View Full Version : Free distance learning colleges

midnightstar
12-01-16, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of doing another distance learning course (and I've bookmarked several reputable colleges that offer the distance learning courses for free if you do it online and one of them offers a paper distance learning course for 20, idk if I should do distance learning again to get more skills ready to change jobs (currently looking for another job, not giving up my current job until I've got something else lined up though)

Not sure if I should do one of the courses or not ............. would I need to ask permission from my current employers if I did start doing a distance learning course outside of work hours?

namazu
12-01-16, 04:03 PM
Outside of work hours: no need to inform your employers.

Many excellent colleges and universities offer free courses.

If you think you will need proof that you completed a course, check their policies and whether they offer any kind of certificate of completion.

If it's just to enhance your skills for personal enrichment, and you won't need documentation or a transcript, then don't worry about it and find whichever course will suit your interests.

Fuzzy12
12-01-16, 04:05 PM
I doubt you have to get permission from your employer but if you aren't sure you can always ask your employer or the course organisers if you don't want to discuss it sky your employer. I don't think you need permission though .

midnightstar
12-01-16, 04:12 PM
Trying to decide what course to sign up for after I get back home late next week (I'm away from Saturday through to the following weekend - funeral)

Trying to decide if I should do a free admin one or one of the mental health free ones or whether I should do team leading free one just because it's there or whether I should dig around see what other distance learning courses the colleges have got :o

stef
12-01-16, 05:10 PM
i think its great!
does anyone know if you have to be in the UK for these?
im really interested in a specific branch of law ( image rights and trademarks)

namazu
12-01-16, 05:28 PM
i think its great!
does anyone know if you have to be in the UK for these?
im really interested in a specific branch of law ( image rights and trademarks)
There are free courses offered all over the world. Most free courses are open to anyone. Look up "open courseware" (OCW) or "massively open online course" (MOOC) for some examples.

MIT offers free courses on copyright law / intellectual property through its OCW program (https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=socialscience&subcat=legalstudies), though some of the material may be dated at this point.

Coursera is a consortium of major universities in the US and abroad (including Minnesota and Sciences Po, to name just a couple!) that offer online courses. Taking courses through Coursera isn't quite free -- usually it costs about US$30-$100/course, I think -- but it is more structured than some other online course offerings, has a huge course catalog, and provides a certificate of completion at the end.