View Full Version : How many words per minute can you read?

TodaysWonderful
05-30-05, 05:53 PM
1. Set a timer for 1 minute.

2. Read the story below.

3. Find out how many 'Words Per Minute' (WPM) you can read.

Friends Are Forever

0 WPM

It was a very easy life for them. Warren's best friend was Brian. He was a wild duck known as a mallard. The two were very best friends.

28 WPM

Warren was a duckling who lived with his parents, his two sisters, and his brother on a farm in the country. The Farm ducks had a very good life. All day long they would sit in the sun and eat as much as they liked. They had forgotten all about flying or chasing frogs and butterflies.

86 WPM

But Warren envied Brian a little, because Brian still knew how to fly. "Do you think you could show me how to fly?" Warren asked Brian one day. "Of course!" said Brian. "That would be fun!" And he began to explain to Warren the deep secrets about flying. It took a long time before Warren was finally able to fly up into the sky.

152 WPM

He had never seen the world from high above. Everything below them looked so small, and the sky all around him looked so wide. Warren was happy like never before.

184 WPM

Every flight gave him the most wonderful feeling. Up here was a whole new world to be discovered. Slowly Warren’s flying got better and better. And the two friends became closer and closer.

218 WPM

The summer went by. Warren and Brian were inseparable. They did everything together and one friend was never without the other. But the summer passed quickly.

247 WPM

One morning when the two friends met, Warren noticed tears in Brian’s eyes. "What is the matter?" asked Brian. "I….have….to…." sobbed Brian. "I have to leave. My family is flying to the South," he continued, "and I have to go with them."

291 WPM

There was nothing the two friends could do about it. Both of them were very sad. They cried a little and promised to write each other every day.

321 WPM

When Brian finally left, Warren thought for a moment about joining him. But Warren’s own family would not have understood, and they would have been very sad without him.

352 WPM

Warren had never felt so lonely in all his life. Every day he visited all their favorite places: the waterfall, the old mill, the rocks, and the bridge. Wherever he went, he thought of Brian. Warren had really sad for several days. He began to feel sick and soon had to stay inside. His parents were very worried.

412 WPM

Then one day his mother had an idea. "If you miss Brian so much," she said, "why don’t we all go to the South and visit him?" "It won’t work," sighed Warren. "Why not?" "Because you can only get to the South by flying. But not one of you knows how to fly!" "Well, can’t you teach us?" his mother asked. Warren was surprised. "You mean you want me to teach you how to fly?" "Yes, why not?" his brother said.

495 WPM

So,

How many Words Per Minute can you read?

Retention Quiz

What were the two ducks names?

Which duck knew how to fly?

What two things did the ducks chase?

Lotsa Love

motorbrain
06-01-05, 04:43 AM
When I was in high school I was tested at 1250 wpm with 99% comprehension/retention. Every once in awhile when I was "on" it was much higher. I doubt I could do that now at my advanced age.

Where's my geritol dagnabit!!!

MB

spacecase
06-03-05, 01:28 PM
#1: Don't Know
#2: Don't know
#3: Don't know

:eek:

crime_scene
06-03-05, 01:45 PM
oh NO!

reading 100
comprehension 0

or should I say recall??? I understood it when I read it, but when I went to recall the details there was nothing!!!!

In public school we used to do a weekly reading/comprehension program which were little stories we had to read and then answer questions on. I was always horrible at comprehension. Nice to know I've been consistent after all this time!!!!

Albino Fox
06-03-05, 09:10 PM
Reading: 352.
Comprehension: ˝ of a question. But who cares what their names are or what they chased? It's all details. I got the plot down, and the spirit of the story was quite clear to me.

So, my comprehension was just like crime_scene's.

Then again, this isn't how I usually read. I tend to slow down my reading dramatically just so that I can pick up on all the little details. In fact, if I weren't worried about this somewhat throughout the story, I would've surely finished it within a minute.

Maybe I just need to relax. That way my worries won't occupy my brain's 'RAM'. It's terrible how relaxation and timed tests just never go hand-in-hand like that.

Perhaps, here's a perspective I could apply:
Worrying does nothing more than try to improve your reading techniques at the last minute. So, find any way to go over the process beforehand, then take it and go with it, satisfied that it's 'good enough for now'.

HighFunctioning
06-04-05, 07:32 PM
The question of WPM here assumes that one reads all words. It does not account for the words skipped. It also does not account for me reading each sentence two or three times each. For the record, assuming in this context that WPM is defined to be the position in which one is at before the timer goes off:

WPM: ~120

As usual, I didn't remember anything.

When I read, I need to be looking for information of interest. I need some frame of reference. I can read instruction manuals quite well, in fact, when necessary. Of course, in reading instruction manuals, I pay more attention to the diagrams than the text.

Squirrel
06-11-05, 02:46 PM
495, but I can't remember the names of characters in stories to save my life. Only remembered the butterflies...:D If I was reading something I actually intended to remember, it would take me longer.

Nova
06-11-05, 03:00 PM
352- with comprehension/retention of the story.
Nova

Ichpuchtli
06-12-05, 08:04 AM
291 WPM Hey that aint that bad is it. well looking at nova it seems quite bad.
With the questions I don't know any of em.

Mystic_Oracle
06-12-05, 10:23 AM
Haha, this is what I'm trying to improve on - my reading speed!

Nova
06-12-05, 03:40 PM
It really doesn't matter-with regards to spead reading. It's comprensive reading, and retaining the necessary material that counts, IMHO.. I believe the more we're able to focus on that, speed will happen through time..
Nova

MrADD
06-22-05, 03:01 PM
127 Wpm

Mystic_Oracle
06-22-05, 08:41 PM
If you have a Learning Disability (I'm thinking a comprehension disability), can you still improve your reading speed and retention rate?

*~ §EEK ~*
04-13-06, 07:04 AM
If you have a Learning Disability (I'm thinking a comprehension disability), can you still improve your reading speed and retention rate?I'd love to know the answer to this question myself!

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia in 1975, (Age 12) and it dramatically changed my school life from the horrible never-ending daytime nightmare that it was, into a much more rewarding and enjoyable experience for all!

Then in 1986, (Age 32) while I was enrolled in some lovely marriage counseling, (Or was it divorce counceling? I guess the term one chooses is directly proportional to the experience at the time!!! Woohoo!!! :D )
Anyway, unfortunately the counseling did nothing for my marriage, but did fortunately, lead to me being diagnosed with ADHD, which again, changed my life in a very meaningful, albeit melodramatic manner!!

However, after taking the "WPM Reading Test" above, and scoring 218 WPM, but then only getting 1 of the comprehension questions correct, started me thinking a lot about that last question I read in this thread...(Which I think could be answered much easier by a LD person much younger than myself, (I'm 42!...I think!) or by a teacher, councelor, or parent of an LD child!) Anyway.....Mystic_Oracle's question......"How does one improve their reading speed, comprehension, and retention rate?" is what I'd also like to know!

However, I can no longer recall any of the training that I know I had back in 1975 for my dyslexia.

Oh how strange it all can seem,
almost like someone else's dream.

when I no longer can recall,
if I was here or there at all.

this long forgotten memory,
that happened just to me!

hmmm... never was much of a poet!

Anyway, I'm absolutely certain that they did do something to help me overcome all the difficulties in school I was having way back when.

Heck, I can't even remember what I did yesterday much less in 1975! LMAO :D

I also have never had any children of my own, or borrowed anyone elses for that matter, so learning from any possible learning disabilities they might have gotten from me wasn't an option! Opps, I knew I'd forgotten something again! Oh yeah...kids? It was KIDS! Opps, I was supposed to try and have a few of them little rascals before I was 42!!! Wasn't I??? Or...not??? Yeah, I was! Alright then! Now who is it that has the worse ADD??? ;) Huh??? :)

Anyway, for all the reasons above I'm unable to answer Mystic_Oracle's question myself.

I would imagine that truckloads of new information has been discovered about Dyslexia, (Or just reading and comprehension improvement in general) since 1975!

Perhaps, one of you could shed some new light on this topic for all of us LDs that still struggle with reading and comprehension!

So.....any answers for the question Mystic_Oracle raised in this thread clear back in June 2005????
If you have a Learning Disability (I'm thinking a comprehension disability), can you still improve your reading speed and retention rate?How about any threads here on the ADD Forums website that may already be covering this topic, or perhaps some other website you are aware of that covers reading speed and comprehension improvement for the learning disabled (LD)?

Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated! :)

Peace,*~ §EEK ~*

ChrisO
04-13-06, 08:05 AM
Reading: 412
Comprehension: got all but the last question

P.S. - Also noticed a typo in the 352 word section (It's a bad habit of mine, sorry!):
"Warren had really sad for several days"
should be: "Warren had been really sad for several days".

Julezz
04-13-06, 08:40 AM
1. Mallard

2. Warren...

3.Butterflies...

Give me something that I enjoy reading and I usually retain more. lol... Even with this wonderful retention score... I found myself having to go back and re-read. Sometimes takes me a sec to "get into" the story. (BTW... that was included in my time.)

*~ §EEK ~*
04-30-06, 08:13 PM
The quote below was edited down to a single paragraph by *~ §EEK ~*, from a much larger post. --> (Post #14)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then in 1986, (Age 32) while I was enrolled in some lovely marriage counseling, (Or was it divorce counceling? I guess the term one chooses is directly proportional to the experience at the time!!! Woohoo!!! :D )
Anyway, unfortunately the counseling did nothing for my marriage, but did fortunately, lead to me being diagnosed with ADHD, which again, changed my life in a very meaningful, albeit melodramatic manner!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the first line of the quoted paragraph above, the line should have read:

"Then in 1996, (Age 32)"......etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opps, Sorry for the typo error! :o

Peace,
*~ §EEK ~*

dormammau2008
04-30-06, 08:32 PM
lol never noticed the error seek lol dorm

Dissonance
12-02-06, 05:39 PM
495 wmp... I only got 2 of the 3 questions...

Skully
12-02-06, 06:03 PM

1. Brian and ???
2. Brian
3. frogs and butterflys

excuse me while I finish reading the story now...

Skully
12-02-06, 06:06 PM
Oh man!!! The story was a cliffhanger!!!! How do I know what happened! Did warren go see Brian or not????? Now I am going to have to spend the next few hours trying to find the rest of the story!

Gee, can someone say hyperfocus???

QueensU_girl
12-02-06, 09:29 PM
I think that as speed increases, the comprehension drops.

Color Scheming
12-03-06, 01:34 PM
341 and like normal i would of had to reread the story about three times in order to actually answer the questions at the bottom,, three times is enough for me to remember what i actually read.

massagefever
04-01-07, 10:46 AM
291 but I also has two children who kept asking me questions the whole min.

I can normally finish a novel in one day if not distracted, one i want to read anyway. Things I have to read never get finished. And when I read normals I can skip words and know what it said and what it's referring to.

Addesso
02-10-08, 07:23 PM
Reading: 412
Comprehension: Willy and Billy? Willy? Flies?

I'm one of those "gist" readers: I get the gist of what I read and can explain it back, but many of the fine details are lost. (Same with definitions where I can use a word fine, but can't explain what it means very well.) I figure if one really needs that information, one can look it back up, right? =)

Apparently there is an apocryphal story about this and Albert Einstein: When one of Albert Einstein's colleagues asked the eminent physicist for his telephone number one day, he reached for a telephone directory and looked it up. "You don't remember your own number?" the man asked, understandably startled. "No," Einstein replied with a shrug. "Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?"

That said, it was a lovely story! =)

Dory
02-10-08, 08:19 PM
and zero on the questions

Mary
02-10-08, 08:31 PM
arggggggggggggg.... way too many distractions!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try again later!

qhcowgirl
04-02-08, 10:22 PM
Read the story and had about 15 seconds left to go... For retention, got all but the last question.

Daveg
04-05-08, 11:08 AM
352WPM & 100% retention

At Heart
04-06-08, 06:07 PM
Was there some significance to changing the font color? I can read very fast, but my comprehension was not as good as it should have been (2 out of 3).

chadega
05-20-08, 05:30 AM
Finished reading with 17 seconds to spare.

Got first two questions, missed the last one.

I have a bad habit of needing to reread the first paragraph of anything once or twice to get into the rhythm of things and then continue reading. I didn't do that for this test.

Don't know about the accuracy of this test. I'd prefer a much longer one thats timed. I got a score of 800 for the verbal part of the SAT, and had time to spare on all the verbal sections when taking the test. I also tend to read books pretty fast, though the more complicated the writing the more time I try to take to read it (for instance when trying to learn statistics or science).

Logic
02-24-09, 12:30 PM
I was told by an Educational Psychologist that I have a reading speed of 55% normal average, that I have unstable syntax processing and critisised me for following the lines of print with my finger as I read out the passage he had given me to read!

Logic

dormammau2008
03-01-09, 01:35 PM
i have no idea how meny i can even read!

dorm but its very low

dorm