View Full Version : Taking Vyvanse twice a day?

LoneWolf45
12-07-16, 11:07 AM
My psych recently set me up with a 40 mg dose of Vyvanse twice a day. I was a little conflicted about whether this would be a good idea because wouldn't that be drug abuse? I haven't had any problems taking it twice daily but I'm worried. Is this even okay to do?

KaitlynH
12-07-16, 12:44 PM
Drug abuse would be if you're taking it for fun, or to get ahead in life without an actual medical need for it (ADHD, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.) It's not drug abuse if your doctor is telling you to do it. If you worried about addiction, monitor yourself for signs of it such as unusual mood changes, severe withdrawal symptoms when you don't take it, and feeling like you couldn't get through the day without it (above the normal sense of not being able to focus). Addiction seems to run in my family so I understand your concerns, but you should be okay.

About the dosing amount, it looks like the maximum daily recommended dose is 70mg. You aren't too far above that, so if you aren't experiencing side effects I wouldn't worry. If you are feeling unsure about it's safety, you can talk to your psychiatrist and ask them why they put you on that dosage, or you could get a second opinion.

As long as you're feeling okay though, I'd try not to worry. These people have degrees for a reason. Good luck, I wish you all the best.

Lizzie80
02-27-17, 01:40 AM
My psych recently set me up with a 40 mg dose of Vyvanse twice a day. I was a little conflicted about whether this would be a good idea because wouldn't that be drug abuse? I haven't had any problems taking it twice daily but I'm worried. Is this even okay to do?

I took it twice a day for the 2+ years I was on it. Second dose taken about hours after the first. This prevented the dreaded afternoon crashes. No problem sleeping come nighttime. My (slightly too high) blood pressure and heart rate actually went down on it, probably because it gave me more discipline to eat right and exercise daily for the first time in my life. YMMV.

sarahsweets
02-27-17, 07:01 AM
Sometimes Doctors are wiling to go over the recommended max because their patients need it. These are some very good doctors. I take 80mg of adderall xr when 60 is the max. Thank god my doctor recognizes that not everyone is from the same cookie cutter.

Lizzie80
03-06-17, 05:50 PM
Sometimes Doctors are wiling to go over the recommended max because their patients need it. These are some very good doctors. I take 80mg of adderall xr when 60 is the max. Thank god my doctor recognizes that not everyone is from the same cookie cutter.

I took 100mg/day of Vyvanse while on that med, even though the max dose recommended was (maybe still is) 70mg. Split up into two 50mg doses. I read somewhere online that the 70mg was only really originally intended to be applicable for children under age 12. However, that may be incorrect.

Everyone's metabolism, neurotransmitters, health, lifestyle, other medications/supplements taken, supportive coping mechanisms and such vary so widely that it's no wonder finding a correct medicine and dosage are daunting tasks.

Note: I trust my physician of 20 years, and my body, far more than I trust a government employee, politician, or pharmaceutical company regarding correct dosages. Just saying. :)