View Full Version : Advice on prescription.

Vendy9
12-12-16, 10:27 PM
Hi I am hoping someone here can help me with a quick query on how to do something for my sons medication. My child has been medicated for about 3-4 months, he is on IR ritalin. His pediatrician has increased his dose but didn't write a new script as we have still have several repeats on the old dosage (5mg twice a day). My query is do I need a new script that reflects his current dosage (of 10mg twice a day) or do we simply ask the pharmacist to update it (seems unlikely). We are with the public system so even getting in touch with someone in administration is a drama.

Many thanks :)

Caco3girl
12-13-16, 09:45 AM
I can only speak for my sons medication. I am only permitted to fill a prescription once every 30 days. So, if he was on 5mg and I gave him a double dose I would need to refill it in 15 days and the pharmacy WOULD kick it back as unfillable.

Get a new prescription or you will likely find you can not fill it.

sarahsweets
12-17-16, 05:36 AM
Did the doc tell you to increase the dose by taking more of the meds you already have? If you have a new script at a different dose your insurance should still cover it-unless they will want you to use up what you have first.