View Full Version : Domestic cats - in or out?

midnightstar
11-23-16, 10:13 AM
Is it "cruel" to keep domestic cats indoors or is it crueller to let them go outside to face whatever horrible people want to do to them?

I was having this discussion and some people say that cats belong outside even if they don't want to go outside (like say for example Ebony is still scared of the outside world and won't go out unless I go with her)

I don't let Tigger out unaccompanied because I worry about people hurting her outside, also Tigger doesn't show much interest in going outside unless she wants to hunt prey or scavenge for food in neighbours gardens.

Just want to know people's thoughts :o

Fuzzy12
11-23-16, 11:22 AM
I don't know much about cats and certainly know a million times less than you do. My gut instinct though is that if a cat likes to go outside you should let them. If they don't then there ks no need to force them.

Fortune
11-23-16, 11:29 AM
Statistically speaking:

The expected lifespan of an indoor-outdoor cat will depend on several factors, including the type of neighborhood you live in and sheer luck. But, on average, cats who are allowed to roam outdoors often don't live to see age five. Cats who are always kept safely confined can live to be 18 to 20 years old.

From this: http://www.mobilespca.org/Portals/0/downloads/documents/Your%20Cat%E2%80%94Indoors%20or%20Out.pdf

Simargl
11-23-16, 11:43 AM
My cats stay inside. I can't protect them when they're outside of the apartment. I hear coyotes at night which solidifies that decision.

psychopathetic
11-23-16, 12:01 PM
I can see how it could be cruel to never let a cat out...if the cat continually acts as if it really wants to be let out.

But I've always thought cats should be mainly indoor...it's way easier if they've been brought up from kittens as indoor cats. Taking an adult outside cat, and then locking them in doors sounds pretty rough.

But yeah...I just think there's too much danger in letting them outdoors. Other cats (and other animals) they can get into fights with, vehicles, yucky foods/trash...people.
I like the idea of keeping them nice and safe indoors.

Ebsy and Tigsy are very lucky to have such a loving and caring mommy.

sarahsweets
11-23-16, 12:06 PM
I've always believed cats are indoor pets. My neighbor's cat just got hit by a car- becasue she's "just a cat" no one including the driver stopped- I had go outside and gather the kitty to the back while my neighbor raced home

stef
11-23-16, 12:07 PM
We let our cat out when I was little but it probably wasnt a good idea, it was near busy roads (although also lots to explore, behind the house and into the other yards. I think she instinctivlely avoided the busy areas.

I would say definitely yes if you had a yard or garden with a fence.

I've seen cats on leashes, but I'm not too sure if they like it

In another apartment the cat kind of follows the owner when he walks his dog (as in "I'm way too cool for this").

psychopathetic
11-23-16, 12:10 PM
I've always believed cats are indoor pets. My neighbor's cat just got hit by a car- becasue she's "just a cat" no one including the driver stopped- I had go outside and gather the kitty to the back while my neighbor raced home

:(

Did the kitty make it?

:grouphug:

acdc01
11-23-16, 01:34 PM
I had indoor/outdoor cats when I was a kid. Half disappeared. I think they ran away because we always had 2 male cats and the beta wasn't happy about it. Cats that go outdoors are much more likely to die a lot younger.

I now believe in indoor cats. They seem to be just as happy to me though I will say, once a cat goes out they absolutely love it and want to go out again. I would take them on a leash if they wanted to go out but so far, my cat is too chicken to go out.

TygerSan
11-23-16, 01:44 PM
My stance is that it really depends on the cat. Some of them can adapt to (and may even prefer) indoor living. Others, like the cat I grew up with, would've been a neurotic mess if he'd been confined indoors all the time.

Greyhound1
11-23-16, 01:56 PM
Sounds like Fortune already posted the facts about cats being outdoors.

Growing up we lost several of our cats to the outdoors. I was devastated when I was 8 years old. I got a beautiful young cat for Christmas and I was so over joyed. I even named her Christmas.

She went outside one time and was dead before New Years. She had apparently ingested some poison somehow from somewhere.

Ever since then all my cats have been indoors only.

midnightstar
11-23-16, 01:57 PM
OK so out of the cats I've had, 4 of them have been happy indoors and only one (Dylan) really wanted to be out all the time (he was also a people cat so he would allow anyone to handle him - would literally go soppy towards everyone including the vet)

Beauty was more of a one-person cat (and that one person was me, she would only go outside if there were no other cats about and would flee back indoors the moment she saw anything move)

Dylan, as I said, he adored outside and he only came inside to sleep (where it was nice and warm), tbh I dont think he's still alive now (he was a fighter, if it moved and wasn't a human he wanted to fight with it, including dogs and the bin lorry) He was 7 when I had to find him a new home, still miss him to this day.

Ebony takes one look outside and pretty much has a nervous breakdown about the mere idea of going outside (she insists she needs me to stay with her while she's exploring, she's gradually getting better about it but even now the slightest thing can scare her back indoors, even hearing a neighbour's voice - any neighbour - can cause her to flee back inside)

Tom constantly refused to go outside, he said we could shove that idea hard up our butt, he really did not want anything to do with outside, he'd sunbathe in the doorway but would refuse to go outside into the yard or into the back garden.

Tigger likes going into the neighbours gardens to find food to bring back to the house - bird seed, bread and prey animals e.g. frogs or mice, that's the only reason why Tigger goes out. Even then I like to keep watch in case anyone nasty is about so I can let Tigger back in quick so she's not at the mercy of scumbags like Ebony was a few years ago. I don't think Tigger's previous owners allowed her out at all so the outside world came as a surprise to her.

Little Missy
11-23-16, 03:38 PM
What is really nice is to have a sunroom that can covert to screens and cats seem to really love it. They are outside but totally in and safe.

Fortune
11-23-16, 06:39 PM
I would say definitely yes if you had a yard or garden with a fence.

Cats can and do climb fences.

sarahsweets
11-23-16, 06:44 PM
:(

Did the kitty make it?

:grouphug:
No he didnt
. I knew the minute I saw him that he wasnt going to make it- it looked like his back was an unnatural state. The kids including hers were all walking out of the house for school and she had left for work. So I kept watch over the cat and kept the kids calm until she came flying home.

Joker_Girl
11-23-16, 07:55 PM
I think a pet should be in with its family most of the time.
My grandmother had some cats that were often out in the barn, but she put them in the barn and closed it up at night so animals wouldn't hunt them.
We did this with chickens also.

Joker_Girl
11-23-16, 08:00 PM

That sucks bad :(

I can't imagine just driving off. I would try to save it and would feel terrible.

I hit and killed a squirrel once, and I cried.

stef
11-24-16, 07:32 AM
Cats can and do climb fences.

ah yes...:doh:
I must have been thinking of the little back yards that are completely walled off here. Although if a cat can jump from the TV stand to the top of the bookshelf...

That's terrible about the cat, Sarah; I would be heartsick if I had done something like that.

C15H25N3O
11-24-16, 08:03 AM
I think domestic cats should "play" with mice. It is their nature.
They are indoor pets but outdoor explorers and hunters but not
everyone needs wildlife and some are too anxious to go out.

Jeftheginger
11-24-16, 11:19 AM
Out
Get a dog.

midnightstar
11-24-16, 11:28 AM
Out
Get a dog.

One problem with "get a dog" - I'm out for 9 hours a day so the dog would not get taken out during those 9 hours, not for a walk, not for a loo break, nothing because there would not be anybody to take the dog out, which would not be fair on the dog ;) imagine being locked inside without a loo for that length of time :eek:

Also, as I said, my Ebony is scared of the outside world after being hurt and abused and abandoned on the streets by low life scumbags :mad:

Fuzzy12
11-24-16, 12:33 PM
One problem with "get a dog" - I'm out for 9 hours a day so the dog would not get taken out during those 9 hours, not for a walk, not for a loo break, nothing because there would not be anybody to take the dog out, which would not be fair on the dog ;) imagine being locked inside without a loo for that length of time :eek:

Also, as I said, my Ebony is scared of the outside world after being hurt and abused and abandoned on the streets by low life scumbags :mad:

Another problem with getting a dog 9s if you'd done that then ebony and Tigger wouldn't be having the amazing home that they've got now!!

Though I'm sure you'd be great with dogs too!!

midnightstar
11-24-16, 02:09 PM
Another problem with getting a dog 9s if you'd done that then ebony and Tigger wouldn't be having the amazing home that they've got now!!

Though I'm sure you'd be great with dogs too!!

Tigger's known to be good with dogs, Ebony thinks the mere idea of a dog is too traumatising to even think about (she used to be unable to even see them on the television without having a nervous breakdown about it)

Jeftheginger
11-24-16, 05:57 PM
My dogs were abused two and starved.
Dogs need special homes
Though everyone needs a pet
Dogs are not the best for all.
I am scared of cats
I was attacked by a feral cat when I was a toddler
My dog tried to protect me
So I am unconsciously biased.

Little Missy
11-24-16, 08:39 PM
As a child my family still had the same two cats even after I graduated high school. They were allowed to go in and out at will but we didn't live near any streets or high traffic areas.

We also were very, very lucky as they never strayed from the yard. They were both well into their 20's when they were put to sleep.

Then my parents got big dogs and more cats and they all slept in my parent's double bed with them. They loved their cats and dogs very, very much.

ginniebean
11-24-16, 11:46 PM
I'm a firm believer in indoor cats. They live longer and healthier. The only option other than this is for the cat to have a screened in enclosure outside. Cat's wander, they can get lost and they can get hurt. Unfortunately there are too many people out there that will hurt a cat for sport.

I won't take any chances with my so loved cat.

psychopathetic
11-25-16, 12:08 AM
Hi Beansy! :)

(((((((Beans)))))))

...sorry for off topic! lol :p

Fortune
11-25-16, 01:22 PM
One thing about cats wanting to go outside: Cats don't know all the things that can get them. They don't know that antifreeze is poison and will kill them, they just know it tastes delicious. They don't know that traffic will hit and kill them (although most know enough to get out of the way of an oncoming car, sometimes they dodge the wrong way and sometimes they don't even realize the car is coming). They don't know about all the predators that will kill them (although they are no doubt aware that there are predators).

If a cat wants to go outside, that cat is not making an informed decision. It is far more humane to keep the cat indoors where they will live a long and healthy life than it is to let them go outside where they will only live (on average) a fourth as long.

midnightstar
11-25-16, 02:10 PM
One thing about cats wanting to go outside: Cats don't know all the things that can get them. They don't know that antifreeze is poison and will kill them, they just know it tastes delicious. They don't know that traffic will hit and kill them (although most know enough to get out of the way of an oncoming car, sometimes they dodge the wrong way and sometimes they don't even realize the car is coming). They don't know about all the predators that will kill them (although they are no doubt aware that there are predators).

If a cat wants to go outside, that cat is not making an informed decision. It is far more humane to keep the cat indoors where they will live a long and healthy life than it is to let them go outside where they will only live (on average) a fourth as long.

I think Ebony knows about the outside world being dangerous (as I said, she was on the streets after being abused then abandoned and even if she braves going just outside the back door she never goes down to the road and the moment she hears a car she's back inside, she comes back in so fast I often don't see her come back in until she stops)

She's like *whoosh* and I'm like "is Ebony in or out, Tigger?" and Ebony hears my voice and peeks out from her hiding place, sometimes quietly meows to let me know she's inside but she won't come out of hiding until I've shut the door.

And if I shut the door not realising she's outside she'll run straight back to the door and cause there's a glass panel in the door I can see her outside when she's on the step.

And my boy Dylan used to go for walks on a harness (he genuinely thought he was a dog, I am not even joking - the times we let him go out without his harness he would either try to fight with next door's dog or would try to fight the bin lorry by chasing it up the road - literally) Next doors dog was a great big husky dog.

dvdnvwls
11-25-16, 04:07 PM
If I had a cat inside me, it would benefit no one. (Least of all the cat.) The only pets I know of that are worth keeping inside are beneficial bacteria, and perhaps (depending on your point of view) mitochondria. :)

But maybe it's the mitochondria who keep us as pets - I'm not sure. :)

BellaVita
11-25-16, 04:14 PM
If I had a cat inside me, it would benefit no one. (Least of all the cat.) The only pets I know of that are worth keeping inside are beneficial bacteria, and perhaps (depending on your point of view) mitochondria. :)

Inside you? :eek:

I think you misunderstood the OP. :)

midnightstar
11-25-16, 04:15 PM

What's a mito thingie yeah that word that you said? :scratch:

BellaVita
11-25-16, 04:16 PM
What's a mito thingie? :scratch:

The mitochondria is the power house of the cell.

midnightstar
11-25-16, 04:17 PM
okay this conversation is tying my brain in knots now :o My brain does not grasp science - never has :o

psychopathetic
11-25-16, 04:20 PM
If I had a cat inside me, it would benefit no one.

...That awkward moment when the 'strange kid in class' doesn't quite get the topic...

:lol: :lol:

ginniebean
11-25-16, 05:19 PM
Hi Beansy! :)

(((((((Beans)))))))

...sorry for off topic! lol :p

hello dear friend :)