View Full Version : 51 yrs old, new ADD diagnosis

amoselvis
11-29-16, 10:32 PM
I have managed depression, anxiety and ptsd throughout my life. Professionally employed, good at my job, raising my daughter well, managed a difficult divorce etc etc. Despite depression and ptsd handled, I continue to struggle with folding laundry, washing dishes, picking up the mail, sorting the mail, making the bed, cleaning out the refrigerator, paying bills on schedule etc. It seems so silly to even say these things.....At work, I am a rock star, moving easily between multiple situations and executive thinking/problem solving. It seems at 51 years, I may have been undiagnosed for years. I am starting my Adderall tomorrow. I am grateful my doctor thinks this might be more than being overwhelmed with my responsibilities. That she thinks my life could be different. It is just how I have always lived.

When I search on google, everything is about kids and add. Anyone out there with a something similar to my situation? Any experience you think might be helpful to me, please share.

I am in shock that my home life disorganization could be more than just me being done from work???

Thinking this could be different makes me hopeful but I am still in disbelief. This has been my life for 51 years.

Thanks to all who share knowledge that might help me, a 51 year old divorced, single mom of an 11 year old daughter.

sarahsweets
11-30-16, 02:39 AM
I was diagnosed at age 6 but not treated until I was in my 20's. I can identify with you alot.

ApianDrone
11-30-16, 12:58 PM
I was recently diagnosed (T.B.I. and ADHD with major depression). I'm in my 40's. The good news--All the skills and strategies I built and learned over the decades, now work.

I find the whole thing humorous. Better than being bitter. Good on your doc for looking into adhd as a possibility. Good luck!

ToneTone
11-30-16, 09:39 PM
Plenty of us out here.

You have a smart doctor. I got diagnosed at age 46.

Here's a paradox: It was only after I got diagnosed that I owned up fully to my struggles with completing tasks, getting organized, attending to living space, making decisions. I sort of "hid" that side of me from the world and from myself--because in the regular culture, the only explanation is laziness or not trying hard enough.

Now, I just come right and tell people, "I'm not into details like that." I don't say I have ADHD, but I own my brain and the way it works. And I can even anticipate ahead of time what work will wear me down and I try to work around that.

And BTW: the people with neat houses also have jobs and families, right?

Good luck.

Tone

amoselvis
12-02-16, 01:06 AM
Thank you for your posts. I have taken Adderall for two days. Honestly, I don't see a difference. The doctor told me it will be trial and error with medications for some time. Is it possible it will start working? I have been recording everything as she told me. Did 10 mgs yesterday morning and 20 mgs at lunch time. Today did 20mgs in the morning at 20 mgs at lunch time. I will do the 20 / 20 tomorrow and see what happens. I will take before eating...maybe that will help?

It was helpful to see posts from people diagnosed after living life for some 30-40-50 years. Thanks so very much.

I am trying to be hopeful, but struggling right now that I even thought for a moment life could be different. I need to remember the doctor and pharmacist saying this could be trail and error with different meds for some months.

Have any of you gone through this? Did you find a medication that made a difference and your life is better now? Please share your experience with meds. I would be so appreciative. This is all so freaking new for me......

Little Missy
12-02-16, 11:23 AM
Yes, and no. I was given a prescription of Dexedrine Spansules and went about my merry way and daily I began realizing what I need to do in a better way. No trying out this or that or logging my whatevers every hour, it just plain worked.
As years went by I switched to Adderall and it was completely differ, and still good.

Now I switch between the two back and forth and do very well on them.:)

sarahsweets
12-02-16, 11:44 AM
Thank you for your posts. I have taken Adderall for two days. Honestly, I don't see a difference. The doctor told me it will be trial and error with medications for some time. Is it possible it will start working? I have been recording everything as she told me. Did 10 mgs yesterday morning and 20 mgs at lunch time. Today did 20mgs in the morning at 20 mgs at lunch time. I will do the 20 / 20 tomorrow and see what happens. I will take before eating...maybe that will help?
I know when I started treatment I wanted to tell the world about how things were gonna change and was excited to begin. Then came the trial and error- starting with ritalin. It took me a good 6 months or so to find the right med and combo and its been relatively the same ever since. I know hearing someone say "youll know when it works" is a pain in the butt- but it is very noticeable. Doctors tend to start low and slow and move up from there. The jump from 20 to 40 is pretty significant so I would give it a week before deciding its not the right dose. The max for adderall for someone with ADHD is 40mg, The max for narcolepsy is 60mg. Mind you, these are daily recommended doses by our wonderful powers that be- not maximums as in safety. I see nothing wrong with taking 60mg for adhd. I do and also a small booster of dexerine in between.

I am trying to be hopeful, but struggling right now that I even thought for a moment life could be different. I need to remember the doctor and pharmacist saying this could be trail and error with different meds for some months.

Hey we have adhd- we want it yesterday.

Have any of you gone through this? Did you find a medication that made a difference and your life is better now? Please share your experience with meds. I would be so appreciative. This is all so freaking new for me......
I have been on stimulants for 15 years and its saved me.

Bebe11
12-06-16, 07:29 PM
I agree with "sarahsweets". It takes time for medication to be regulated in your body...sometimes up to a year! I think there are probably a lot of people like you who are struggling, but they don't seek help. I applaud you for seeking help. Stay in touch with your doctor and be sure to share how you are feeling. Hang in there!!

Lunacie
12-06-16, 09:05 PM
I was diagnosed with depression when I was 25 but doctor never recommeded any meds. :(

When I was 53 a friend suggested my granddaughter had adhd so I began reading about it.

I realized I had it too! Just by chance I started taking fish oil supplements. Very helpful. :D

A few years later the psychiatrist added anxiety and depression to the mix. Meds are helpful.

There are some books that are written with adult adhd in mind, of course I can't think of the titles now.

Go to Amazon and google "adult adhd."

salleh
12-07-16, 09:53 PM
I was diagnosed in my mid 40s ( I think, I'm good at mixing up dates and times ...always have been, and as I add so many additional years...well..I'm even less good at dates ....anyway......I knew that stimulants would work for me cause I had been self-medicating for many years.....it was a relief to find out that there really was a problem in my brain....

....I take more than the recommended dose, I think it's called going "off label" ....about twice what is recommended ....but I have been o this dosage for about 7 years or so...and am stable there .....

....without my meds I am pretty much useless, and even with them, I have days where it's all I can do to hit about 25% of what a normal human can do .....on my very best days.....maybe 75 to 80 % of normal .....

....It's a royal hassle to have ADHD ....finding the right doctor, finding the right medication ( there's several kinds ....but stimulants are recognized as the best solution to dealing with ADHD) ....finding a pharmacy that you're comfortable with ....( you would not believe some of the horror stories that people tell us of rude and judgemental pharmacists they encounter) ....

...and none of these last ...you'll find yourself having to replace one or more of them over the years ....this is a 24/7, 365 days a year diagnosis.....there's no cure ...there's only doing the best you can .....

...BUt the meds make it so much easier to cope with life it's worth all the effort and hassle......

amoselvis
12-14-16, 12:23 AM
I am super appreciative of all your posts. It has now been about two weeks on 20mgs am and 20 mgs noon. I think I see no difference, but as the doc told me, really think and journal....I was so hopeful I would come home from work and pick up the mail, sort it, then take out the trash and maybe put away some clean clothes. What has happened.....I am keeping the kitchen cleaner, not up to some par, but better. The dishes are going in the dishwasher...laundry is not stressful...disciplining and directing my 11 year old daughter is clear and concise....took me a bit to realize this was happening. I have no more intense, confusing, fragmented angst with this. My doc has been talking to me for a year or so now how I am the alpha, and the importance for her healthy development is to know/experience that. I am an alpha at work, yet so hard for me at home. This has changed in the last week or so.

Since starting the Adderall, I was looking to care for my home and handling the important domestic responsibilities that overwhelm and fragment me. There have been mild changes in behavior - no garbage piling up, clean counters. But not much else. But with my daughter, this was unexpected and took me a bit to make the connection with the Adderall. I am so happy....I didn't think I would ever get my mind around this.

daveddd
12-14-16, 01:20 AM
I am super appreciative of all your posts. It has now been about two weeks on 20mgs am and 20 mgs noon. I think I see no difference, but as the doc told me, really think and journal....I was so hopeful I would come home from work and pick up the mail, sort it, then take out the trash and maybe put away some clean clothes. What has happened.....I am keeping the kitchen cleaner, not up to some par, but better. The dishes are going in the dishwasher...laundry is not stressful...disciplining and directing my 11 year old daughter is clear and concise....took me a bit to realize this was happening. I have no more intense, confusing, fragmented angst with this. My doc has been talking to me for a year or so now how I am the alpha, and the importance for her healthy development is to know/experience that. I am an alpha at work, yet so hard for me at home. This has changed in the last week or so.

Since starting the Adderall, I was looking to care for my home and handling the important domestic responsibilities that overwhelm and fragment me. There have been mild changes in behavior - no garbage piling up, clean counters. But not much else. But with my daughter, this was unexpected and took me a bit to make the connection with the Adderall. I am so happy....I didn't think I would ever get my mind around this.

a lot of times its looking back on things that give the best description of the way the med is working

sounds like progress

good luck

jkimbo
12-14-16, 01:42 AM
I'm 61 and take adderall. If taken correctly as prescribed, and you are in good shape, meaning no heart issues, it is perfectly safe. Helps me out dramatically at work! BTW, you don't actually have to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD to get adderall. The dosages do vary greatly for various uses. I suppose this will also vary from area to area and doctor to doctor too. As far as I know there is no fool proof test other then questionnaires. I think the most important factor is your relationship with your pdoc or gdoc and there is a strong level of trust.

I've also been on klonopin for many years. It is hands down the safest benzodiazepine (benzo's). There is no euphoria, it lasts much longer, and perfect for long term maintenance med. Of course there are some benzo-phobic pdocs. I had to see when when my regular pdoc was sick. She asked me how long have I been talking klonopin. I said for 15 years off and on. She said it's too late for me and wrote the script lol.

I suspect the same is true for stimulants. I know it took me years before I had a pdoc that would even discuss the possibility with me. Again, I strongly believe trust is a main factor.

sarahsweets
12-16-16, 08:32 AM
I'm 61 and take adderall. If taken correctly as prescribed, and you are in good shape, meaning no heart issues, it is perfectly safe. Helps me out dramatically at work! BTW, you don't actually have to be diagnosed with ADD or ADHD to get adderall. The dosages do vary greatly for various uses. I suppose this will also vary from area to area and doctor to doctor too. As far as I know there is no fool proof test other then questionnaires. I think the most important factor is your relationship with your pdoc or gdoc and there is a strong level of trust.
can you explain what you mean ? Do you mean people without adhd should take adderall?Or docs are only allowed to prescribe for adhd or off label?

I've also been on klonopin for many years. It is hands down the safest benzodiazepine (benzo's). There is no euphoria, it lasts much longer, and perfect for long term maintenance med.
Im not picking on you but wanted to say that one benzo isnt safer than another and if anything, the long half life of Klonopin can be more dangerous as far as it building up in your system. At the same time,, I can see why klonopin works so well due to that.

amoselvis
01-23-17, 12:29 AM
Latest for me - post appointment with my psychiatrist,.

Adderall XR last two hours giving me "ebby gebbies"....she got . So now I use IR only. She had me focus on understanding to use Adderall for task specific activity, versus how I'd been using it the last month (take a dose in am and dose in pm), steady dosing to a level I can tolerate. She also talked with me about increasing dopamine in my body and none of this will work if I don't do so. She kept saying protein, protein, protein. I have been reading on this since our session. I am getting with the program....

Saturday, I knew I was tired, and so took no Adderall. Indulged my body to sleep etc. Sunday I woke up and took 50 mgs. I got so much done and never felt stressed or wiped out. washed clothes, washed dishes, made lunch for my mom, got my daughter to vacuum, checked my bank balance, dropped my bike off for repair. This all felt so normal....but I realize for me, it is radical, so the Adderall must be doing something.

sarahsweets
01-23-17, 04:55 AM
Latest for me - post appointment with my psychiatrist,.

Adderall XR last two hours giving me "ebby gebbies"....she got . So now I use IR only. She had me focus on understanding to use Adderall for task specific activity, versus how I'd been using it the last month (take a dose in am and dose in pm), steady dosing to a level I can tolerate. She also talked with me about increasing dopamine in my body and none of this will work if I don't do so. She kept saying protein, protein, protein. I have been reading on this since our session. I am getting with the program....

Saturday, I knew I was tired, and so took no Adderall. Indulged my body to sleep etc. Sunday I woke up and took 50 mgs. I got so much done and never felt stressed or wiped out. washed clothes, washed dishes, made lunch for my mom, got my daughter to vacuum, checked my bank balance, dropped my bike off for repair. This all felt so normal....but I realize for me, it is radical, so the Adderall must be doing something.

How are you supposed to increase your dopamine?

Sandy83
01-23-17, 03:19 PM
I can identify with the original post! Long story, but I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD around that age, but then I moved to a different city and talked to a different mental-health expert, who persuaded me that my problems were rooted in anxiety and depression rather than ADHD. (I did try a stimulant for a while, but I couldn't tell I was taking anything.) And even though the ADHD diagnosis made heaps of sense when I first heard it, I had pretty much shoved it out of my mind until very recently.

A few weeks ago, as I was going berserk trying to find my keys that I had lost for the second time that day, my adult daughter told me: "Dad, you know you have ADHD!" I denied it, but then we looked up a list online and she asked, "How can you not have ADHD when you have all the symptoms?"

And suddenly, it's all making sense. It has pervaded my life in more ways than I care to talk about now, but they're ways both big (lack of career growth) and small (walking into a room and not remembering why I went there). The next step is to set up an appointment with a professional to help me figure out what approach to take.