View Full Version : Any ADHD academics on this board?

castalia
11-29-16, 06:03 AM
I'm sure there must be more than one. Who are you and what field are you in? PhD student, postdoc, professor?

TygerSan
11-29-16, 06:25 AM
Lapsed academic and sometimes adjunct professor here. Made it through one very tough postdoc and decided my heart wasn't in research. I don't mind teaching so much.

Fuzzy12
11-29-16, 08:39 AM
Post doc (I do both research and teaching ) ... soon to be unemployed. :)

castalia
11-29-16, 12:33 PM
Post doc (I do both research and teaching ) ... soon to be unemployed. :)

I'll probably join you in unemployment soon, unless one of my applications is successful.

snjyds
04-29-17, 12:15 AM
I am an academic. Faculty.

Helloiamdani
04-29-17, 06:41 PM
Unemployed. My education is in Linguistics.

EuropeanADHD
04-30-17, 06:06 AM
I switched to business after getting a Ph.D. Still not sure whether it was a good choice.

sarahsweets
04-30-17, 06:56 AM
Graduated with a BA in English Lit and was really proud of myself that I did it when I was 21, married and had a baby already. I almost gave up. Unfortunately, I only ever had average jobs as opposed to a career, and I have been home as a "house wife" with the kids for 14 years. I try not to let it get to me. Sometimes I hear things like:
"I wish I could afford to stay home with the kids" Of course affording day care is so much that it makes working useless unless its a lot of money.
Plus I have been on disability since I last got out of the mental ward, which some people turn their noses up when they find out. I am on disability for PTSD, GAD, ADHD, bipolar II. It was severe enough where I would experience Fugues which were terrifying.

I also hear stuff like" Your job is just as hard as mine but you dont get paid". While true, it still doesnt sound genuine sometimes.

Sorry to hijack, just wanted to share.

Fuzzy12
04-30-17, 08:29 AM
Officially unemployed now. I need to start looking for job again soon. I don't think I want to go back to academia. It's too stressful at least for my particular type of adHD.

I'm not sure what else I csn do though.

EuropeanADHD
04-30-17, 08:41 AM
Officially unemployed now. I need to start looking for job again soon. I don't think I want to go back to academia. It's too stressful at least for my particular type of adHD.

I'm not sure what else I csn do though.

If you're in MINT or business it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

If you graduated in humanities... I wish you a lot of patience, since it can be hard. Good luck!