View Full Version : Do you think I have ADD or ADHD?

tka1994
11-24-16, 01:41 AM
So I'm not sure where to begin but I guess I'll start where i think its the most relevant. So I was homeschooled until grade 10 and then I went to a private school where I performed very poorly. I had a hard time staying focused in school I would not do homework and just end up copying from one of my classmates. I tried reading the books to learn the material but I couldnít actually get through them I had/have a hard time reading. Itís like Iím reading the book but Iím day dreaming about something else at the same time so anything Iíve read I donít actually comprehend. The only classes I didnít fail were PE and wood working and auto class. I would constantly procrastinate and just could not get things done.I would just go hang out with a friend and play video games or mess around outside. I never graduated high school i just ended up take take a test like the GED and barely passing by 1 point.
I then signed up at a community college where I procrastinated to long and could not add classes. I then had to move in with family on the other side of the state in order to get classes at a different community college.

In college I have performed decently academically I consistently get bís or aís. I am constantly fidgeting or shaking my leg which drives my fellow student nuts lol. I have a very hard time actually studying and getting things done on time. I consistently turned my assignments in late and lost points because of that. the reason I didnít fail my classes was because I just choose classes that interested me and I could stay focused on them. Also the procrastination helps me study when I have a test the next day I get this later focus and I am able to pretty much memorize the material and then I can do well on my test. The only thing I can really focus on are video games I can play those for hours on end without getting bored. I choose classes that interested me so I did not take my GEís and now 5 years later now that I am at a university I am having to finish the GE classes. It took me 5 years to get from community college to a university and I still have at least 2 more to go. I have switched majors about 6 times, even now I would like to switch but I know the university will kick me out if I do. I am struggling with some of my classes because the reading requirement is very heavy and I just canít read efficiently enough. So I have to find an audiobook of the material or I just cannot get through it.
I am very disorganized, I constantly lose my keys, wallet and pencil, my rooms and desk are a mess I have a ton of stuff to get done but unless it due the very soon I just canít bring myself to do it. I have to set timers on my phone otherwise I will end up being late to class or what not.

Socially I am not very good my friends are constantly telling me stories about something that happened and I just zone out and have no clue what they said. I just have to fake it like I heard what they said and say some generic response

Sorry for the long post I am just curious as to your guyís opinion. Thanks for the responses.

sarahsweets
11-24-16, 03:54 AM
It could be adhd OR a host of other issues.Make an appt with a psyche doctor.`

tka1994
11-26-16, 02:31 AM
Thank you for your responce I scheduled an appointment!

Tetrahedra
11-28-16, 11:16 PM
Of course, we're not professionals, but it sounds very ADHD-like. The good news is that if you're in university, you can access services (possibly testing?) through your school.

Jeftheginger
11-29-16, 12:56 AM
Yep ADD alright
Not so sure about ADHD
You said you have trouble to read
yes I have text to speech apps and complied your message and listened to it
You could do that with your text books.

tka1994
11-29-16, 02:50 AM
Unfortuantely at my university they don't test for adhd. I think a lot of students tried abusing the system to get medications so they just stopped doing testing this year.

Yeah that would actually be super helpful.
What text to speech app do you use?

Swissy
11-29-16, 09:30 AM
I posted here to get opinions on whether I had ADD. I was afraid to go get evaluated. I did, and I have it. I was afraid to take meds. I did. I am amazingly better. Go get screened! I haven't been told how bad my ADD is, but I suspect pretty significant. I can't even get through long posts on this board, lol. I skim the first few lines and look for key words, so I hope I am staying within context of your original post :)

Fuzzy12
11-29-16, 10:06 AM
Definitely worth getting g evaluated.

john2100
11-29-16, 11:16 AM
Thank you for your responce I scheduled an appointment!

You can look up a test online. They all use the same kind of tests. In 5 min you 'll get your evaluation online.

https://add.org/adhd-test/
https://add.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/adhd-questionnaire-ASRS111.pdf

The problem is , that you may score enough to have ADHD ,but not really have ADD. The symptoms are the same for many other disorders and no disorders.

Send a lazy ,depressed person and he/she will have inattentive-ADD of the charts on this scale.

sarahsweets
11-30-16, 02:56 AM
You can look up a test online. They all use the same kind of tests. In 5 min you 'll get your evaluation online.

https://add.org/adhd-test/
https://add.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/adhd-questionnaire-ASRS111.pdf

The problem is , that you may score enough to have ADHD ,but not really have ADD. The symptoms are the same for many other disorders and no disorders.

Send a lazy ,depressed person and he/she will have inattentive-ADD of the charts on this scale.
Its all under the adhd umbrella now.

john2100
11-30-16, 08:13 AM
Its all under the adhd umbrella now.

:)

It's like when I would go to a GP and he would say: "It a virus, just get enough rest and drink electrolytes" I swear you could go to him with a broken leg and he would tell you it is a virus just drink electrolytes.

You go a psychiatrists and you will walk out with either: depression,ADD,OCD,bi-polar or anxiety and very rarely some schizophrenia or some exotic mix of all them. And so it begins.

But in all "seriousness" psychiatrists should come here to learn how to work and diagnose even more effectively . The speed of ADD diagnoses presented here , can't be matched by even their standards.

Fuzzy12
11-30-16, 08:24 AM
:)

It's like when I would go to a GP and he would say: "It a virus, just get enough rest and drink electrolytes" I swear you could go to him with a broken leg and he would tell you it is a virus just drink electrolytes.

You go a psychiatrists and you will walk out with either: depression,ADD,OCD,bi-polar or anxiety and very rarely some schizophrenia or some exotic mix of all them. And so it begins.

But in all "seriousness" psychiatrists should come here to learn how to work and diagnose even more effectively . The speed of ADD diagnoses presented here , can't be matched by even their standards.

I think sarah meant that adhd and add are thr same thing now and both are called adhd.

Though I think when you wrote add jn your post it was a typo.:scratch:

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding both of you and should stop interpreting. :D