View Full Version : Recommend an alternative to Vyvanse?

Illinest
12-08-16, 11:33 AM
Adderall felt great for me but my wife assured me that it was making me act nasty/mean/temperamental.

Vyvanse always felt like an imitation. It reminds me of the way generic cola tastes. Or - here's a different analogy. If Adderall made my mind a sharp knife, then Vyvanse made it into a butter knife at best.

I've been on Vyvanse for about 3 years. I'm at 60mg. I'm looking for alternatives. I read about Concerta, Ritalin and Focalin and I have concerns about the fact that anxiety is cited as a common side-effect. I don't want anxiety.

I want is sharp focus, but without the bad personality. I am particularly taking meds to help me communicate. I have a very hard time listening to people. I want to listen better and pick up more non-verbal cues. I want my own words to be clear and concise. I don't want to "talk in circles" anymore.

I don't know if there's a better answer. Does anybody have a suggestion?

aeon
12-08-16, 12:31 PM
Dexedrine

The Gold Standard

Accept no substitutes.

Cheers,
Ian

Illinest
12-08-16, 11:32 PM
I guess that's my answer. Thank you.

namazu
12-09-16, 12:17 AM
For what it's worth, anxiety is a possible side effect of all stimulants.

As Aeon suggested, Dexedrine may be a good option for you if Adderall and Vyvanse were close but had drawbacks.

That said, many people get good results with methylphenidate-based drugs (like Concerta, Ritalin, etc.), and if Dexedrine doesn't cut it for you, don't rule out these other options.

As with all stimulants, it's a good idea to start with a low dose and increase it gradually to avoid/minimize side effects and to avoid overshooting the optimal therapeutic dose for you.