View Full Version : FYI: Vyvanse Contains Titanium Dioxide

Najam5
11-23-16, 08:56 PM
I have recently started taking Vyvanse in the last week after being diagnosed with ADHD about 7 weeks ago. I'm a science geek, so I naturally researched everything.

I noticed that Vyvanse contains titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide toxicity has been researched heavily in mice with various experiments observing toxicity to the GI tract and to the central nervous system. Information also points to the toxicity of titanium dioxide in the central nervous system. Effects such as inflammation, microglial dysfunction, and increased production of ROS. Essentially, my question is this: Is titanium dioxide found in Vyvanse harmful on a cellular level in the CNS? If so, Vyvanse could be damaging our brain cells while giving us the feeling that we're fine (when we're on the medication, of course, because of Vyvanse's monoamine/mood raising effects).

I'm bringing this up to my doctor during the next visit in a few days, I'll see what they say. My doctor doesn't seem to be a super science-focusing person (even though they're a doctor lmfao), so I'll see what I learn if I get an answer regarding this.

aeon
11-23-16, 09:31 PM
Essentially, my question is this: Is titanium dioxide found in Vyvanse harmful on a cellular level in the CNS?

There is nothing in the clinical research that speaks to this, as found in Vyvance, or otherwise.

One might also consider that if titanium dioxide consumption led to deleterious effects on the CNS that were at all significant, we would know this with near-certainty, such is the degree of its use and history thereof.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
11-24-16, 08:10 AM
Sounds interesting. Do you have any reliable sources for its contents?
I would like to have an explanation why it is working so different to
dexamphetamine. it is not only weaker due to slow pro-drug metabolizm.
The galenics of the metabolized LIS-a ----> lysin + dexamphetamin feel
better to me due to its obvious effects on monoamines. I take 35-40mg
a day and I have a all day lasting mood lifting or anti-dullant effect when
I take a microdosage of 3-5mg.

Lunacie
11-24-16, 02:30 PM
The research on cancer in rats concerned high concentrations of titanium dioxide.
The amount that is in a pill like Vyvanse is really small.

You're probably more likely to have an allergic response to Vyvanse than to
get cancer from taking this med.

Like anything we do or eat or drink, we have to weigh the benefits vs the risks.
The risks of untreated adhd are very high.

Without treatment, a child with ADHD may fall behind in school and have trouble with friendships. Family life may also suffer. Untreated ADHD can increase strain between parents and children. Parents often blame themselves when they can't communicate with their child. The sense of losing control can be very frustrating. Teenagers with ADHD are at increased risk for driving accidents. (Adults are too.) Adults with untreated ADHD have higher rates of divorce and job loss, compared with the general population. Luckily, safe and effective treatments are available which can help children and adults help control the symptoms of ADHD and prevent the unwanted consequences.
http://www.aacap.org/aacap/Families_and_Youth/Resource_Centers/ADHD_Resource_Center/FAQ.aspx

C15H25N3O
11-24-16, 02:59 PM
Here (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/ucm089823.pdf) I read Vyvanses capsules shell contains the titanium dioxide.
It is not the substance. The source should be reliable, right?

Inactive Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, and magnesium stearate.
The capsule shells (imprinted with S489) contain gelatin, titanium dioxide, and one or more of the following:
FD&C Red #3, FD&C Yellow #6, FD&C Blue #1, Black Iron Oxide, and Yellow Iron Oxide.

C15H25N3O
11-25-16, 03:59 AM
Could it be healthy to stick it to Vyvanse guidelines section?

I am happy to already open every second capsule and will open everyone in the future.

Najam5
11-26-16, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm glad that C15H25N3O pointed out that it is in the capsule shells. It probably is a negligible amount. For example, Dunkin Donuts had been using it for years in their donuts to enhance their appearance, and have only recently taken it out. They seem to have taken it out because of fear of titanium dioxide, not really because of any sudden scientific findings on it.

Thanks again. This was my first post and it is nice to see that people actively respond very quickly.

~Naj