View Full Version : Just started on Concerta

Callum B
12-13-16, 01:12 PM
Hi all, I've recently been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (no hyperactivity, I'm the inattentive sub-type). I'm 19 and I've always wondered why nothing ever runs smoothly for me. My teachers all thought I was intelligent in school but I needed to concentrate more. I've always struggled with motivation and getting things done (this was what made me start looking up and researching ADHD, as I'm currently having to do a lot of coursework for my job, which makes me incredibly stressed because I procrastinate on doing it - I leave it till last minute always). I'm always daydreaming as well, that's something I can't seem to snap out of, and as a result my concentration and attention is poor. In primary school one of teachers told my mother that I should get checked for it, but my doctor said I didn't have it.

I've also suffered with anxiety for about 3 or 4 years now too, I've been on various antidepressants with various success, I've now been on Escitalopram (lexapro) for over 2 weeks. My psychiatrist prescribed it for me (I got diagnosed privately because the waiting list on the NHS was almost 1 year and I didn't want to wait so long). He also recommended my GP prescribe me Concerta 18mg, which my GP was clearly hesitant about because he took about 30 seconds to click the 'print' button on his computer to print off my prescription lol.

So I've been on Concerta for 2 days now, and I don't know what to think about it, it's still early days I know but when I take it it makes my heart rate increase quite a bit. I felt slightly high. I have slight tremors in my hands too. It also seems to be increasing my anxiety. I was hoping for a med that would make me more sociable and less anxious (I've heard that is what should happen when you get the right med). I'm still quite tired on it too. I know there are a lot of other ADHD meds to try if this one doesn't work, so I'm not too concerned. Dexedrine looks interesting (Adderall is not available in the UK). But I'm going to give the Concerta a few more weeks and ask my GP to increase the dose to 36mg to see if that improves it. I see my psychiatrist again in January so if this med still doesn't work by then I'll ask to change to one of the Amphetamine based meds. But keeping my anxiety under control is important, I've had it for 4 years now and I'm sick of it lol.
Even more important though is getting my concentration increased so I can further my life rather than being stuck in this downward spiral for years.

So basically what I want to know is is this normal to feel this way when starting on Concerta? Are the amphetamine based meds superior to the methylphendate meds?

I didn't plan on writing this much haha, sorry for writing my life story but it felt good to write it all down lol.

P.S. I did feel very focused when writing this, but I don't know if this was me just hyper-focusing lol - I'll have to try and do my coursework tomorrow when I'm back home and see if I can focus on that like I did with this lol. :D

Anyway thanks for reading.

AddGoomba
12-23-16, 01:29 PM
I just started concerta on my 2nd week of 18 mg. I am having similar experiences. I don't have any tremors though. I noticed increased heart rate, irritability and agitation...

I hope I helped but maybe others with more experience can offer a better insight