View Full Version : Ways to prevent hair loss/thinning?

owias12
12-12-16, 07:14 AM
Hi all. For those of you who are experiencing hair loss or thinning from Vyvanse, have you found ways to stop the thinning or reduce the amount of hair loss? I have thick long hair and since starting Vyvanse 3 months ago it has thinned significantly and I went through a period in which the hair was falling out in small clumps. I have started taking Biotin and different vitamins. I really hate to have to stop taking the medication, but if I'm going to lose my hair and it's just going to damage what hair I have left, I don't think I will continue taking it.

Thanks in advance for any insight/suggestions.

owias

sarahsweets
12-13-16, 02:45 AM
Biotin. I sweat by it for hair and nails.

Little Nut
12-13-16, 06:43 PM
WAIT A DAMN MINUTE ! ! !

Is hair loss an issue w/ dextroamphetamine?

Little Missy
12-13-16, 07:12 PM
WAIT A DAMN MINUTE ! ! !

Is hair loss an issue w/ dextroamphetamine?

No! :)

Hair loss is genetic and it runs on the maternal side. Was your mom's father bald?

Swissy
12-13-16, 07:32 PM
There is an amazing supplement called Viviscal. I lost tons of hair due to postpartum thyroid issues. If t weren't for viviscal I would probably be bald. Also you have to keep it hydrated to reduce breakage. I LOVE "hydrate and repair argon oil of Morocco hair butter" by ogx. It's a leave in or rinse out used in addition to regular conditioner. It is amazing, even as a skin moisturizer! I also take 5000mcg of biotin and drink plenty of water.

Ps- I think you can't take viviscal if you have a shell fish allergy- you might want to check on that.

Swissy
12-13-16, 07:33 PM
Ps- if you get viviscal buy from Amazon. Significantly cheaper than CVS!

Little Nut
12-13-16, 07:47 PM
No! :)

Hair loss is genetic and it runs on the maternal side. Was your mom's father bald?

Thank goodness.

Maternal GF had full head when passed in mid 70's.
IIRC some of maternal GM's brothers were bald later in life. Some not.

Little Missy
12-13-16, 07:58 PM
Thank goodness.

Maternal GF had full head when passed in mid 70's.
IIRC some of maternal GM's brothers were bald later in life. Some not.

Don't do the happy dance yet...you never know :eek:

Swissy
12-13-16, 08:58 PM
If that genetic theory were true I'd have lush locks. So many things can contribute to hair loss, even if your mom's dad had thick hair.

Little Missy
12-13-16, 09:32 PM
I'm looking for a way to keep mine from getting any thicker.

owias12
12-14-16, 06:50 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone. I cannot say it was the Vyvanse for sure. All I know is that I've always had very thick hair, and after starting the medication, I started to lose a lot of hair. So much so, several people commented that my hair looked thinner. I am trying biotin and different vitamins. Will try to keep you posted on what happens. Take care.