View Full Version : Booster Dose and Medicaid

KaitlynH
12-05-16, 12:44 PM
First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Anyway, my psychiatrist did agree to prescribe a booster dose of Vyvanse (look here (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181764) if you want more info on my situation). The problem is my insurance (SoonerCare, Oklahoma's Medicaid program) will not pay for it. So it would end up costing me an extra $260 a month, which I absolutely cannot afford.

Does anyone know if Medicaid would pay for a low dose Adderall prescription for my booster dose instead of Vyvanse? More importantly, would there be any negative side effects caused from the combination of meds? I've taken Adderall before on it's own and it worked fine.

Thank you in advance. :)

C15H25N3O
12-05-16, 01:50 PM
I dont like mixing AMP salts. It is similar like mixing alcohols (beer, wine, wiskey).

I have made a very good experience using 1/4 - 1/3 of my morning dose of Vyvanse.
This means I boost my 35-40mg Vyvanse with another 10mg after 3-6h. This way I
get 15-16h effectiveness out of the med.

KaitlynH
12-05-16, 02:00 PM
I dont like mixing AMP salts. It is similar like mixing alcohols (beer, wine, wiskey).

I have made a very good experience using 1/4 - 1/3 of my morning dose of Vyvanse.
This means I boost my 35-40mg Vyvanse with another 10mg after 3-6h. This way I
get 15-16h effectiveness out of the med.

I can't get a second dose of Vyvanse though. Like I said in my original post, my insurance refuses to pay for it and I cannot afford the $260 a month that it costs. I'm barely making rent right now.

namazu
12-05-16, 02:16 PM
First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Anyway, my psychiatrist did agree to prescribe a booster dose of Vyvanse (look here (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181764) if you want more info on my situation). The problem is my insurance (SoonerCare, Oklahoma's Medicaid program) will not pay for it. So it would end up costing me an extra $260 a month, which I absolutely cannot afford.

Does anyone know if Medicaid would pay for a low dose Adderall prescription for my booster dose instead of Vyvanse? More importantly, would there be any negative side effects caused from the combination of meds? I've taken Adderall before on it's own and it worked fine.

To answer your second question first...no, there are unlikely to be any negative side effects caused by taking both Vyvanse and Adderall in a given day, with the Adderall as a booster dose when the Vyvanse is about the wear off. Since you've tolerated both medications and found them effective, and they're fairly closely related, there's no reason to expect a problem.

One thing to notice is when your Vyvanse is wearing off. Ideally, you'd time the "booster" dose so that you take it before the Vyvanse has fully worn off, and it kicks in just as the Vyvanse is wearing off. If you overlap too much, you may feel it as jitteriness / increased side effects, and then you also won't get the coverage you were hoping for. Spreading them out just enough (but not so much that you have a gap or crash in-between) should help. It may help to track/adjust when you take your first dose of Vyvanse and when you take the booster dose of Adderall to find the optimal timing for you.

Another thing to watch out for, which may or may not be a concern for you (and isn't related to the combination of meds), is whether taking a booster dose of a stimulant causes insomnia. Some people are sensitive to that possible side effect; other people find they actually sleep better if they're medicated later in the day. Your mileage may vary, but it's a possibility to be aware of.

Regarding coverage by SoonerCare, I'm not sure...

I looked up the quantity limits for ADHD medications (http://www.okhca.org/providers.aspx?id=11144), and it looks like they limit people to 30 Vyvanse tabs/30 days. A booster dose probably would have put you over that limit.

If they count prescriptions separately, then it would appear you could get up to 30 tabs of Vyvanse and 30 Adderall XR capsules per month without exceeding their quantity limits.

They did not, however, list instant-release Adderall in this quantity limit list. I don't know if that means they just don't limit it (unlikely) or whether it's not covered by SoonerCare at all.

It may also be possible for your doctor to request an override of the quantity limits, which could allow you to get more Vyvanse pills per month. Here is the override info for your doctor. (http://www.okhca.org/provider/forms/pdflib/pharm_13b.pdf)

Here's their preauthorization info page (http://www.okhca.org/providers.aspx?id=12090#ADHD), which has additional info about prescriptions for ADHD. Again, they discuss quantity limits (for any given medication; not sure whether 2 separate meds would trigger their limits), dose limits (not more than 1.5x the FDA-approved label recommended max dose), and preauthorization procedures. At the bottom, they discuss a "second opinion" process for "unusual dosing requests" that may be useful if SoonerCare balks at letting you fill prescriptions for 2 different ADHD meds; your doctor would have to fill out a petition justifying the prescriptions.

Hopefully it will go smoothly, with beneficial effect and a minimum of bureacratic hassles. Good luck!

C15H25N3O
12-05-16, 04:16 PM
I can't get a second dose of Vyvanse though. Like I said in my original post, my insurance refuses to pay for it and I cannot afford the $260 a month that it costs. I'm barely making rent right now.

What is your dosage?

Mind you could ask e.g. for 50mg instead of 40mg and dose your self to get your free booster.

I am prescribed to 40mg and 70mg. I split the 70mg in 2x35mg to save money. I have to pay them on my own.

salleh
12-07-16, 10:08 PM
If you go with an adderall booster, and medicaid won't pay for it .....go to Good Rx and in Norman, you can get 30 - 20mg generic tablet ( IR) adderall for $25 at Walgreens....same price for 10 mg tabs ....

just print out the coupon and take it with you .....Good Rx posts most of the prices of the main pharmacies of your area ....

it's a lot more doable than $160 eh ?

C15H25N3O
12-08-16, 04:39 AM
WooohJaah, prices from wonderland when pills or capsules are split. Sounds very familar to me. :giggle:

I also act so because I have to pay on my own what stimulates my synapses. All dosages of Vyvanse

are sold at nearly the same price.