View Full Version : What changes in personality should I expect?

AddGoomba
12-12-16, 10:31 AM
Hello,

I am new here I hope I am posting this in the right place., I am a male in my 30s and I was just diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and prescribed with concerta. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was younger and now I am off all meds except for concerta.

I am just on my second dose of concerta. My psych gave me two 18mg pills so 36mg total, but he also referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist did some blood test, an MRI and an EEG. He confirmed the diagnosis, but started me off with 18mg per day. I felt more comfortable starting with the lower dose.

I have a few questions and concerns.

How long till I notice any difference?
What changes should I notice?
Will there be any changes in personality or way of thinking??

The last question is the most important to me. I am introverted, and I love getting lost in my thoughts and daydreaming. I don't want to lose that. It's what makes me who I am. I like my racing thoughts sometimes.... I don't want things to go all quiet.

I only saw a psych cuz some of my friends were noticing I am not concentrating, people at work also noticed that I am easily distracted. It has been affecting my work slightly, but also I have some moderate depression.

I have always been easily distracted and quickly bored since at I was a young child.

Thank you all for your support... I am a little scared of change.

ginniebean
12-12-16, 01:07 PM
I experienced no changes to my personality and most don't. A change in personality such as easily irritated and outbursts of massive *****iness is a side effect for some and means a dose change or med change may be necessary. Zombieitis same deal. Expect and demand effective changes.

ginniebean
12-12-16, 01:08 PM
Oh for some they notice right away, for others like myself the real noticing of many changes took a couple of months.

jkimbo
12-12-16, 03:15 PM
I am bipolar too and just started taking adderall 3 months ago. Depends on dosage I think and our current mood state. Sometimes I have a smile you can't wipe off! Sometimes I seem to get irritated and agitated easily. But I was like that before the adderall and that's one reason I also take klonopin. IMHO I also think our personality has something to do with it and any preconditions we had. Certainly the dosage may effect it too.

Lunacie
12-12-16, 03:31 PM
Oh for some they notice right away, for others like myself the real noticing of many changes took a couple of months.

And we don't notice all the changes ourselves. Good to have someone who can
give you feedback on what changes they are seeing.

When my granddaughter started Concerta the most noticable change we saw at
home was that she stopped arguing about every little thing.

It worked really well for her for about a year, but it wasn't lasting nearly long
enough. She couldn't even finish her school day much less do any homework.

AddGoomba
12-13-16, 05:04 AM
Thank you all for your comments and support. I really appreciate it!

Today is my third day on 18mg of concerta. I feel weird. Headaches and I'm a bit depressed. I'm also stressed. I think the last two are probably from before I started the meds.

I am really scared... things are going quiet, I do admit they were too noisy at times... but they seem to quiet now. It's scary I'm just blank! I dunno if this is the meds or is it just me overthinking?

And the come down at night is horrible... I really hate this. I did some work my first day now I can't...

jkimbo
12-13-16, 01:17 PM
think concerta is the same as ritalin, same drug in both. If it makes you feel weird let your pdoc or gdoc know. They may want to try something different like adderall which has 2 different main drugs in that balance each other off for a smoother effect. The result is very subtle, no real euphoric effect just a feeling of well being and I can focus better and concentrate better. No side effects for me other then I get thirsty more often.

Certainly regardless which med your given, the dosage is everything. I'm only on 15 mg once a day, not enough imo, because it only lasts for about 3 to 4 hours. But no depression and totally wipes out any social anxiety. I feel more confident and focused!

Good luck!

AddGoomba
12-14-16, 11:04 AM
Thank you for your reply! According to my psych and neurologist only concerta is available in my country.

I dunno... I'll try it till my next appointment. I'll see what happens.

AddGoomba
12-23-16, 01:24 PM
Ok so it's been about two weeks now on 18 mg of concerta... I don't really like it here's why...

I don't see much difference
Things seem quieter, but that's unsettling
And most importantly, I'm more irritable and agitated and people are noticing it

I went to my psych and shared my concerns, he suggested increasing the dose to 36 mg... he said the side effects will lessen with time...

I don't like being agitated! I don't like being irritable! Will this change? I don't have any other options other than concerta in my country.

I'm going to see my neurologist tomorrow... I will share my concerns with him and see what he says... I'm thinking of stopping all together...

What are your experiences? Does the irritability and agitation go away?

Lunacie
12-23-16, 05:48 PM
Ok so it's been about two weeks now on 18 mg of concerta... I don't really like it here's why...

I don't see much difference
Things seem quieter, but that's unsettling
And most importantly, I'm more irritable and agitated and people are noticing it

I went to my psych and shared my concerns, he suggested increasing the dose to 36 mg... he said the side effects will lessen with time...

I don't like being agitated! I don't like being irritable! Will this change? I don't have any other options other than concerta in my country.

I'm going to see my neurologist tomorrow... I will share my concerns with him and see what he says... I'm thinking of stopping all together...

What are your experiences? Does the irritability and agitation go away?

Try the bigger dose. It often does make a difference when you find the right dose for YOU.

And if the side effects get worse, this is one med that you can stop without needing to taper off.

I hope the dose increase helps you feel better.

AddGoomba
01-25-17, 05:35 AM
Try the bigger dose. It often does make a difference when you find the right dose for YOU.

And if the side effects get worse, this is one med that you can stop without needing to taper off.

I hope the dose increase helps you feel better.

First I would like to thank you all for your support. It has really helped a lot.

Since my last update I have stopped concerta for about 10 days. I was on 18 mg. I have been to my psychologist and he asked me to try 36 mg. I have been on it for about 2 or 3 weeks and this is what I noticed:

I am not as agitated, however, I am more anxious.
I am getting what seems to be some panic attacks.
I am sleeping less.
I am also eating less, but I am forcing myself to eat.
I am experiencing problems with my digestion and bowel movements.
At work it still feels as distracted as ever.
Also I am a bit more emotional I guess. This morning I just started crying while having breakfast.

The biggest issue is what seems to be my anxiety and my mood. I have been diagnosed with depression before and I had a bipolar diagnosis too. I really don't know what's going on.

There are personal issues that are affecting my moods, but I don't know if the medication is adding to the issue. Could I be focusing more on my emotions?

Also I don't feel that I am focusing any more...

sarahsweets
01-25-17, 06:06 AM
I know for me, anything from the methylphenidate class of drugs caused mood swings and anxiety which is why I do better on amphetamines.

Johnny Slick
01-25-17, 08:51 PM
I found the effects to be subtle as well. I definitely don't get as ****** off at things at work as I used to, which is technically a personality change I guess but not something I'm going to complain about. I tend to try to listen to people more before responding and am more aware of my tendencies to "jump ahead in line" in conversations, but TBH I think I'm pretty much as witty as I've ever been, and I've been pretty witty in the past. I don't feel under any particular mental haze, really, and if anything I think that sometimes the Ritalin causes me to feel some emotions more acutely because I'm more "in the moment" on them as opposed to thinking about 300 million other things (this can be good or bad - last week at improv class being in the moment and just not thinking about stuff was fantastic, flying home after Christmas and thinking about how I had nothing fun to fly home to, less so). All in all, I would ignore what you hear from the media on this stuff; I don't think that most people successfully treated for ADHD talk about how medication affected them and so you mostly just hear from folks who have a hard-on against meds or else had a really bad reaction.

noisette
05-23-17, 12:25 PM
I ve been using concerta 27 mg for 4 weeks. first week I was so confused and sensitive. I left my house for 2 days and try to understand what is going on. After that I realized I was patient with people. I COULD ACTUALLY LISTEN THEM. But now for 3 days I thik it is not working any more I get angry easily cant wait and focus again. I am going to take 36 mg I think. Some friends of mine with ADHD and told me they get angry when they use pills and they feel anxious. I think its side effects about emotions are not same for everyone. Its identical.

Johnny Slick
05-23-17, 04:19 PM
Definitely talk to your doctor before you do that, because 4 weeks is not a lot of time to grow tolerant of stuff. Personally, 6 months in I don't really notice the non-ADHDness anymore except when I don't take it (on the weekends for example although the last couple days I've been forgetting to get lunch and taking the pill with that) and so it doesn't feel as immediate, if that makes sense, but it's *definitely* still there having an effect on me...

I will say that I really, really think that the pills, when they work (and man, I am so, so happy they work for me) are really only the very first step. If you're like a lot of us here, you're a bit broken by a lifetime of having to deal with this condition and now that you can treat it, the bigger part of the process is fixing the rest of you.

ohlookakitty
05-25-17, 05:48 PM
Before Concerta I was very forgetful, my mind wanders in normal and often times important conversation as well as mild form of anxiety.

It does take the edge off and in the past at 27mg when I was around 25, it had a very bad appetite suppression and would get very dizzy if I wasn't keeping track of my eating (normally I eat three times a day).

Now in my late 30's and getting back on, currently take 18mg (but moving to 36mg tomorrow) and the appetite suppression hasn't been too terrible and can actually enjoy food (in the past it was forced eating). On average after couple months, I lost about 10 lbs which I'm also not complaining. Trying to eat healthier and also drink plenty of water.

Personality wise I'm more mellow is what my g/f said. When I'm not on it I can be moody. When the medication kick in though I can really focus and elevated my mood as I can think clearly and joy from being able to get things done.