View Full Version : I want to know if I have ADD

testaomais
11-21-16, 08:20 PM
I hope this is in the right place, I'm sure you get this all the time :/

I'm kind of wondering if I have an attention issue, I have looked online and I seem to fit pretty much all the criteria, but my thoughts are most of this stuff is normal, everyone experiences difficulty concentrating on things they aren't interested in, etc... The only reason I want to ask is because I saw that you're likely to have it if you doubt you actually have it? If that makes sense, and I was thinking I didn't because I feel like most things are to some extent normal.

My other reason for doubting is because I wasn't a crazy kid, I don't remember much from when I was little (even though I'm 20) I was really shy, didn't have that many friends. When I got comfortable around people I think I would act too silly or whatever which put people off, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it.

I kinda act more hyper now that I'm more confident and stuff, I do struggle to stay seated at work and I feel kinda bad that I'm constantly on toilet breaks. I got really weird grades at school, mostly relatively good but some really bad because I lost interest in them, it takes me super long to write essays. The main reason for me wondering is sort of justification of some sort for my weird school grades.

I did have some more stuff to say but I forgot (ironic), thanks, and sorry if o put this in the wrong place.

Jeftheginger
11-21-16, 09:25 PM
Your doubts about being ADD are false not all people who th ADD are that "crazy kid" of which we are thought to be. Well I am a crazy kid but there are many times of ADD. I think you have ADD but not ADHD

Maybe anxiety too
Sort did not read the whole post too long

sarahsweets
11-21-16, 10:27 PM
I hope this is in the right place, I'm sure you get this all the time :/

I'm kind of wondering if I have an attention issue, I have looked online and I seem to fit pretty much all the criteria, but my thoughts are most of this stuff is normal, everyone experiences difficulty concentrating on things they aren't interested in, etc... The only reason I want to ask is because I saw that you're likely to have it if you doubt you actually have it? If that makes sense, and I was thinking I didn't because I feel like most things are to some extent normal.
ADHD symptoms must have been present in childhood before age 12, and impair your life in two or more ways, in six or more areas of your life to be considered adhd.

My other reason for doubting is because I wasn't a crazy kid, I don't remember much from when I was little (even though I'm 20) I was really shy, didn't have that many friends. When I got comfortable around people I think I would act too silly or whatever which put people off, but I don't know if I'm overthinking it.
I know you didnt mean what you said in a bad way- but its those sorts of stereotypes that prevent peoplefrom getting or receiving treatment. And I am serious- I know you are not being unkind- you are thinking about what you thought you knew about adhd and read what other less qualified people have said about adhd.

I kinda act more hyper now that I'm more confident and stuff, I do struggle to stay seated at work and I feel kinda bad that I'm constantly on toilet breaks. I got really weird grades at school, mostly relatively good but some really bad because I lost interest in them, it takes me super long to write es`says. The main reason for me wondering is sort of justification of some sort for my weird school grades.

I did have some more stuff to say but I forgot (ironic), thanks, and sorry if o put this in the wrong place.

Hyperactivity can often goes away or isnt present at all yet someone can still have adhd. We have to overcome the stereotypes and nonsense.

Tetrahedra
11-21-16, 10:39 PM
From what I'm reading you say, I'm understanding that you don't have much experience with ADHD and how it impacts people, which is okay. You're seeking information to help educate yourself on the topic, and that's the right thing to do.

The only thing that ADHD people have in common are the fact that they meet a set of diagnostic criteria, and even then, they might vary in which of the criteria they meet in order to receive the diagnosis. In other words, ADHD people might be loud and boisterous or shy and reserved or somewhere in between. They might have great grades or awful grades or somewhere in between. They might have tons of friends or they might have no friends or (you guessed it) somewhere in between.

The diagnostic criteria takes into consideration what traits you present and the frequency or intensity of those traits. You're right that everyone has periods of inattentiveness, or we lack motivation when starting a challenging project, or whatever. Almost everyone would be diagnosed with ADHD if it was based upon a list of "Have you ever experienced these symptoms." That's why things such as having these symptoms present before the age of 12 and having these symptoms present in multiple settings is important to take into consideration when considering ADHD.

My suggestion for you is to read through the diagnostic criteria and see if you fit. It's okay if you don't. Maybe you have something else that are causing your symptoms. There are many things that can appear to be ADHD (and I think there is a thread pinned somewhere around here about that). Also, why do you suspect your grades might indicate that you have ADHD?

testaomais
11-22-16, 05:01 PM
ADHD symptoms must have been present in childhood before age 12, and impair your life in two or more ways, in six or more areas of your life to be considered adhd.

I know you didnt mean what you said in a bad way- but its those sorts of stereotypes that prevent peoplefrom getting or receiving treatment. And I am serious- I know you are not being unkind- you are thinking about what you thought you knew about adhd and read what other less qualified people have said about adhd.

Hyperactivity can often goes away or isnt present at all yet someone can still have adhd. We have to overcome the stereotypes and nonsense.

I'm sorry, I see how what I said could come across as offensive or just bad stereotypes, it was late at night and I was quite worked up about it, I'll try harder to be more clear about it now.

As I said I don't really remember what I was like before 12, I've got very few memories of that time, I do remember that in my first few years of school my teacher said I was forgetful. I also remember taking a week off of school because I lost a worksheet my teacher told us under no circumstances to lose. That's about all I remember that I think could point towards it maybe? It's hard to tell in what other ways I could have been different, especially since I went to a school in a very unprivileged area so everyone was kind of badly behaved, etc...

From what I'm reading you say, I'm understanding that you don't have much experience with ADHD and how it impacts people, which is okay. You're seeking information to help educate yourself on the topic, and that's the right thing to do.

The only thing that ADHD people have in common are the fact that they meet a set of diagnostic criteria, and even then, they might vary in which of the criteria they meet in order to receive the diagnosis. In other words, ADHD people might be loud and boisterous or shy and reserved or somewhere in between. They might have great grades or awful grades or somewhere in between. They might have tons of friends or they might have no friends or (you guessed it) somewhere in between.

The diagnostic criteria takes into consideration what traits you present and the frequency or intensity of those traits. You're right that everyone has periods of inattentiveness, or we lack motivation when starting a challenging project, or whatever. Almost everyone would be diagnosed with ADHD if it was based upon a list of "Have you ever experienced these symptoms." That's why things such as having these symptoms present before the age of 12 and having these symptoms present in multiple settings is important to take into consideration when considering ADHD.

My suggestion for you is to read through the diagnostic criteria and see if you fit. It's okay if you don't. Maybe you have something else that are causing your symptoms. There are many things that can appear to be ADHD (and I think there is a thread pinned somewhere around here about that). Also, why do you suspect your grades might indicate that you have ADHD?

I have looked through a lot of diagnostic criteria before, the problem is it's not really clear what frequency of occurrence is considered abnormal.

For example I'm always putting things down and forgetting about them/ where I put them, I've started to notice it a lot since I've been thinking about this, it definitely happens at least once a day, for example this morning:
I am leaving the house, checking I have all my stuff, thinking "oh I have it all, this doesn't seem very add like" *goes off into thought about add*, then I get half way down the road and realise I don't have my bag and have to go back for it.

But the thing is I usually notice before it's really too late with things like that because I always routinely check my pockets and stuff as I'm cycling down the road. I could go off into more anecdotes about getting distracted at work and stuff but I don't think anyone has time for that! ;)

Also you asked about my grades, basically, I got 3 As and Bs for my A-levels (I'm from the UK) and one E, because I kinda just lost interest in that subject, it was kind of essay based and I am VERY bad at essay writing (not entirely sure why I picked that subject in the first place). I also remember decorating one of the drawings we had to do of a glacier (it was geography) with houses and stuff, not entirely sure why I did that either. Is that ADD like behaviour or is that just being dumb?

Sorry for making this so long! :(

sarahsweets
11-23-16, 07:21 AM
I'm sorry, I see how what I said could come across as offensive or just bad stereotypes, it was late at night and I was quite worked up about it, I'll try harder to be more clear about it now.

As I said I don't really remember what I was like before 12, I've got very few memories of that time, I do remember that in my first few years of school my teacher said I was forgetful. I also remember taking a week off of school because I lost a worksheet my teacher told us under no circumstances to lose. That's about all I remember that I think could point towards it maybe? It's hard to tell in what other ways I could have been different, especially since I went to a school in a very unprivileged area so everyone was kind of badly behaved, etc...
There is something called the "Conners scale/survey" Very often doctors will ask you and anyone else that knows you and remembers your childhood, to fill one out. Its sort of like a 'pre-screen' for adhd. You should see if there is one on the net and also ask your doctor.
Many people are diagnosed as adults because we can be notoriously poor self evaluators and sometimes symptoms are missed by the adhd'r but totally noticed by loved ones like parents.

I have looked through a lot of diagnostic criteria before, the problem is it's not really clear what frequency of occurrence is considered abnormal.
This is why its good to have loved ones involved or old report cards/ notes from a teacher.

Also you asked about my grades, basically, I got 3 As and Bs for my A-levels (I'm from the UK) and one E, because I kinda just lost interest in that subject, it was kind of essay based and I am VERY bad at essay writing (not entirely sure why I picked that subject in the first place). I also remember decorating one of the drawings we had to do of a glacier (it was geography) with houses and stuff, not entirely sure why I did that either. Is that ADD like behaviour or is that just being dumb?

Sorry for making this so long! :(

I would venture to say- in my opinion that grades matter very little or should be taken out of diagnostic criteria because so many of us did great in school and suffered chaos everywhere else in our lives.