc.), sleep, diet, exercise. Even without discontinuing meds, this may be a way to identify areas that are problems for you (still), and ways that you might be able to change things.

Best wishes!