View Full Version : Seeking Booster for afternoons

OddballRoberts
11-22-16, 04:38 PM
I take 70mg of Vyvanse daily starting around 8am. It wears off around 230 or so which is great but my job is very detail oriented and needless to say, once its effect wears off, i'm not as productive. I've asked my PCP to consider giving me a small dose for the afternoons so I can be productive into the evening for work purposes but he's managed to talk me out of it twice. We've had our ups and downs and I have considered finding another doctor in the past. His bedside manner isn't exactly noteworthy. Anyway, my long winded question is, should I seek a second opinion from another doctor? Or will that look like I'm a junkie or drug seeker? I'm well informed on the drug and ahve read other success stories on here. Any and all advice or suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Traveler5
11-22-16, 06:49 PM
I don't know what the objection would be to doing that? Getting a booster prescription is quite common/reasonable for ADHDers -- especially Vyvanse where it is well known that it doesn't last more than 6 hours. I would try asking a third time and if that doesn't work you may want to try another doctor.

sarahsweets
11-22-16, 10:28 PM
I take 70mg of Vyvanse daily starting around 8am. It wears off around 230 or so which is great but my job is very detail oriented and needless to say, once its effect wears off, i'm not as productive.
I know Vyvanse is supposed to be this amazing abuse proof, long action miracle drug but IME it never lasts as long as its purported to.

I've asked my PCP to consider giving me a small dose for the afternoons so I can be productive into the evening for work purposes but he's managed to talk me out of it twice. We've had our ups and downs and I have considered finding another doctor in the past. His bedside manner isn't exactly noteworthy.
Before doing anything else i would point blank ask him: "Why is it that you are unwilling to treat my adhd effectively using medications at FDA approved doses, that are scientifically proven to work- AND specifically recommended to be taken more than once a day?"
If you are going to seriously look for another doctor then there is no harm being blunt.

Anyway, my long winded question is, should I seek a second opinion from another doctor? Or will that look like I'm a junkie or |rug seeker? I'm well informed on the drug and ahve read other success stories on here. Any and all advice or suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

I think the stigma we face because we take stimulants makes us also feel that advocating for ourselves makes us feel like drug seekers. We start to feel grateful instead of entitled.
Second opinions are there because the first ones arent always right.

OddballRoberts
11-23-16, 03:42 PM
thanks a lot. Appreciate the advice!