View Full Version : Do ADHD meds permanently alter your brain?

castalia
11-28-16, 05:06 AM
Do they change your brain for good once you stop taking them? For those of you who have been on Adderall, Ritalin etc. and then came off it, did you notice massive changes in your personality/the way you behave?

sarahsweets
11-28-16, 05:43 AM
Ive been on meds for over 15 years and have not had anything permanent during gaps due to pregnancy etc.

castalia
11-28-16, 06:21 AM
Ive been on meds for over 15 years and have not had anything permanent during gaps due to pregnancy etc.

You mean you went back to your pre-med self when you were off the meds during pregnancy? I'm sure hormones play a big part in how you react to events when you are pregnant but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has been off meds for a year or two.

sarahsweets
11-28-16, 06:33 AM
You mean you went back to your pre-med self when you were off the meds during pregnancy? I'm sure hormones play a big part in how you react to events when you are pregnant but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has been off meds for a year or two.

Yes, premed self with the exception of what I call 'pregnancy brain' which, with the adhd was like adhd on steroids!Distracted, forgetful, tripping all the time. But I stayed off stimulants through each pregnancy and through breastfeeding which to be fair, never lasted more than a month or two because God didnt make my girls so good for breast feeding!

C15H25N3O
11-28-16, 07:47 PM
ADHD meds by meaning stimulants dont surprise with a new ego after stopping them but
they slightly change your ADHD tendencially like they feel when they work but it is still
someones personality and untreated ADHD will also change during life-time. There is no bad
surprise and you can watch what it does to you. You have to watch. I appreciate a huge load
of self-reflection. I am very individual and I am different compared to empiric studies. I dont
trust scientific "evidence", as maths is no evidence for big bang theory. You know what I mean?
I dont trust the doc but check the meds effects on me. A good doc will ask if you are yourself
when on stimulants but some people like more to be on drugs than to care for themselves and
they will lie at the doc.

I must mention I was prescribed to SSRI-anti-depressants after a heavy workoholism induced
burn-out. They made me very unusual feeling like on happy-pills from day one. Normally they
show effects after 4 weeks. Finally the made me fat, reduced testosterone and they induced a
generalized anxiety disorder which I did not realize over 12 years.

Mistreatment and abuse of psycho-pills over months can make uncontrolled results.

Stimulants are built to stimulate and other pills are made to change neuro-chemics.

If a med does not fit: Stop it!

john2100
11-28-16, 08:09 PM
Do they change your brain for good once you stop taking them? For those of you who have been on Adderall, Ritalin etc. and then came off it, did you notice massive changes in your personality/the way you behave?

That has to be measured and tested scientifically with pre meds test and post meds test.
Otherwise you will only get anecdotal evidence that may be biased, that may stir you one or the other way.

Just think about this:

If meds DO changes one's brain after stopping them , but the part of brain that has been changed doesn't allow us anymore to objectively compere oneself to pre med oneself , you will not be able to get truth anyway. Even if a person answering you is trying be honest .

C15H25N3O
11-29-16, 09:28 AM
That has to be measured and tested scientifically with pre meds test and post meds test.
Otherwise you will only get anecdotal evidence that may be biased, that may stir you one or the other way.

You cannot measure personality, emotions and thoughts but you can see peoples reaction on your function in society.

Swissy
11-29-16, 09:36 AM
I know amphetamines don't stay in your system long, and I know this is probably not true, but I feel like my little 10mg of adderall IR jump starts my brain and my mood to the point that many days I feel like I don't need my full 10mg 2nd dose. Some days I totally need it as evident by my ADD scatterbrain returning... I just started the 2nd dose so I will take half on days I feel I need it. So while it doesn't permanently alter your brain, maybe the "boost" can last? Probably psychosomatic right?

Little Missy
11-29-16, 09:47 AM

Being an academic and all, I figured you'd be privy to this already for your research.

john2100
11-29-16, 10:26 AM
You cannot measure personality, emotions and thoughts but you can see peoples reaction on your function in society.

Of course you can , how do you think psychologist make psychological profiles and diagnoses? Do they call your relatives and ask their opinions?

But the test would have to take into consideration that new experiences and information were added to the brain during the period a patient was on meds.

But it can certainly be done and is being done .

Peoples reactions on your changes can be taken into consideration too, but not as major factor.

I.m supresied big pharba didn't jump on this idea yet, imagine charging $650 a person , all paid by insurance, and everybody has to take it,to "protect" a patient.
That test would of course be biased just as a typial ADD test is biased now, but that would lift their net profit margin , as no manufacturing is necesarry.

Lets look at a simple emotions test with wellbutrin for ADD and depression:

Pre wellbutri: Do you feel you will ever achieve great sucess in your life? "I feel like there is no hope, desperate, like a loser."
On wellbutrin: Do you feel you will ever achieve great sucess in your life? "I feel good, I think I can achieve something finally"
After wellbutrin: Do you feel you will ever achieve great sucess in your life? " I feel like meds were helping me, I'm starting to feel desperate again"

Simple but it measures emotions.

But real test would include much more from :emotions,social interaction,cognitive abilities, IQ test, problem solving,memory test, actual achievements on meds, off meds , etc

john2100
11-29-16, 10:47 AM
Being an academic and all, I figured you'd be privy to this already for your research.

In all fairness, her education is not in the field of psychiatry and I don't believe she is actually doing a research just trying to get opinions from other members who have been around for a while and been studying the subject for many years ,such as yourself.

john2100
11-29-16, 10:50 AM
Castalia, are you asking this because of intellectual curiosity or because you are considering getting meds ,but worrying about possible long term effect on your brain ?

john2100
11-29-16, 11:04 AM
I dont trust scientific "evidence", as maths is no evidence for big bang theory. You know what I mean?

Wow,That would be an interesting new tread but in a different category. I could see this turning into 1000's replies long tread. "big bang theory" hence the THEORY,,,general THEORY of relativity,,,, "Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking" And math proves the big bang theory,but it doesn't mean that it is how big bang happened. But math certainly proves the current widely accepted theory.

The problem with only self examination is that you can be biased. Not only biased but without even realizing it. The only way to get truth is a scientific test. I agree that doctors opinion is far from perfect but so is yours. You are too subjective without realizing it , and a doctor is too objective because of many theories and general experiences without realizing it.

I think in 50 years we will be able to measure any disorder without a doctor simple by computers and other technology and taking guessing and experiments completely out from this complex field.

Little Missy
11-29-16, 11:19 AM
In all fairness, her education is not in the field of psychiatry and I don't believe she is actually doing a research just trying to get opinions from other members who have been around for a while and been studying the subject for many years ,such as yourself.

What subject? The subject of this thread? No. I've never cared a whit about whether my brain will be permanently altered. Ever. From anything. But, by all means, carry on.

C15H25N3O
11-30-16, 08:28 AM
Dont we go to the doc and ask for meds to alter our brain but find out we have the full effect only while being on stimulants?

john2100
11-30-16, 08:43 AM
Dont we go to the doc and ask for meds to alter our brain but find out we have the full effect only while being on stimulants?

Yes, but the question is : Do ADHD meds permanently alter your brain? when you stop taking them ,

WordWiles
12-13-16, 12:36 PM
I have been switching through meds for the past year or so, trying to find the right one or combo. It's really hard, and I still am nervous about long-term effects, just as you are. I am fearful that I will become more and more dependent and that my dose will need to increase in order to maintain the same level of focus and function. For that reason, I've decided, with the approval of my doc, to take 'as needed' for days when I think I'll need it.

ADHD is my life.
All the rest is.... what were the details?
(my blog www.wordwile.wordpress.com (http://www.wordwile.wordpress.com) )

mctavish23
12-13-16, 05:14 PM
Quick answer to the OP's question = No

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Little Nut
12-13-16, 07:59 PM
Let's say you have been on stimulants for an extended period of time, say 20 years. No serious side effects or excessive dosing.

Then let's say we are able to measure the variability in psych disorder symptoms.

MY gut says that the variability due to the passage of time (aging?) and other external stimuli would be greater than the variability due to the prolonged stimulant usage.

My point is just a different perspective and until you actually can and do measure it, it is just guessing.

Little Missy
12-13-16, 08:01 PM
I WISH they did. But they do not.

bluefoxicy
12-14-16, 12:55 PM
Treatment of ADHD in children causes a statistical decrease in ADHD symptoms in adulthood without medication. The brain apparently does change. Few studies have tracked this, however; and there's a statistical error in which newly-diagnosed adults have almost never been treated as children for ADHD, while children diagnosed for ADHD frequently receive treatment. Controlling for these variations is hard.