View Full Version : Acomodation, but only if he is failing?

Caco3girl
12-13-16, 09:53 AM
I thought things were settled with the IEP, then came midterms and I was informed that things weren't how I thought they were.

The school has a computer program that reads text, that is what I wanted for my son. He has always been behind in his reading level. I suspect it isn't only ADHD, but the end result is he has a reading comprehension of about 9-12% if he reads something and 55-60% if someone reads it to him. When all was said and done it was written in the IEP that he has that accommodation for classwork and homework, it apparently says nothing about tests which is just idiotic.

After MANY emails the facilitator understood what I was saying about it not making sense to not have it for tests and she said "We can write it like this If test grade is below 70% after opportunity for STUDENT to read independently, provide retest options for test to be read aloud. The highest test grade will be utilized. "

Are "ACCOMMODATIONS" only suppose to be utilized if the kid fails the test? I thought accommodations were to put him on a level playing field with his peers. What am I missing? Why would it engage only if he failed the test?

Lunacie
12-13-16, 12:02 PM
I'd be asking WHY?

WHY is it handled differently for testing than for everyday classroom work?

Why Can't it be handled the same since the child has the same problem in both settings?

finallyfound10
12-13-16, 02:06 PM
That's not correct use of accommodations in children.

I was a public school teacher for years (all while be undiagnosed) and accommodations are to help level the entire playing field so hopefully a student doesn't get to the point of failing. They are interpreting it backwards.

He is already working harder than everyone else then to make him take tests that are basically set up for him to fail only to "let him" retake them will be very hard on his self-esteem.

Do your research on accommodations and what advocate resources are available in GA then set up a meeting with the school and stand your ground.

Good luck!!

ginniebean
12-13-16, 02:07 PM
For every single test that is excessive. Ican see them doing testing to see if his reading comprehension has improved but this is baffling and I feel your pain.

What we really need as a satelite industry is people well versed in the law of accomodations that would go with parents to keep these IEP provisions above board. Too much bullying and outright lying to parents is happening. It's a great cottage industry a lot of parents would pay for. And it would keep the schools honest.

Honestly, if I knew where to learn how to become a disability advocate for IEP's I absolutely would do it and have a nice little business for myself that actually does some good.

Caco3girl
12-13-16, 03:12 PM
I basically sent back a reply similar to what FinallyFound10 said.

I thought these accommodations were to put him on a level educational field with his peers, not to be engaged only when needed. Either he has a reading issue or he doesn't. It should not be based on how he did that day. There is no reason for him to settle for a 72 when he could have maybe achieved a 95."

I'm getting the impression that they are trying to make him PASS, not do well, not truly accommodate any disability he has, just PASS.

Little Missy
12-13-16, 09:38 PM
Quit with the emails. I'd go in with my fangs bared and say: "Give me a print out of the rules now. Please."

Caco3girl
12-14-16, 09:16 AM
Quit with the emails. I'd go in with my fangs bared and say: "Give me a print out of the rules now. Please."

Meeting set for 1/3 :- )

ginniebean
12-14-16, 01:11 PM

Oh no, email is documentation. Verbal conversations are denied.definitely document. Write an email after a conversation to ask if you've understood. Documentation may make them be more above board and if not it's evidence should you need ir.