View Full Version : How does adderall not improve grades?

adhdgirl1234567
11-25-16, 04:56 PM
Ive seen TONS of people online say adderall is useless and that it doesnt improve grades. But how is this even possible?? Since adderall makes you able to study for a long time, shouldnt that greatly improve your grades compared to not studying at all? And they claim that it makes you THINK you improved even though you didnt. How the **** does it make someone think "i got 90% compared to the 90% i got last time, omg i improved so much!"

sarahsweets
11-26-16, 12:50 PM
Ive seen TONS of people online say adderall is useless and that it doesnt improve grades. But how is this even possible?? Since adderall makes you able to study for a long time, shouldnt that greatly improve your grades compared to not studying at all? And they claim that it makes you THINK you improved even though you didnt. How the **** does it make someone think "i got 90% compared to the 90% i got last time, omg i improved so much!"

What are you using adderall for? Adderall has nothing to do with grades or studying. It treats impairments and sure, it can help you focus on studying but thats not what its for. It doesnt make you think anything. You either are able to treat your impairments or not. Its not meant for school work alone, Adhd affects all areas of your life.

Fuzzy12
11-26-16, 01:03 PM
It doesn't directly improve your grades but it gives you the possibility to improve your grades.

namazu
11-26-16, 08:09 PM
Adderall may increase focus for most people, but it has limitations and downsides.

First, it can cause insomnia. Some people who are prescribed Adderall may experience insomnia as a side effect. People who misuse Adderall (taking more than prescribed, or taking it without a prescription) may be trying to get away with needing less sleep, but it doesn't work that way. The body needs sleep.

Second, it can cause jitteriness and/or anxiety, which may be made worse with caffeine or cigarettes.

Third, it can have some other nasty side effects, especially when misused.

People who misuse Adderall to try to cram for a test may find that the anxiety, the lack of sleep, and the other side effects do more harm than good. Staying up too late to study, and/or studying without any breaks to let the material sink in, and/or failing to study throughout the term (thinking it's possible to make up for it with an Adderall-fueled study binge) are rarely effective study strategies.

For some people with ADHD who are prescribed Adderall, the medication may not be effective for them, or the right dose for them, or it may have unwelcome side effects.

While Adderall, when effective, helps treat ADHD symptoms (like distractibility, impulsivity, and restlessness), it doesn't give a person instant study skills or knowledge. ADHDers taking medication still need to do the work in order to do well, and that may involve seeking additional support and using self-management strategies.

Some people with ADHD also have learning/processing disorders. While Adderall may help with the ADHD symptoms, it won't treat the other learning/processing problems directly.

If you have ADHD and you're seeing benefits with medication, that's great! Keep working hard and advocating for yourself.

If you have ADHD and you're not seeing benefits from Adderall, talk to your doctor to see whether there are medication changes or other strategies you could use.

Most high schools and colleges have disability support services that can be a great help, and they may have courses or workshops designed for students with disabilities to help you learn and use study skills and other life-management strategies. Guidance counselors and teachers/professors/instructors may be able to provide some assistance or advice on effective studying, too.

If you don't have ADHD, don't look to Adderall to help you with studying. There are other resources available, and these other resources are legal, ethical, and healthy! Start by Googling "study skills" (and name of subject if you're looking for subject-specific tips).

For students with and without disabilities, there are usually more general tutoring and writing centers and counseling centers that can provide tips for making the most of your time or tackling difficult material.