View Full Version : School accommodations to job accommodations?

john2100
12-01-16, 06:51 AM
[MODERATOR NOTE: This post was split from a thread on receiving accommodations in a college/university setting (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181713) so as to allow this conversation to continue without derailing the other thread.]

Are you then required to tell you future employer you have a disability that requires you have special accommodations before being hired?
Also why can't people be on disability who have adhd,anxiety or depression?
It just doesn't add up.

Let say I save a severe ADHD, I'm getting fired from every job,but I have a degree because my university was just the best in accommodating me.
Shouldn't I be on public assistance program ?

TygerSan
12-01-16, 05:31 PM
Let say I save a severe ADHD, I'm getting fired from every job,but I have a degree because my university was just the best in accommodating me.

Theoretically, that's what vocational rehab is for, working within your strengths and weaknesses and finding a job that you can actually perform well at and keep.

Hiddencreations
12-01-16, 10:45 PM
[MODERATOR NOTE: This post was split from a thread on receiving accommodations in a college/university setting (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181713) so as to allow this conversation to continue without derailing the other thread.]

Are you then required to tell you future employer you have a disability that requires you have special accommodations before being hired?
Also why can't people be on disability who have adhd,anxiety or depression?
It just doesn't add up.

Shouldn't I be on public assistance program ?

Answer to you're first question: No. Federal laws prohibits an employer from asking about a host of personal characteristics and factors, including a disability, during the interview process. It is up to the person whether they want to disclose a disability, but no one should feel obligated to do so.

Next point--you seem to be crossing between what is a disability according to SSID and what is a disability as defined by Section 504. Section 504, which applies to public institutions and private institutions that receive federal funds, states that a disability occurs when there is a major life impairment in an area of life. Employers, Education, Public Services, etc. tend to follow Section 504.

"The Section 504 regulatory provision…defines a physical or mental impairment as any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genito-urinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine; or any mental or psychological disorder, such as intellectual disability, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities. The regulatory provision does not set forth an exhaustive list of specific diseases and conditions that may constitute physical or mental impairments because of the difficulty of ensuring the comprehensiveness of such a list."

So, to answer your second question: all of those diagnoses listed are eligible for disability services IF they cause a major impairment. So, simple having anxiety or depression would not be enough if you are still function in the setting for which you are requesting accommodations.

Third question: Not exactly because according to SSID, there is no standard criteria list for adults with ADHD (one exist for children). It doesn't mean that it is impossible to receive public assistance as an adult with ADHD, it just means that it will be an uphill battle.

sarahsweets
12-02-16, 05:40 AM
I have been on disability for a long time. I have Bipolar, GAD, PTSD and ADHD.I dont know if one can get disability for adhd alone.

Jenn1202
12-14-16, 11:32 PM
I never told any of my employers about my disability and it worked as long as I was adequately medicated. Now that I'm not medicated I'm definitely considering it because I can't seem to keep a job, but I'm afraid it's going to get me fired or prevent me from getting hired. An employer may not be able to fire me for having ADD but they can always blame it on something I did/didn't do or find some other excuse.