View Full Version : How does human self-regulation normally develop in early life?

mildadhd
11-23-16, 09:14 AM
I am hoping for a scientific discussion with other members, based on published/presented research, discussing how self-regulation develops in early life, before birth and the age of 7?

G

Little Missy
11-23-16, 09:57 AM
Google! There are pages of it.

mildadhd
11-23-16, 11:32 PM
Google! There are pages of it.

Thanks Little Missy

I am really interested googling/reading the pages that you preferred, in regards to development of self-regulation.

What key words would you recommend I google?

G

Little Missy
11-24-16, 07:03 AM
How does human self-regulation normally develop in early life?

Just copy and paste your sentence above and there are reams of pages awaiting to be read. :)

mildadhd
11-24-16, 09:10 AM
Let's start with this article. (I would like to reread, as well as give some time for others interested in discussion to read article.)

Have a nice day.

G

Developing Mechanisms of Self-Regulation in Early Life

Abstract

Children show increasing control of emotions and behavior during their early years. Our studies suggest a shift in control from the brain's orienting network in infancy to the executive network by the age of 3–4 years. Our longitudinal study indicates that orienting influences both positive and negative affect, as measured by parent report in infancy. At 3–4 years of age, the dominant control of affect rests in a frontal brain network that involves the anterior cingulate gyrus. Connectivity of brain structures also changes from infancy to toddlerhood. Early connectivity of parietal and frontal areas is important in orienting; later connectivity involves midfrontal and anterior cingulate areas related to executive attention and self-regulation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3164871/

mildadhd
12-01-16, 12:35 AM
Anatomy and Development of Executive Attention

The executive attention network is one of three neural attention networks.

These networks are distinct in that they serve different functions, have different neural anatomies, and involve different neuromodulators (Posner & Fan, 2008; Rueda, Posner, & Rothbart, 2011).

The first two networks, the alerting and orienting networks, are involved in achieving and maintaining the alert state and orienting to sensory events.

The alerting network involves the brain's norepinepherine systems arising in the midbrain and making contact with frontal and parietal areas.

The orienting network involves both inferior and superior parietal areas as well as the frontal eye fields (Posner & Fan, 2008).

The third, the executive attention network, functions to monitor and resolve conflict between other brain networks (Botvinick, Braver, Barch, Carter, & Cohen, 2001)...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3164871/#!po=11.6667

i!i