View Full Version : Successful and can focus, but still have multiple thoughts at the same time

castalia
11-25-16, 09:07 AM
I am an academic with ADD and although I can focus on what I am studying and/or writing, my problem is that in addition to the subject at hand, I probably also have 2-3 additional thoughts at the same time.

Let's say I am reading a paragraph from a paper. I will be reading that and understanding it but at the same time I may be thinking about a) why my boyfriend didn't respond to my text and b) when will that woman who owes me money pay me? All this constant thinking makes me very tired and I can't function unless I have many, many breaks throughout the day. A lot of people are surprised by how productive I have been (already have 3 books and 10 articles under my name), but I can't really work to deadlines. I think it has more to do with motivation and a desire to become successful in my field than anything else.

Is this making sense? I am here to prove to you that one CAN be successful as an inattentive ADHD type, but you can't structure your work life on a 9-5 schedule.

Little Missy
11-25-16, 09:21 AM
Are you on medication?

stef
11-25-16, 09:25 AM
It totally makes sense to me...I'm very much like this at work.
only if I'm in some extreme deadline or something fascinating (ie, translation or fussing with charts and diagrams) , do i not have backround thoughts.

Little Missy
11-25-16, 09:38 AM
It totally makes sense to me...I'm very much like this at work.
only if I'm in some extreme deadline or something fascinating (ie, translation or fussing with charts and diagrams) , do i not have backround thoughts.

Absolutely, it is constant with me. I don't know what it would be like without them.

stef
11-25-16, 09:40 AM
I should have said "absorbing" instead of fascinating
I's not fascinating to make a flow chart, but I really like doing these kinds of things.

castalia
11-25-16, 12:35 PM
No, not on medication. Just supplements.
Sometimes I wonder if normal brains are like this, but I guess most people don't have multiple thoughts at the same time.
Even when I am watching a movie, I fiddle with my phone or other things.

john2100
11-26-16, 12:03 AM
No, not on medication. Just supplements.
Sometimes I wonder if normal brains are like this, but I guess most people don't have multiple thoughts at the same time.
Even when I am watching a movie, I fiddle with my phone or other things.

That is an excellent post, but we shouldn't be "guessing" if non-add people behave in a certain way or no. I would like to see some extensive research by an independent organization that would take a huge sample of non-add and add people and compere the results to create a mean . The current test they give you at the doctors office is beyond ridiculous and biased to PASS IT. We are not simple compering non-existent symptoms or existent symptoms, so the severity on the test helps but it would be interested to see a statistic of how many people who walk in thinking they have ADD walked out with ADD diagnoses.

You may get 10 replies of people describing their experiences, but how about a sample of 100,000 people. Was this ever done on a large scale?

Anybody who has a bad day or is a high achiever and a very self-critical person will walk out with ADD diagnoses based on the current test.

aeon
11-26-16, 01:46 AM
without Dex = yes, absolutely

on my med, Dex = no, whatsoever

(in both cases, when I am purposely focusing on something)

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
11-26-16, 02:35 AM
Meds. really help slow down many racing thoughts. I still have multiple thoughts at the same time but they go by slower and seem more organized. I usually have the ability to grab one and focus on it pretty well. Usually, it's the one that seems to be the most important, when I am medicated.

However, anxiety usually will totally negate it all for me.

castalia
11-26-16, 03:27 AM
All good answers.
The thing is that when I have asked people without ADHD how their thoughts are structured, they never say they have multiple thoughts at the same time. Perhaps they don't. Maybe that's why it takes me a short while to do things when I am focused while for those who focus on one thing at a time it can often take longer.

I just think that my thought process is very fast compared to the average person and I tend to grasp concepts quickly. Perhaps this is ADHD related too.

I feel very much like the guy in this article: http://www.mungosadhd.com/2010/09/day-110-on-strattera-racing-thoughts-of.html

stef
11-26-16, 03:36 AM
Its not always a bad thing;
when'Im doing something very routine, and i'm having a good day and feeling well, (enough sleep etc), I have a lot of good ideas.
at work i have to spend a few minutes evry day opening mail ( letters adressed to the firm but the name of receiver isnt on the envelope), and then i often stop and note things on my list.
however i just get negative thoughts on the bad days and its no help at all!

castalia
11-26-16, 03:47 AM
Its not always a bad thing;
when'Im doing something very routine, and i'm having a good day and feeling well, (enough sleep etc), I have a lot of good ideas.
at work i have to spend a few minutes evry day opening mail ( letters adressed to the firm but the name of receiver isnt on the envelope), and then i often stop and note things on my list.
however i just get negative thoughts on the bad days and its no help at all!

Exactly. The days when my obsessive thoughts are loud are the worst. The problem is that I can't predict on which days I will get obsessive (it tends to make me procrastinate of give up on projects). The supplements I take (theanine, rhodiola, fish oil, B complex), which boost dopamine, help somewhat but they are not enough and I have to cycle them in order not to build tolerance.

john2100
11-26-16, 07:00 AM
How you tried posting a question like this on non ADD forum?

Let say a forum that deals with studying techniques, forum where researchers go .

And If you do , I would be great if you didn't give them even a hint of you having ADD or what you are doing. When you get let say 50 responses from 3-5 different forums, that would be more valuable to you , then getting a response from ADD people.

I'd be very interested in an outcome and link to the treads if you end up doing it.

I think that you are wondering ,if non-ADD people have multi toughs right?

castalia
11-26-16, 08:50 AM
How you tried posting a question like this on non ADD forum?

Let say a forum that deals with studying techniques, forum where researchers go .

And If you do , I would be great if you didn't give them even a hint of you having ADD or what you are doing. When you get let say 50 responses from 3-5 different forums, that would be more valuable to you , then getting a response from ADD people.

I'd be very interested in an outcome and link to the treads if you end up doing it.

I think that you are wondering ,if non-ADD people have multi toughs right?

Yeah, but I don't have the time to keep up with 3-4 other forums. Plus there is always the possibility that you may run into, say, 25/50 people who are trolls or lying.
Questions like these are also too complicated for non-ADHD people to understand. They may, for example, have sequential thoughts and misinterpret them as 2-3 thoughts at the same time. It is better to ask people who have experience with both normal folks and ADHDers, i.e. psychologists or even people who have both types within their own families. By the way, in my family I am pretty sure that my dad was ADHD and passed it on to me. My mom isn't and I've asked her about this; she says she thinks about one thing at a time or nothing at all sometimes.

stef
11-26-16, 09:30 AM
Re your last sentence: totally the same situation!
Will write more about this later

Ronelh
09-16-17, 01:28 PM
I am an academic with ADD and although I can focus on what I am studying and/or writing, my problem is that in addition to the subject at hand, I probably also have 2-3 additional thoughts at the same time.

Let's say I am reading a paragraph from a paper. I will be reading that and understanding it but at the same time I may be thinking about a) why my boyfriend didn't respond to my text and b) when will that woman who owes me money pay me? All this constant thinking makes me very tired and I can't function unless I have many, many breaks throughout the day. A lot of people are surprised by how productive I have been (already have 3 books and 10 articles under my name), but I can't really work to deadlines. I think it has more to do with motivation and a desire to become successful in my field than anything else.

Is this making sense? I am here to prove to you that one CAN be successful as an inattentive ADHD type, but you can't structure your work life on a 9-5 schedule.
I have a master's degree and I am in a profession that is quite academic also. I have been in it for about 10 years and I am very happy with what I'm doing.

But I can identify with all you are saying about several things going on in your mind at the same time. I thought everyone was like that. I guess not!

I cope like you, taking lots and lots of SHORT study breaks ... that works better than fewer long breaks. I set a very small goal and as soon as I reach it, i take a two minute break. I only work effectively in long stretches if I become hyperfocused and feel I am "on a roll". Then I could work for hours without a break if nothing happens to interrupt me. But unfortunately, I can't hyperfocus on command.