View Full Version : Aripripazole (aka Abilify) for ADHD treatment

Polyphemus
12-03-16, 09:45 AM
My son is 6 years old and has ADHD, with most of the symptoms, combined with sensory processing disorder. He often displays aggressive and disobedient behaviour, and has explosions given that he has low frustration tolerance. He has been undergoing occupational therapy and play therapy for one year. I am not sure about the benefits so far. There are fluctuations, some periods are good, some are bad.

Now we have reached at a crossroad: In the last 4-5 weeks he has been quite aggressive, especially at school (Primary). Within last week we had three major incidents of explosions and violent behaviour towards two of his classmates and his special educational needs teacher. He has been also swearing quite often in the last 4-5 weeks. Sometimes he also throws objects when he explodes.

The main problem now is that the safety of the school staff and children is at stake - especially since he is one of the biggest and tallest children in his classroom. The school has indicated to us that if such incidents continue he will be kicked out of the school.

A prominent psychologist in the city we live in advised us to start giving him an antipsychotic drug called Aripiprazole (aka Abilify). He says that it is very effective, in particular in dealing with impulsiveness, outbursts and aggressive/violent behaviour of children with ADHD. We asked also a reputable child neurologist we know (who lives in Europe). Her reaction about this drug was also positive.

Can anybody please give me any advice? Have you ever tried this drug with children who have ADHD?

peripatetic
12-04-16, 01:28 AM
i take abilify but not for adhd and i would say get a second opinion from a doctor on how to handle this if he's definitely adhd. but the explosiveness, the outbursts...i'm surprised they went with abilify instead of risperdal, but that seems in keeping with some things i know about antipsychotics in children.

i've only ever taken them as an adult and, as i said, not for adhd. i also think it's messed up that the school is basically threatening you into this. so, please do consider a second opinion.

welcome to the forums, too. i hope you get more replies as there are people here who've medicated children who have outbursts similar to what you describe, in my opinion.

best to you,
-peri

sarahsweets
12-04-16, 09:39 AM
The main problem now is that the safety of the school staff and children is at stake - especially since he is one of the biggest and tallest children in his classroom. The school has indicated to us that if such incidents continue he will be kicked out of the school.

A prominent psychologist in the city we live in advised us to start giving him an antipsychotic drug called Aripiprazole (aka Abilify). He says that it is very effective, in particular in dealing with impulsiveness, outbursts and aggressive/violent behaviour of children with ADHD. We asked also a reputable child neurologist we know (who lives in Europe). Her reaction about this drug was also positive.

Can anybody please give me any advice? Have you ever tried this drug with children who have ADHD?

When you say you were advised ti give him abilify, is this his doctor or just a recommendation from someone you know? If its not his doctor then what does his actual doctor say?

Polyphemus
12-05-16, 04:17 AM
A child psychiatrist who knows about my son's case (he is the Director of the centre where my son undergoes OT and play therapy) advised us to start giving him Abilify. He said that other drugs such as Ritalin are not helpful in dealing with impulsiveness, explosion and aggressiveness at this age (6) - in contrast to Abilify.

We have not asked my son's paediatrician yet.

sarahsweets
12-05-16, 05:30 AM
A child psychiatrist who knows about my son's case (he is the Director of the centre where my son undergoes OT and play therapy) advised us to start giving him Abilify. He said that other drugs such as Ritalin are not helpful in dealing with impulsiveness, explosion and aggressiveness at this age (6) - in contrast to Abilify.

We have not asked my son's paediatrician yet.

I personally wouldnt take advice from anyone who wasnt my childs' doctor, no matter how knowledgeble they seem to be.

jkimbo
12-05-16, 04:06 PM
I do know a little about Abilify, big pharm has been pushing it big time since it came out! I think it's available as generic now, or will be very soon. Way over priced! It is a psychotropic drug, and if you believe big pharm the greatest wonder drug in years, even suppose to curve gambling impulses lol.

I would not give to much weight from any one except a pdoc that has had some time observing the effects of Abilify with several patients over a span of time.

The way big pharm works is they set up literature and send their sales reps to all the doctor offices they can get in. The literature explains what the drug is made from and how it has been used and includes results from any research that just happens to support their product.

It can supposedly treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, and Tourette syndrome. It can also treat irritability associated with autism. And even curb gambling impulses :)

Read the side effects from Abilify and if your child is exhibiting any of them, call your pdoc as soon as possible and tell him/her. Irritability is the most common side effect! The very thing they claim it over comes!

If your pdoc said to try it fine, try it, but do not hesitate to express your doubts and personal observations! Simply over medicating someone, specially a child is not always the best way to go! Best of luck to you and yours!