View Full Version : Help with computer based assessments

Tyke83
12-09-16, 12:45 PM
Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 33, I have coped ok so far and managed to get through uni and on to a professional career. I've so far avoided post grad exams via having a couple of kids, but I'm staring down the barrel of a big (and not cheap!) exam at the end of January. It's online at one of the driving test centres.

I clicked today, after misreading the umpteenth question when revising online, I managed MCQs at uni by drawing on them on the question paper, underlining, highlighting etc so I had to take it in properly. Obviously that's not possible in a computer based test; I've done one other long test like that and didn't do very well.

I've not long started concerta and am still on the lowest dose so I know I can up it but I want to be practical too incase I can't tolerate anything higher.

So basically - any top tips how to get round this? Any help very much appreciated!

ginniebean
12-09-16, 03:41 PM
Maybe you can take deep breaths before reading each new question, read each question three times before answering. impulsivity in answering before you understand the question is a part of life. Do your best to buold a habit to help you take the time to read the question

mctavish23
12-29-16, 09:37 PM
For the record,

There are NO evidenced based psychometric assessments for ADHD, especially & including computer based.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

dvdnvwls
12-29-16, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure, but I get the impression that the test in question has to do with driving qualifications and not ADHD, and that the request is for strategies of effective test-taking.

mctavish23
12-31-16, 07:06 PM
My bad :eek:

Fraser_0762
12-31-16, 07:17 PM
Write the questions down on a sheet of paper and highlight the key words and phrases contained within the questions. Do this one question at a time. It will make it easier to break each question down and get a proper grasp on what it is really asking you.

I do this for all of my college assessments, as I also have difficulty processing information when reading questions, or just reading in general.

someothertime
12-31-16, 11:21 PM
I quite often hold my fingers up on the critical points on a screen when i'm focus deficient....

Accommodations? Some apps will draw boxes etc. as screen overlays.... good luck with the powers that be getting those..... but of a learning curve too..... Request paper test?