View Full Version : Clarity vs distraction ,,,,adderall vs supplements

john2100
11-26-16, 10:01 PM
In the past month or so , I was considering going back on adderall,
I started to take more supplements since I was off of adderall.

Nothing special typical mix from tyrosine to fish oil.(about 15 a day)
I haven't noticed any improvements until about a week ago.
In the past week a added st.john wort and starting to drink yerba mate tea instead of coffee. About 3-4 cups a day.

What i have noticed that my depression has lifted, little bit.

Compering me on adderal and off adderall

On adderall when I started to take it I could focus better on a task and actually finish something . I had more energy on it, but also I felt more tired in the evening. I could do more work ,because I could focus better,but I would focus on some not so important stuff too. Not intentionally however. I was almost obsessed with details and that wasted a lot of my time. However I didnt have a clarity that I have now. I thought I had it when I was on adderall but, I started to realize I didn't actually

Now taking this batch of supplements I have clarity in thinking that I have remembered to have before adderall. Now I can see the advantage and disadvantages better then ever before. But the problem is I get more distracted physically and mentally. However I can prioritize better so I don;t waste much time on useless details.

With adderal it was one pill a day ,now about 12-15 supplements a day but I get also completely different effects from both .One gives clarity the other eliminated distractions better.

C15H25N3O
11-27-16, 12:31 AM
Why not throw (increasing) microdosages of adderall into the supplements to look for clarity and stimulation balancing each other?

Simple set theory but dont serve the dishes to salty not to diffuse the spices flavor.

Just to mention:
Trying out substances like supplements is typical ADHD related substance abuse = self-medication. it is not only about addiction.

john2100
11-27-16, 12:49 AM
Just to mention:
Trying out substances like supplements is typical ADHD related substance abuse = self-medication. it is not only about addiction.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?
If someone is on adderall and decides to add tyrosine ,theamine,B complex etc for better overall health and brain function he is self medicating as well.
But it is ok, because are got already adderal from a doctor and a doctor said it was ok to add it.

But if someone decided to try commonly used supplements becasue adderel lost effectiveness is doing it because of substance abuse???

Taking supplements as a substitute for adderal will not do it for anybody who wants to find replacement for adderall.

C15H25N3O
11-27-16, 01:17 AM
I dont mean anything negative – I just try to delete the co-morbidity or disorder stigma of substance (ab)use as it is regular ADHD behaviour. There is a lot of sugar abused in ADHD.

Everything someone profits neuro-chemical is use. Abuse is using substances that dont fit the individual neuro-chemics. The result is losing control which can end in addiction sometimes.

At least abuse is a negaitve accentuation of use. Lets talk about use.

john2100
11-27-16, 08:53 AM
I dont mean anything negative – I just try to delete the co-morbidity or disorder stigma of substance (ab)use as it is regular ADHD behaviour. There is a lot of sugar abused in ADHD.

So if it that much different if someone becomes a vegetarian or just eats organic food or raw food ? If you are trying to delete disorder stigma of substance abuse (use) in ADHD why are you bringing it up in such a obscure negative way ? You could say based on same logic that substance abuse then change it to "use" is a typical behavior in today's society based on a fact that some is taking daily multivitamin to enhance their mental and physical well being.

Abuse is using substances that dont fit the individual neuro-chemics.

"Substance abuse, also known as drug abuse, is a patterned use of a drug in which the user consumes the substance in amounts or with methods which are harmful to themselves or others, and is a form of substance-related disorder. Widely differing definitions of drug abuse are used in public health, medical and criminal justice contexts. "

"Drugs most often associated with this term include: alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, cannabis, cocaine, methaqualone, opioids and substituted amphetamines."

We better add fish oil,tea,multi -vitamins, tyrosin there as well.

Just by doing so we'll have 100milion of people who will need a potential treatment for substance abuse or "use"

How do we know that vegetarian food or daily vitamins fits ones individual neuro-chemistry?
Does adderal and ritalin fits ones individual chemistry?
You made such a broad definition that in a sense every person from ADD to people with DEPRESSION are abusing their drugs. You can't say say prozac or adderal fits one neuro-chemistry right?

All I wanted to say that there are positives and negatives to each approach and I have described my experience . I was surprised by clarity when being off of adderal but also the level of distraction which is larger then off adderalll but better with supplements then off and you respond by pointing to substance abuse and then turning it to substance use and stigma around it. I would have deleted this thread altogether if I could because it is completely stirred off topic,because I had to response to it.

Fuzzy12
11-27-16, 09:16 AM
Interesting. For me dex provided both clarity and being more immune to distractions and a lot of other benefits.

I've found that multivitamins help sightly with energy but not with adhd symptoms. Not sure which substance exactly helps.

I take omega 3 as well with no apparent effect.
My mom reports great improvements in energy and mood though. Maybe in should try tyrosine.

john2100
11-27-16, 09:38 AM
Not sure which substance exactly helps.

me neither

It a never ending trial and error. With adderal one -pill ,,,with supplements 12 pills

I have to take some supplements for a different physical health conditions so my list is rather large.

for that diferent condition: B12,b50,D,zn,A,fihs oil,ca,mg,k2,niacin
for other: theamin,tyrosine,multy, sometimes 5thp and st.wort and tea.

sarahsweets
11-27-16, 11:18 AM
Just to mention:
I think you are confused about what substance abuse is. Trying out things like supplements can sort of be like self medication in a sense- but those substances are not addictive, do not make the user want more and more of them, are not impairing and do not increase in efficacy when a dose is increased.
Self medicating is different in some ways then substance abuse.
Someone who self medicates their adhd by smoking meth is very different from someone who self medicates their adhd by consuming caffeine.

sarahsweets
11-27-16, 11:19 AM
John- what if you settled on a mix of both adderall and supplements? Thats what I do.

john2100
11-27-16, 11:40 AM
John- what if you settled on a mix of both adderall and supplements? Thats what I do.

That would be an ideal solution, but for whatever reason with adderall, I always felt like it was wrong to take it. I can't explain why . Even when it was working at the beginning. I never abused it, I had periods where I didnt go to feel my scripts for 2 month ,because of this feeling. So there was no addiction either. Maybe psychological , where I was thinking to go fill the script when i was distracted way too much . But I think I have 10x stronger stronger psychological addition even to coffee. I cant go a day without it.
I was mostly at 10mg IR x 2day . Very briefly on 30-35mgIR a day total.

C15H25N3O
11-27-16, 01:52 PM
Sorry john2100.

Somehow it is typical ADHD to be triggered by the less informative part of a post or to start discussions for nothing.

I think I answered you with my first post although it contained a statement.

Why not throw (increasing) microdosages of adderall into the supplements to look for clarity and stimulation balancing each other?

The content you maybe not understood cause it was not expressed exactly:
Dont just take stimulants and supplement to their max. Adderall is a stronger than supplements and its prescribed dosage effect could eliminate your
supplements effect. Thats why I mentioned microdosaging and reflective dosage increasing.

My first reply contained nothing but using supplements and stimulants together and as you are a reflective guy who seems to feel slight benefits I threw in the
idea of microdosaging or increasing the dosage by milligrams to find a sweetspot where clarity and attraction happen.

If someone wants to discuss words like substance, drugs, medsm food or water, no problem.
If you want to discuss abuse of a substance lets talk about nutrition and supplements.
If you want to discuss addiction lets not only talk about "addictive" substances cause beer is no substance.

If someone thinks ADHD substance abuse is only linked to addictive drugs rethink what our meds are.
ADHDs impulsivity can make me also abuse the substance hydrochloric acid to clean my toilet.
If someone benefits from Dex but not from MPH but uses MPH to fall in sleep, what is it use or abuse?
And if you intake double dosage than doc prescribed it is abuse again.

This thread is not about using or abusing substances and my primary intention was nothing else than to express ADHDers are not recipient of docs order cause
they never stop trying out things that could help. So let me finally ask is trying out abuse or uncontrolled use? No, it is not. It is ADHD.

Why dont you ask me how I mean:

Life is simple but someone always can make it complicated.

Usa and abuse are not classified by substances schedule status. One of the most abused substances is sugar.

john2100
11-27-16, 02:37 PM

I read your ideas before about microdosing and I actually like them.

You seem to come across as a someone who I agree with on many occasions, so thanks for clarifying your substance abuse comments .

C15H25N3O
11-27-16, 03:19 PM
I should not use the m-word "microdosaging" too often as it can be hated by others.

I wrote:
Simple set theory but dont serve the dishes to salty not to diffuse the spices flavor.

I mean if I have a very good effect only using my most favourite supplement CBD-oil
but also have a good effect only using MiVyvanse it does not mean taking both at once the
effects will add. In this case 1+1≠2 because substances influence or modulate each other
in a different way and at different dosages.

I used the kitchen metapher to express you cannot put your whole weeks food into a
blender and hope for a tasty smoothie while getting some ugly mash.