View Full Version : Struggling with Dosage

KaitlynH
12-01-16, 07:45 PM
I recently started taking Vyvanse after the medication I was previously taking began to cause nasty side effects. I was put on 30mg (the lowest dose) at first, since I'm pretty sensitive to most medications. It was a major help but it didn't last through the day as long as I needed it to (I have a fairly long day) so after a discussion with my psychiatrist we agreed to try 40mg.

As you can probably guess, the 40mg is not working for me. It doesn't last any longer than before, and to make matters worse I feel like a zombie when I'm on it. And instead of simply wearing off in the afternoon like before, I'm now "crashing". Like I mentioned, I'm kind of weird with medications.

I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to go off of Vyvanse as I've tried just about every other ADHD medication out there, and this is the best one I've been on with Adderall as a close second. I briefly considered asking if I could take two 30mg doses a day, but I'm aware that might be even worse than taking one 40mg dose. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for the long post.

TLDR: 30mg Vyvanse doesn't last. 40mg causes intolerable side effects. Advice needed, thank you!

C15H25N3O
12-01-16, 09:36 PM
It can take a while to adjust your digestion.

To make it simple, your pancreas must send a signal to the liver to request some enzymes
to metabolize lisdexamphetamindimesilat to dexamphetaminedimesilat.

Dexamphetaminedimesilat is better than dexamphetamine because it has a mood-lifting effect.

It took me 2 months to make its effectiveness working correct.

Lets try a trick:

Go back to 30mg.
Just dont have a breakfast and drink after intake.
Eat the first food 3h after intake.

;)

If you take any other meds also take them later than Vyvanse, especially stomach-meds.

KaitlynH
12-01-16, 10:48 PM
Update: I know Vyvanse goes lower than 30mg. I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking) when I posted this.

mctavish23
12-01-16, 11:18 PM
After trying almost all the major medications for ADHD, I've finally found

a combination of meds that work; albeit at the highest doses :eek:

Vyvanse 70mg - 2 capsules each AM

Effexor 75 mg - 2 capsules each AM

Keep in mind that it's taken me many years of trial & error to get to this point.

I wish you much luck in your journey :)

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

sarahsweets
12-02-16, 05:38 AM
I recently started taking Vyvanse after the medication I was previously taking began to cause nasty side effects. I was put on 30mg (the lowest dose) at first, since I'm pretty sensitive to most medications. It was a major help but it didn't last through the day as long as I needed it to (I have a fairly long day) so after a discussion with my psychiatrist we agreed to try 40mg.

As you can probably guess, the 40mg is not working for me. It doesn't last any longer than before, and to make matters worse I feel like a zombie when I'm on it. And instead of simply wearing off in the afternoon like before, I'm now "crashing". Like I mentioned, I'm kind of weird with medications.

I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to go off of Vyvanse as I've tried just about every other ADHD medication out there, and this is the best one I've been on with Adderall as a close second. I briefly considered asking if I could take two 30mg doses a day, but I'm aware that might be even worse than taking one 40mg dose. Any advice would be helpful. Sorry for the long post.

TLDR: 30mg Vyvanse doesn't last. 40mg causes intolerable side effects. Advice needed, thank you!

You say you have tried adderall, have you tried dexedrine? Its whats in vyvanse and adderall only it doesnt contain the levoamphetamine that adderall has, or need to be converted into a prodrug like vyvanse.

C15H25N3O
12-02-16, 05:49 AM
have you tried dexedrine? Its whats in vyvanse and adderall only it doesnt contain the levoamphetamine that adderall has, or need to be converted into a prodrug like vyvanse.

If someone does their homework they will find out:

Vyvanse is lisdexamphetminedimesilat (mood-lifting) which is metabolized to dexamphetaminedimesilat.

Dexedrine is dexamphetaminesulfate. (not mood-lifting)

The difference is sulfate or dimesilate.

The difference are the galenics:

One is made from sulfur and the other one from mesilates which is methanesulfonic acid.

sarahsweets
12-02-16, 06:13 AM
If someone does their homework they will find out:

Vyvanse is lisdexamphetminedimesilat (mood-lifting) which is metabolized to dexamphetaminedimesilat.

Salt and sugar look similar but are different.

look, I can see you dont like my opinions and its obvious you have a better grasp of the chemical parts of medication then I do.
All I was trying to do was simplify what I read :

Lisdexamfetamine (contracted from L-lysine-dextroamphetamine) is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant and dextroamphetamine prodrug of the phenethylamine class and amphetamine class that is used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and binge eating disorder.[4][5] Its chemical structure consists of dextroamphetamine coupled with the essential amino acid L-lysine. Lisdexamfetamine itself is inactive and acts as a prodrug to dextroamphetamine upon cleavage of the lysine portion of the molecule.
I was just letting the OP know that maybe its the way vyvanse works and the levoamphetamine works that is the issue.

C15H25N3O
12-02-16, 06:17 AM
It is not about opinions. This is simple chemistry.

Vyvanse is worth its money if you dont really have to take anti-depressants

but is a PITA because your digestion and metabolizm must get used to it.

Once Vyvanse is tolerated by the body and adjusted to the brain it is the better drug.

Some give up, some have no will – not my fail.

Sarcasm: Pro-drugs are for professionals not for beginners.

Add-On: The alcohol in beer is totally different to wine.
One likes beer and one likes wine – no reason for ranting about wine, you know,
and a watermelon is no green pumpkin!

namazu
12-02-16, 07:52 AM
This may be your personal experience with the mood-related effects, but it is far from a general rule. Mood-lifting effects of dextroamphetamine sulfate (for many people, even if not for you personally) have been recognized for decades. (But for treatment of ADHD in the absence of depression, the mood-lifting effects aren't typically markers of therapeutic effect, anyway.)

Kaitlyn --

Zombie-ness and crashes are no fun. Ugh.

When medications don't last as long as you need them to, some doctors will prescribe a booster dose of a short-acting medication to take in the afternoon. (Ideally, this would be taken shortly before the long -acting medication has fully worn off, so that you don't have a roller-coaster effect while waiting for the second dose to kick in.) Since you have had good experiences with Adderall in the past -- assuming that wasn't the one that started to cause intolerable side effects -- that (or Dexedrine) might be something to consider. If you were to try this, you could start with a low dose of Adderall to see if it is tolerable and helps to extend the positive effects and make things smoother for you at the end of the day.

Some people do take long-acting meds twice a day, assuming they don't get insomnia from a later dose. 2 doses of 30mg would not necessarily be worse for you than 1 dose of 40mg. (It might be, but 2 appropriately-spaced lower doses might provide effective and longer-lasting treatment of your symptoms without being too much at once and causing a crash.) Another possibility might be to take 30mg Vyvanse in the morning and then 10 or 20mg in the afternoon.

Another thought -- sometimes poorer functioning and a crash late in the day can be related to dehydration or not eating enough. Since Vyvanse (like other stimulants) can suppress appetite, it's worth paying attention to food and hydration just to rule out that possible cause of crummy feelings.

If your schedule's amenable to it, sometimes planning to exercise when you might otherwise "crash" can be helpful; exercise can have some stimulant-like effects.

Have you set up an appointment to see your psychiatrist? Tell the doc what you told us here about how the 40mg Vyvanse is affecting you, and ask whether dropping back to 30mg Vyvanse and adding some kind of booster in the afternoon might be an appropriate strategy.

Best wishes for finding a solution!

C15H25N3O
12-02-16, 10:46 AM
This may be your personal experience with the mood-related effects, but it is far from a general rule. Mood-lifting effects of dextroamphetamine sulfate (for many people, even if not for you personally) have been recognized for decades. (But for treatment of ADHD in the absence of depression, the mood-lifting effects aren't typically markers of therapeutic effect, anyway.)

Exactly, but it is still a forum where we discuss, right?
That is why I mentioned the alcohol thing because it is easier to understand for
everyone. Some prefer wine, some prefer beer, some prefer bourbon but others
use solvents (street drugs).

To stay in the alcohol-metapher for me it is a pain in the brain to read the instantly
ranting from a wine and spirits drinker while I and others prefer beer just like:
I hate beer because it does not make me so drunken like wine or bourbon.

The same applies for boosters – just think about mixing beer, wine and bourbon
– sure some dont care and prefer punchbowls.

Finally they all make us burp! :giggle:

Thanks for picking me out!

:grouphug:

I wish there was some levoamphetaminedimesilate because I could add 5-10% to Vyvanse.

C15H25N3O
12-02-16, 10:57 AM
Update: I know Vyvanse goes lower than 30mg. I don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking) when I posted this.

A good booster strategy for long lasting Vyvanse is to take 30mg in the morning
and add 10mg after e.g. 3–6 hours but you will have to find your personal sweet
spot to take the second dose.

My perfect dosage is 37mg. I have 70mg capsules I split for 2 days and I have 40mg
capsules. When I need a booster I add 5-10mg. There is no rule because we are
individual different.

I only get ~8 hours out of 30mg, too. ;-)

sarahsweets
12-02-16, 11:22 AM
For the record- I always say that i have personal feelings about vyvanse and share alternatives to it. I do not rant about it using color text and all caps.
Now---back to the OP...
OP- vyvanse works for a lot of people. It didnt for me, but that doesnt mean its a bad drug. Dex is a good alternative for people that have trouble with vyvanse. Its also a good add on or booster.