View Full Version : Mayne methamphetamine hydrochloride (generic) - anyone tried this generic?

b3nault
12-10-16, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturers generic (Mayne Pharma)?

I'm going to start it next week and just curious as to what I should be expecting.

When I was taking generic Desoxyn in the past, it was the Mylan version. While it was better than any other medication I have tried for my symptoms, it was rather inconsistent.

Hopefully I'll this generic will be better. One day I would love to try the branded Desoxyn from Recordati Rare Diseases, but I'm still unclear as to wether or not they still offer it or not. I've tried contacting them about it, but have yet to get back a response.

b3nault
12-10-16, 11:20 PM
Or has anyone tried the generic from Roxane?

jkimbo
12-11-16, 06:47 PM
Before I googled it, I thought you were talking about crystal meth lol

elite242lbs
02-03-17, 07:51 PM
Brand is available and in stock according to my insurance pharmacy but it's a lot of money.

inbetweenshades
08-31-17, 11:34 PM
Brand name formula was recently changed and it's useless.
Generic isn't much better, but a little.(Mayne)
This new version has actually knocked me out more than once. Had I been driving at the time, it surely would have ended in a wreck.
And it's not just me. Even my pharmacist, for once, requested that I submit a complaint to FDA AND current maker.
It is working for no one that I no of right now.

Which really sucks for me because I have literally tried everything now.
I'm at a a total loss as to what to do next.
But PLEASE, do not spend over a a thousand dollars for a months supply of this medication. It no longer works.

sarahsweets
09-01-17, 04:23 AM
This new version has actually knocked me out more than once. Had I been driving at the time, it surely would have ended in a wreck.
And it's not just me. Even my pharmacist, for once, requested that I submit a complaint to FDA AND current maker.

But PLEASE, do not spend over a a thousand dollars for a months supply of this medication. It no longer works.

Have you tried other amphetamines?

elite242lbs
09-05-17, 06:59 PM
I have been prescribed this medication since Feb. 2017, I take the generic version from Mayne and have not noticed any changes as of yet.

jeffb74
09-05-17, 10:34 PM
Elite242lbs, after six months taking the generic version from Mayne and I'm not sure you're current dosage, but what is your overall experience, opinion, of the Mayne Pharma Tablets (generic version of Desoxyn)?

elite242lbs
10-06-17, 10:17 PM
Elite242lbs, after six months taking the generic version from Mayne and I'm not sure you're current dosage, but what is your overall experience, opinion, of the Mayne Pharma Tablets (generic version of Desoxyn)?

Jeffb74, I find Mayne generic working great for me. I have not tried brand or have had any interest to. With Desoxyn, I don't experience any of the physical sides I had with Adderall. With Vyvanse I felt extremely talkative and generous, definitely wasn't myself. Both didn't feel good to workout/train with, especially at their peak and the comedown was awful. Desoxyn has been much smoother than both mentioned. 15mg in the AM and 10mg in the PM works great for me. 15mg works the best getting me out of zombie mode to get my day started and 10mg works perfect for any other time of the day. Comedown is easy, I can train and eat well on it. A new doc has me on 10mg twice a day. Still better than anything else I've tried but will talk to him about my experience.

baical
10-16-17, 02:02 AM
Recordati I believe is based in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure if they're still in business but at one point weren't they the only one that produces Desoxyn? So now Mayne produces it?

does desoxyn always work for you? Is it more consistent than other ADHD meds?

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturers generic (Mayne Pharma)?

I'm going to start it next week and just curious as to what I should be expecting.

When I was taking generic Desoxyn in the past, it was the Mylan version. While it was better than any other medication I have tried for my symptoms, it was rather inconsistent.

Hopefully I'll this generic will be better. One day I would love to try the branded Desoxyn from Recordati Rare Diseases, but I'm still unclear as to wether or not they still offer it or not. I've tried contacting them about it, but have yet to get back a response.

inbetweenshades
11-27-17, 01:28 AM
Have you tried other amphetamines?

Sorry for the late reply. (I lost my password.) :umm1:

The short answer is yes, I have taken just about everything.

Adderall worked best for me for years, back when Shire still made the IR, old formula.
There is no current form of Adderall that I am willing to, or can take. The side effects are terrible for me, and it simply doesn't work. Speaking just for myself of course.

Dexadrine works to a degree for me. However, I have an allergy to red dye, (not sure exactly which one) so that makes it pretty hard to take. Also, it's very short acting, so it's a bit of a hassle in that way too.

Methylphenidateis a nightmare. It makes me feel very bizarre, then sleepy, then hungry within a few hours.
Vyvance MIGHT have worked for me if it came in an IR version.
I recently tried Providgil, and that was possibly the worst experience of all.

I cannot take anything time released, regardless of what the medicine is for. My metabolism just doesn't know what to do with it. (I've tried, but it just doesn't work.)
Which narrows down my choices significantly, as I'm sure you're aware.
I recently had a DNA test done, and it verified that. I have a gene mutation. "MTHFR."
If you haven't heard of that, look it up. FUN! (Not.)

So, even though it's not not working correctly, (for me, anyway,) the generic Desoxyn still seems to be the best bet for now.
(If there is maker other than Mayne, I am unaware of it.)
It's inconsistent, but I don't experience any side effects at all, (aside from the occasional unexplained sudden tiredness) so it's still my current medication.

No jitters, headaches, chatting too much, hyperfocusing, severe confusion, back and/or muscle aches, hair loss, insomnia, rashes, asthma attacks, unexplained panic attacks ect.
(That list is endless isn't it?) :rolleyes:

~An update on the Recor "name brand" Desoxyn.
After receiving two different phone calls from someone in Belgrade asking me to elaborate on the complaint I filed about the Desoxyn recently, I got an idea.
I did some research on my symptoms from taking the current name brand. Eventually, I came up with something that I thought explained what was happening. I called my doctor, and he agreed to help me test my theory.
It turned out that I was correct.

About 20 to 30 minuets after taking the name brand Desoxyn, my blood pressure and heart rate dropped 10 points. I got very dizzy, and I imagine that if I had been sitting at home I would have simply passed out, just like I did before. It continued to go up and down for about two to three hours. But the biggest dip, as I said, was about 20 minuets after I took it. And it was never high.

We tested the same way the following day with the generic, and that did not happen again. (At least, not at the onset.)
Several times, (including that day) I have fallen asleep about three hours after taking my (generic) medicine. It doesn't feel like simply falling asleep though. I get very tired very fast, lightheaded, and then bam. Lights out. I generally wake up again about 20- 30 minuets later. I don't know if that is due to a sudden drop in blood pressure though, as my doctor wasn't watching me as closely by then.
And unlike the name brand, it doesn't happen every time. About once or twice a week I think.

I also had my doctor check my blood pressure and heart rate the day I took the last of my Ovation Desoxyn, and it was "perfect."
I have never experienced anything like this before, with any medication, and there is nothing that could be causing this short of something in the name brand Desoxyn. (Or not in it, I suppose.)

I do not know if this is what is happening to other people who are still taking it, and I don't know why it is happening to me.
But if anyone is taking this medication and experiencing symptoms like I have, I highly suggest checking for strange fluctuations in your blood pressure and heart rate, since that can be very dangerous.
Obviously, knowing what I know now, I refuse to take the name brand again.

I really hope that the company who holds the patent for this medication gets it together because it is, in my opinion, hands down the best thing out there.

And I would LOVE to hear from anyone, (everyone) else who is currently taking this medication.
I truly hope this information can be helpful.

F.Y.I., I take 10 milligrams in the morning, 5 milligrams about four hours later, and another five about four hours after that.
So max is 20 milligrams a day.
I didn't usually need the third dose when I took the Ovation brand though.
(On Adderall it was originally 60 a day, then when formula changed in 2008, I went down to 40 due to side effects.)
I've been taking Desoxyn (off and on) since 2011, and have never required more than that.
I do take meds for anxiety, but that hasn't changed in about 15 years now.
And I have never had any issues as far as what, or when I eat.

baical
12-21-17, 06:27 PM
I don't get why any company would market a product meant to be THAT product and isn't up to par to what it's supposed to be. Ingredients are cheap, BRAND names aka logos AREN'T!

baical
12-21-17, 06:32 PM
How did so many companies all of a sudden started jumping on the Desoxyn bandwagon? There was like only 1 company making it a year or so ago...

Sorry for the late reply. (I lost my password.) :umm1:

The short answer is yes, I have taken just about everything.

Adderall worked best for me for years, back when Shire still made the IR, old formula.
There is no current form of Adderall that I am willing to, or can take. The side effects are terrible for me, and it simply doesn't work. Speaking just for myself of course.

Dexadrine works to a degree for me. However, I have an allergy to red dye, (not sure exactly which one) so that makes it pretty hard to take. Also, it's very short acting, so it's a bit of a hassle in that way too.

Methylphenidateis a nightmare. It makes me feel very bizarre, then sleepy, then hungry within a few hours.
Vyvance MIGHT have worked for me if it came in an IR version.
I recently tried Providgil, and that was possibly the worst experience of all.

I cannot take anything time released, regardless of what the medicine is for. My metabolism just doesn't know what to do with it. (I've tried, but it just doesn't work.)
Which narrows down my choices significantly, as I'm sure you're aware.
I recently had a DNA test done, and it verified that. I have a gene mutation. "MTHFR."
If you haven't heard of that, look it up. FUN! (Not.)

So, even though it's not not working correctly, (for me, anyway,) the generic Desoxyn still seems to be the best bet for now.
(If there is maker other than Mayne, I am unaware of it.)
It's inconsistent, but I don't experience any side effects at all, (aside from the occasional unexplained sudden tiredness) so it's still my current medication.

No jitters, headaches, chatting too much, hyperfocusing, severe confusion, back and/or muscle aches, hair loss, insomnia, rashes, asthma attacks, unexplained panic attacks ect.
(That list is endless isn't it?) :rolleyes:

~An update on the Recor "name brand" Desoxyn.
After receiving two different phone calls from someone in Belgrade asking me to elaborate on the complaint I filed about the Desoxyn recently, I got an idea.
I did some research on my symptoms from taking the current name brand. Eventually, I came up with something that I thought explained what was happening. I called my doctor, and he agreed to help me test my theory.
It turned out that I was correct.

About 20 to 30 minuets after taking the name brand Desoxyn, my blood pressure and heart rate dropped 10 points. I got very dizzy, and I imagine that if I had been sitting at home I would have simply passed out, just like I did before. It continued to go up and down for about two to three hours. But the biggest dip, as I said, was about 20 minuets after I took it. And it was never high.

We tested the same way the following day with the generic, and that did not happen again. (At least, not at the onset.)
Several times, (including that day) I have fallen asleep about three hours after taking my (generic) medicine. It doesn't feel like simply falling asleep though. I get very tired very fast, lightheaded, and then bam. Lights out. I generally wake up again about 20- 30 minuets later. I don't know if that is due to a sudden drop in blood pressure though, as my doctor wasn't watching me as closely by then.
And unlike the name brand, it doesn't happen every time. About once or twice a week I think.

I also had my doctor check my blood pressure and heart rate the day I took the last of my Ovation Desoxyn, and it was "perfect."
I have never experienced anything like this before, with any medication, and there is nothing that could be causing this short of something in the name brand Desoxyn. (Or not in it, I suppose.)

I do not know if this is what is happening to other people who are still taking it, and I don't know why it is happening to me.
But if anyone is taking this medication and experiencing symptoms like I have, I highly suggest checking for strange fluctuations in your blood pressure and heart rate, since that can be very dangerous.
Obviously, knowing what I know now, I refuse to take the name brand again.

I really hope that the company who holds the patent for this medication gets it together because it is, in my opinion, hands down the best thing out there.

And I would LOVE to hear from anyone, (everyone) else who is currently taking this medication.
I truly hope this information can be helpful.

F.Y.I., I take 10 milligrams in the morning, 5 milligrams about four hours later, and another five about four hours after that.
So max is 20 milligrams a day.
I didn't usually need the third dose when I took the Ovation brand though.
(On Adderall it was originally 60 a day, then when formula changed in 2008, I went down to 40 due to side effects.)
I've been taking Desoxyn (off and on) since 2011, and have never required more than that.
I do take meds for anxiety, but that hasn't changed in about 15 years now.
And I have never had any issues as far as what, or when I eat.

inbetweenshades
12-23-17, 03:25 PM
How did so many companies all of a sudden started jumping on the Desoxyn bandwagon? There was like only 1 company making it a year or so ago...

As far as I'm aware, there are only two companies making it at the moment. Mayne; the generic, and Recor; the name brand.

Walmart recently told me they had a different brand, and I changed pharmacies in order to try it but when I went to pick it up, it was Mayne. I was rold they could no longer get whatever brand it had been.

Recor bought the rights from Ovation, so Ovation no longer makes the name brand.
Recor told me that they did NOT change the formula but if that's true, then pigs CAN fly.

I'm hoping enough complaints are made that they are forced to fix it.
Time will tell.

H.~

relax21
01-18-18, 12:05 AM
Have you tried the generic manufacturer West-Ward? I know there’s 3 manufacturers now: Recordati (brand), Mayne (generic), and West-Ward (generic). I’d be interested to hear anyone’s feedback comparing West-Ward vs Mayne.

elite242lbs
02-03-18, 07:25 PM
Have you tried the generic manufacturer West-Ward? I know there’s 3 manufacturers now: Recordati (brand), Mayne (generic), and West-Ward (generic). I’d be interested to hear anyone’s feedback comparing West-Ward vs Mayne.

I was told about west-ward about a year ago I think but it turned out that it wasn't so. Mayne is the only available generic. If it is available, I am switching right away bc something seems to have changed with Mayne.

inbetweenshades
04-09-18, 03:08 PM

Now that I see the name, that's the brand Walmart claimed that they had, but once I switched pharmacies, they couldn't get it.
I would be more than happy to try it, since the Mayne seems to be all over the place, but I haven't been able to find it.

Out of desperation, I recently had the name brand filled again. (Recor)
It IS different than it was when it first came onto the market, (last July I believe,) but I don't think it's better.

While it didn't make me pass out like before, it now seems to mess with my heart rate. Not in a "therapeutic" way. I don't feel more energetic, or focused. I simply have a racing heart and can't sleep until it wears off.
(I can sleep quite well on the generic, which is part of the problem.)
It seems to mess with my breathing, and it increased my anxiety tenfold at least. (Which is the last thing I need.)

My roommate tried it as well and had an even worse reaction than I did.
Along with the racing heart and breathing difficulties, she became extremely agitated, then sleepy, and then emotional to the point of tears.

I've decided to put the rest of that nearly $2000.00 script away and go back to the generic for now.
To say that I am frustrated would be a HUGE understatement.

I really do not understand why they had to mess with the formula, which was the same from 1943 until the end of 2017.
:(