View Full Version : How about aromatherapy?

33Forward
11-30-16, 01:51 AM
Aromatherapy, anyone here who has tried it, had success with it, have tips or ideas to share?

I think we all ignore our sense of smell too much. We focus on our meds, our food, our meditation, etc. But, our brains do perceive smells, and particular scents can trigger thoughts, emotions, wake us up, calm us down, help us sleep... there is a lot here. Maybe there is somewhere else on this site that has mentioned it, or gone into detail, and I apologize if I've missed it.

My wife (now separated) and I used to really get into the essential oils, candles, and to a lesser degree, incense.

Now that I'm on my own, I'm trying to get back into the candles and essential oils. Finding good, pure oils is harder than you might think, but I've been made a believer that it does make a difference, depending on what you are using the oils for.

I've been using an ultrasonic diffuser recently, and with some blended oils, I've been able to breathe easier, fall asleep easier, and to some point calm myself down and focus.

I know lavender works well for a lot of different things. Its one I have yet to buy. Pure peppermint oil has a huge number of uses. The pure oil, (the directions on the bottle are a giveaway...if it says not for internal use, its not really pure), can be used in a diffuser, topically, or even in dilution, internally. The ones I've been using so far, have been peppermint, eucalyptus, and lemon. Trying those three, in varying ways, has been extremely helpful in sleeping better, and calming some stressful times.
I also have a blended oil, called focus, which doesn't seem to diffuse well, but I do use a couple passive methods to get the scent in the air. I douse wooden clothespins in a bit of it, then clip them into the air vents in my truck. I also have a tiny ceramic pot diffuser, and a few drops go a long way in that as well. Its a heavy oil, which is why I think it doesn't do well in the ultrasonic diffuser I have. But, that makes it a bit easier to use with other methods.

I am by no means an expert of any sort here. Just something I've had experience with, did take a couple informal classes a few years ago, but I think it may help some people. At the very least, it probably has few if any side effects.

I've even heard of people treating diffused oils as a type of brain signal modifier. If you start small, and train yourself to associate a certain smell with a good habit, or behavior, or task, then to a degree it can work similar to how colors can influence our feelings or perceptions. I mean, there's a whole industry full of people in labs trying to create mixes of scents for perfume and cologne, so the theory that some scents are meant to trigger thoughts and emotions already has quite a bit of research and experimentation behind it.

Just make sure that whatever oils you are looking to use, hopefully they have tester bottles to let you get a reaction to it before you buy it. And if you plan to do a lot of scent testing, take a small ziploc bag or old pill bottle, and fill it partially with coffee beans. After a few scents, your olfactory senses get overloaded, and have problems catching differences. If in doubt, get a whiff of the coffee, then go and try again. Coffee actually resets your olfactory senses.

Unmanagable
11-30-16, 10:07 AM
I love using essential oils. I can't tolerate synthetic fragrance of any kind any longer.

I used to be a yankee candle/diffuser/wax tart/bath and body works/perfume/body spray/scented lotions/scented fabric softeners addict, big time, until I quit smoking and regained my actual sense of smell - then learned more in depth about the effects of the toxic VOC content of all that artificial stuff and how badly it disrupts the endocrine system, etc.

I wish more folks would pay attention to that stuff and take it seriously. It wrecks our system and our day in so many ways, but most remain oblivious. People tend to forget that our skin is our largest organ and everything gets absorbed.

The oils have been my solution to still being able to enjoy aromas. And with added therapeutic benefits I never found in artificial scents. Bonus.

I make my own lotions, body fragrances, insect repellent, cleaning solutions, etc. and some of my favorite oils are peppermint, sweet orange, grapefruit, frankincense, eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, rosemary, and lemon.

I love the clothespin idea! I also have a roller ball jar thingy I use to mix my favorites in with a carrier oil so I can just roll them on when needed.

Peppermint has been good for headaches, too. I rarely get one, but when I do, I roll it on my forehead and the base of my neck and the headache eventually fades. I also roll it under my nose when I've been bombed by harsh synthetic stank.

I use sage smudge sticks quite often, too, along with the oil aromas, and that particular scent is another one that I love. Along with fresh rosemary. I have a few of those growing all year round that I use to cook with, bathe with, and as a room freshener in the colder months.

Good info. Thanks for bringing it up.

20thcenturyfox
12-02-16, 11:19 PM
I used "relaxing" and "energizing" scents to help interrupt emotions and cue transitions in the script I wrote to talk myself down.

I did not use it enough to see if it would become a conditioned response. And I can't say what part the essential oils played, because I think just having a "Plan B" helped me gain control over and refocus my demons at that point in my life.

Wuvmy3kitties
12-05-16, 02:25 PM
I use certain scented oils and incense for a number of things.

I use lavender for helping me sleep and relax, it smells great and works well.
I also use peppermint oil for digestion issues and focusing, as well as motion sickness or nausea. (NOTE: you can substitute peppermint leaves or peppermint candy instead.)

I also love the smell of a burning campfire, and pine, so sometimes I burn those as incense for mood enhancing.

Unmanagable
12-10-16, 01:49 AM
My most recent favorite morning essential and carrier oil blend is frankincense, grapefruit, and coconut, with an intermittent addition of magnesium gel.

The frankincense minus the citrus with coconut or castor oil is really nice at night, too. Especially in the digestive zones.

Coconut oil with a dab of magnesium gel is the typical go-to night blend. Eucalyptus is a good addition when there's sinus issues.

I love the possibilities and explore them rather often, with no unpleasant side effects or reactions, so far. I never ingest them, only use them topically with other carrier oils and externally as air enhancers.

With the weather changing and getting colder, I've been staying up later and sleeping in, lessening the amount of daylight I soak up. I was certain the ever reliable seasonal depression stuff would be in high gear by now, but so far, so good. I'll take as much relief from that as I can get.

33Forward
12-11-16, 08:51 PM
I picked up a few more oils over the weekend, and trying new "recipes". It really is sort of like cooking from scratch, with some suggested recipes for a basis.
I use NOW oils from GNC, and lately, they've been having a buy one get the second half off. So, I've made some good use of that lately.
I bought some orange. I love the lemon I have, but the orange I think is even better now that I've used it some.
I bought some lavender, which on its own is ok. But, when you combine it with some other scents it really works some magic. (I currently have lavender, some peppermint, and eucalyptus in the diffuser going right now. Really helping me unwind after a long work day).
I also bought a "Peaceful Sleep" blend. Which has a lot of different things in it, that I don't have yet, like sandalwood, ylang ylang, and chamomile. I tried that a couple nights ago, and I drifted off to sleep and stayed asleep, which has been rare for me lately.
It's definitely something I'm glad I got back into. I know the prices seem a bit steep, but they will last me a long time, and have made a big difference.

I have yet to use any topically, besides the peppermint. And actually, the peppermint roller bottle I have isn't even the stuff I have now, its some stuff I bought a long time ago.
How do you go about using something topically, aside from peppermint? I know that the peppermint seems to help my tension headaches, and some of my carpal tunnel flare ups I get. I know you have to dilute most into a carrier oil, but what else do you use, how do you mix it, and what does it do for you?

Unmanagable
12-11-16, 09:58 PM
I used to be very particular about mixing them up in cute little jars and having about a dozen different kinds floating around.

But now, unless I'm making it for someone else, I typically grab a palm full of coconut oil (just enough so that when it melts, it doesn't start dripping), or castor oil, depending on the application, and put one or two drops (being very mindful of trying not to get too much - which can burn the skin - and reading up on how to properly use it before I dive into trying it) of the essential oil, along with a small amount of the magnesium gel (about half the size of a dime) and apply, beginning with my feet, but I don't apply to private areas or face. Made that mistake once with peppermint. Ooooweee!!!

I feel incredibly soothed by the various frankincense, lavender, and peppermint blends, invigorated by the citrus and rosemary blends, and have to be careful with most of the rest as they can be too overwhelming for my senses.

The coconut oil is my go-to base moisturizer and massage oil, and the castor oil is my "move that lymph" and "help soothe inflammation" go-to.

I'm fortunate to have a couple friends who are also master herbalists, massage therapists, and an acupuncturist who help guide me through the oils, aromas, and herbs and such. I remain fascinated and always eager to learn more.

I stick with the basics, mostly, but enjoy switching them up when the mood strikes. Which is why I choose not to mix up a big batch and, instead, just mix it in my hand as I go.