View Full Version : About to get fired...again.

AndreaC
11-22-16, 07:52 AM
A couple of months ago I posted about a job I was offered but wasn't interested in taking because I knew it was a bad fit for me. At the time I was unemployed and my unemployment benefits were about to run out. So I took the job.

Things have not been going well. I'm coming up on my 90 day review and I have a feeling I'm going to get canned again. MY 30 and 60 day reviews were not good. I can't keep up with the massive pile of work getting thrown at me and, in typical ADD fashion, I can't even complete the smallest of tasks. I keep forgetting things, etc. My mgr has told me if I don't improve by the 90 day review, I'm outta there.

I've been fired 4 times in the 20 years I've been working. Each time it was devastating, but I made it through. However, this last period of unemployment I went thru before starting this job did me in financially. I have no more money in my unemployment account, my personal and retirement savings are wiped out, credit cards maxed...I have NOTHING to live on if I lose this job that I absolutely hate, but need.

I'm experiencing major anxiety and fear. Like clockwork, every night I wake up at 3 or 4am, worried about what's going to happen when that day comes. There's no way I can catch up on all this work in the next 16 days to keep this job.

I have no idea what to do. I'm the head of household raising an 8 year old with ADHD herself and my mother lives with us. I'm responsible for keeping a roof over all our heads. It's not a matter of IF this job ends, but when. I'm applying for other jobs, but it's a waiting game that I can't afford to play right now. There's just no quick fix for this and I'm scared as hell.

I haven't been treated for my ADD in years. But I realize more than ever that I can't function on my own. This disorder has destroy my life, my finances, my relationships, self esteem and confidence. I can't recall the last time I accomplished something. I need help but I don't even have the time to take off from work to seek therapy. I feel like I can't beat this thing. Sometimes I think I'm better off dead.

sarahsweets
11-22-16, 09:29 AM
A couple of months ago I posted about a job I was offered but wasn't interested in taking because I knew it was a bad fit for me. At the time I was unemployed and my unemployment benefits were about to run out. So I took the job.

Things have not been going well. I'm coming up on my 90 day review and I have a feeling I'm going to get canned again. MY 30 and 60 day reviews were not good. I can't keep up with the massive pile of work getting thrown at me and, in typical ADD fashion, I can't even complete the smallest of tasks. I keep forgetting things, etc. My mgr has told me if I don't improve by the 90 day review, I'm outta there.

I've been fired 4 times in the 20 years I've been working. Each time it was devastating, but I made it through. However, this last period of unemployment I went thru before starting this job did me in financially. I have no more money in my unemployment account, my personal and retirement savings are wiped out, credit cards maxed...I have NOTHING to live on if I lose this job that I absolutely hate, but need.

I'm experiencing major anxiety and fear. Like clockwork, every night I wake up at 3 or 4am, worried about what's going to happen when that day comes. There's no way I can catch up on all this work in the next 16 days to keep this job.

I have no idea what to do. I'm the head of household raising an 8 year old with ADHD herself and my mother lives with us. I'm responsible for keeping a roof over all our heads. It's not a matter of IF this job ends, but when. I'm applying for other jobs, but it's a waiting game that I can't afford to play right now. There's just no quick fix for this and I'm scared as hell.

I haven't been treated for my ADD in years. But I realize more than ever that I can't function on my own. This disorder has destroy my life, my finances, my relationships, self esteem and confidence. I can't recall the last time I accomplished something. I need help but I don't even have the time to take off from work to seek therapy. I feel like I can't beat this thing. Sometimes I think I'm better off dead.

Start looking aggressively now. Post to job boards. You want to do your best to have another job in the wings. What kind of work do you do?
And if you have health insurance get to a doctor before you lose it.

acdc01
11-22-16, 11:10 AM
Disclose unless you are afraid word of your ADHD will get out to outside that company in a way that can hurt your chances of finding another job. It will save your job for a little while if they haven't started the firing process yet (if they have, it's too late). Doesn't sound like you have anything to lose by disclosing so I would do it.

Are there are any accommdations that can improve your performance to be satisfactory? If so, I'd get them. I'd keep looking for another job while the disclosure buys you time to find it.

And get meds. Probably for both anxiety and ADHD. You need help ASAP. Therapy takes time. Meds act right away.

EDIT: make sure you are officially diagnosed ASAP if you aren't already. Disclosure without official diagnosis is risky.

AndreaC
11-22-16, 11:12 AM
Start looking aggressively now. Post to job boards. You want to do your best to have another job in the wings. What kind of work do you do?
And if you have health insurance get to a doctor before you lose it.

Hi Sarah,

I'm a writer and editor. I've been applying like crazy but of course I haven't heard back from anybody. I know most employers will be waiting until the beginning of the year to fill open positions, but I'm hoping something opens up for me within the next 2 weeks. Even if it's a temp position.

AndreaC
11-23-16, 09:59 AM
Disclose unless you are afraid word of your ADHD will get out to outside that company in a way that can hurt your chances of finding another job. It will save your job for a little while if they haven't started the firing process yet (if they have, it's too late). Doesn't sound like you have anything to lose by disclosing so I would do it.

Are there are any accommdations that can improve your performance to be satisfactory? If so, I'd get them. I'd keep looking for another job while the disclosure buys you time to find it.

And get meds. Probably for both anxiety and ADHD. You need help ASAP. Therapy takes time. Meds act right away.

EDIT: make sure you are officially diagnosed ASAP if you aren't already. Disclosure without official diagnosis is risky.

Yea, I know I should probably disclose but the thought of doing this has been so difficult for me. I had a friend who disclosed at her job once and it backfired severely. Not saying the same would happen with me, but I'm leery. Also, I think my biggest issue is that I haven't come to terms with the fact that I have this disorder and will and determination will not make it go away. It's something I can't control and disclosure means I have to accept it. I dunno. But I understand your point about it buying me time.

sarahsweets
11-23-16, 12:09 PM
DO NOT DISCLOSE! Sure, no one is supposed to toss you if you have a disability but what employers do is bait you, set traps, micro-manage and then use that stuff as a reason to fire you.

acdc01
11-23-16, 01:12 PM
DO NOT DISCLOSE! Sure, no one is supposed to toss you if you have a disability but what employers do is bait you, set traps, micro-manage and then use that stuff as a reason to fire you.

I disagree. I take disclosure very seriously but this is one of the few scenarios I would disclose under (unless there is a fair risk of people in other companies finding out about it and not hiring her). She has nothing to lose at this point. She's going to get fired anyway. Even if they do all that stuff, it still buys her time.

Anyway, OP is hesitant to disclose so probably won't anyway.

ToneTone
11-26-16, 06:36 PM
Before we get to disclosing or not disclosing, why haven't you been treated recently? ... The first step it seems to me is to get treated and see if that helps your job performance.

Did you not have success with treatment earlier?

Also if you've been out of the workplace and a history of getting fired, it really helps to get to counseling to help navigate what can only be an EXTREMELY STRESSFUL transition, especially in a job that doesn't match your strengths. There are night therapists and even some weekend therapists. You might be in a situation where you simply HAVE TO get to counseling and treatment if you want to survive.

And by the way, my understanding is that you can't really be accommodated for the condition unless you are being treated.

Tone

Faraway
12-04-16, 10:04 AM
He AndreaC...havenīt read from you here for a while, how did things develop?
are you ok?

pgbarrow
12-12-16, 01:32 AM
Hey,

I'm going through this now myself. It's very hard, I understand. Best of luck.

Paul

jkimbo
12-12-16, 03:23 PM
I would not disclose either unless you have a GREAT open relationship with your boss and you can trust him/her. More often then not it works against you. We are all human and make mistakes, but if you disclose any mistake you make will be attributed to your illness. Also people will talk. In the land of sharks, no good ever comes from it.