View Full Version : kind of stuck at work

unwitting
11-21-16, 11:11 PM
I work monday to friday and start at the same time every morning. My end time depends on how much work there is to be done, so sometimes I go home early (nice) and other times I work a full 8 hour day. This makes me feel very frustrated at my boss, and at myself for letting this happen. I get irritable at work, even more so because my boss doesn't work at all and it's only me that does work. And if I have to stay for the full day it really makes me want to quit. When I ask my boss for less hours he asks why, and I don't feel comfortable telling him that "I just don't want to, okay?"

Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with workplace frustrations before being diagnosed? I note here that I have not been diagnosed with anything and am still learning about adhd.

sarahsweets
11-22-16, 06:16 AM
I get irritable at work, even more so because my boss doesn't work at all and it's only me that does work. And if I have to stay for the full day it really makes me want to quit. When I ask my boss for less hours he asks why, and I don't feel comfortable telling him that "I just don't want to, okay?"

Unfortunately it doesnt matter how much work your boss does because, well, He is the boss. So you havent been diagnosed? What symptoms do you have and how long have you had them?

unwitting
11-22-16, 10:51 AM
Yes, he's the boss so he doesn't have to do work, but it still frustrates me to see him "pretend" to do work. It is very fast paced and there are too many people around that it is overwhelming at times. In the early morning it is fine because it is quiet and my boss isn't in yet. It's in the afternoon when I start getting frustrated.

As far as symptoms go, once I found out about adhd and looking into it more, I find that my daily experiences could be explained as such. I have extreme focus problems, getting very frustrated at myself for not "just sit there and do it, dammit!", while pacing of course. When I want to accomplish something on my own time it never gets done because I am a huge procrastinator, and always have been. Since my personal projects don't have actual, real deadlines they never get done. It has taken me back to many instances in my childhood where adhd could explain it. I was the class clown throughout school. My class disruptions didn't seem like a problem however they were frequent, but I wasn't punished for them (only a few times).

I did only okay in school, I could have done way better and have told myself that if I were to do high school over again I would actually try and do really well (I say that but is it really true).

Very impulsive. I impulse-purchased a rodent pet one evening. With the cage and all the required things. Then when I got home I found out they can live quite long, and lost interest after a week or so.

I dropped out of college after the first year. When people ask why I dropped out I cannot really answer. I tell them that it was too expensive or too difficult to work and school at same time, but the truth is that I don't really know, I just stopped going. Didn't even tell the school, I just didn't show up on the first day of year 2.

Have had more than a dozen jobs, ranging in different things. One of my most recent jobs I quit out of frustration as well. Didn't hand in my two week notice or anything. After I finished a task one morning I just told my coworker: "I'm done. Not happy here so I'm going to go do something else". I didn't tell my boss, so he found out later when I wasn't there and the employees said I quit.

I am at the verge of doing the same thing at my current job. It was fine at the beginning because it was different, but now frustration is setting in. It doesn't help that my boss talks to me like I'm a kid, smacking my shoulder if he thinks I'm not listening. I forget what he tells me to do very often, if I don't write it down immediately it's gone. I have also been chastised for walking away when people are talking to me. But really what happens is that I am going to get something, and they tell me where to find it or something, and I understand what they are saying already, so I start walking away, but they aren't done talking. I can see how that would be rude.

Each time I learn more about adhd I can see how it is likely I have it. Sometimes I doubt it, but other times it is very strong.