View Full Version : Weird episode during choir performance

Laneless
12-09-16, 09:53 AM
My daughter is 10 and she was diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) about a year ago. She started vyvanse (30 mg) at the beginning of this school year in Sept. she has been in Her schools choir every year. She recently had a performance and I could see her start to act strange before they even really got started. She kept fidgeting, she would touch her chest and then her head and back and forth. I was afraid she was about to pass out, but her teacher noticed and guided her off the stage. When I got to her she was recovering, but she had had cold sweats, was pale, and complained about not being able to see where she was going while being guided off the stage. I mentioned to her dr who chalked it up to her locking her legs. I didn't feel that was it because I was watching and she didn't seem to ever lock her legs or was stiff at all, she kept moving the entire time, and was definitely distressed. I didn't think too much of it though and figured maybe it was all the circumstances plus her medication. The dr did decide to lower her dose to 20 mg and she's been doing better with the lower dosage. Fast forward to yesterday and I find out that she's been missing choir practice and a performance on purpose and playing it off as she forgot to stay for practice. Long story short, after some discussion and a little prying she admitted that just watching the performance she missed brought back feelings of her incident and she was "having butterflies in her stomach" and a little dizzy. She has been intentionally missing practice because she is now afraid to perform again. She has absolutely loved every year until now. Last night I couldn't get to sleep and my brain wouldn't shut down, and I got to thinking of maybe she actually had a panic attack at her performance. I've never had one so I have no idea and may be thinking way into it, but I'm just curious if this may have been a possibility so we can discuss and decide where to go from here regarding choir. I don't want her to fear something she loves.

ginniebean
12-09-16, 01:19 PM
Anxiety is a comorbid. All of this points to anxiety.

TygerSan
12-10-16, 12:42 PM
I agree that it sounds like anxiety. I was around 10 when I realized what it actually meant to perform in front of others and actually cared what others thought of my performance. Before then I loved getting up in front of groups and talking. I was around 11 the first time I felt everyone's eyes trained on me and my mind went totally blank.

Caco3girl
12-12-16, 10:49 AM
Sometimes kids change as they grow. What brought her pleasure in first grade may not bring her pleasure now. There are MANY people in the world that don't like being on stage or have fear/anxiety when they have to be.

I would talk to her to see if she still wants to be in Choir. Maybe this is a get back up on the horse that bucked you sort of situation, but maybe it really is a change in preference. Some people enjoy the stage and others prefer a dark corner. Perhaps she should talk about it with her doctor and if she doesn't want to do it I wouldn't push it.