View Full Version : Sleep aid supplaments.

Charmcityguy22
12-14-16, 08:02 PM
Whats the best sleepaid supplament i can take at night that will not only help me get a good night sleep that will inturn help me wake up early as well as refreshed and ready to go.one that will not interact with my daily morning dose of Concerta 27 mgs?

cokoo1
12-14-16, 08:22 PM
I have found melatonin helps me a lot. I take 3-5 mg at night when I'm ready to head to bed or a little while before. It usually takes effect within 30 mins or so and I sleep well throughout the whole night.

jkimbo
12-14-16, 08:56 PM
melatonin does nothing for me, wish it did. The very best is ambien, I get 6 hours with no hang over effect. Benzos will work too but I feel hung over. Every home remedy and natural alternative never worked for me. I should mention it has always been very hard for me to fall asleep and stay asleep.

WheresMyMind
12-15-16, 03:06 AM
Whats the best sleepaid supplament i can take at night that will not only help me get a good night sleep that will inturn help me wake up early as well as refreshed and ready to go.one that will not interact with my daily morning dose of Concerta 27 mgs?

Over 30+ years dealing with focus issues, I found that 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise - hard enough to make me breathe heavily and sweat - immediately after 5pm stopping of the work day - helped me sleep, then wake up refreshed, AND deal with the stresses of difficult people at work. Something about using up excess adrenaline, I think.

But still the dex helped too, just not with the same kinds of stuff.

HTH

WMM

sarahsweets
12-15-16, 05:13 AM
I take melatonin and chelated magnesium.

Jenn1202
12-15-16, 02:50 PM
Half a Benadryl worked very well for me back when I was taking it, but I wouldn't make it a long term solution. Melatonin also works but it doesn't seem to work nearly as well. These medications could potentially interact with you ADD meds, so you probably want to ask your doctor or pharmacist before you take them.

aeon
12-15-16, 02:58 PM
Trazodone

or

mirtazapine/Remeron

but

not both.

Cheers,
Ian

bluefoxicy
12-19-16, 01:19 PM

Supplements have limited effect.

The best two you can take are continuous-release Melatonin and a hacked-up GABA drug made out of kitchen spices. No, really.

Melatonin

A lot of CR melatonin (marked as "time-release") is biphase, meaning it releases a lot of melatonin early and then releases the rest slowly; or it contains a lot of B6, typically five to ten times the RDI. Be aware of these, and select appropriately--B6 is notably-toxic at high doses, and you might be more-sensitive than me (I can take 15 times the RDI fine). Some melatonins:

Naturol Time-Released Melatonin. 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, 10mg; biphasic; 8-hour; 10mg B6 (500%DV) per pill at all strengths.
Source Naturals Time-Released Melatonin. 1mg, 2mg, 3mg; monophasic; 6-hour; no B6.
Olympian Labs Time-Released Melatonin. Appears to be rebranded Naturol.
Puritan's Pride Bi-Layered Melatonin. Appears to be the same as Naturol.

Many of these contain unlabeled additives. Source Naturals lists 31mg Calcium (trivial); everything contains Magnesium Stearate, without listing Magnesium as a nutritional content.

Dosing Melatonin is a poorly-explored subject. In general, studies have shown that 2mg of 8hr continuous-release Melatonin works well and doesn't induce tolerance in elderly with insomnia. In my case, I adjust my regimen continuously; currently, it's:

2mg 6h at 7pm-8pm;
5mg 8h at 10pm;
Possibly 2mg 6h at 1am-3am or 1mg sublingual IR at WASO 1am-3am

That's along with 15mg Suvorexant and some other stuff at 10pm.

Lavender, Lemon Balm, Rosemary

Lavender and Lemon Balm both act as anxiolytics. On the market, you'll find three standardized supplements; I'll refer to these specifically because they're actually standardized, whereas raw supplements can fluctuate e.g. lemon balm may be 0.49%-2.8% RA and so one pill can have over six times as much of the RA drug as the next.

Silexan standardized Lavender Oil, 25%-40% of each of linalool and linalylic acid, 80mg. Example: CalmAid.
Cyracos standardized Lemon Balm extract, 7% Rosmarinic Acid, 300mg (21mg RA). Example: Vitacost Lemon Balm Extract.
Powder City standardized Rosemary extract, 20% Rosmarinic Acid (20mg RA in 100mg).

Lavender is a known anxiolytic with similar effectiveness against GAD to Lorazepam (Ativan). Aromatherapy is better-studied for insomnia, and lavender oil produces better results than almond oil as a reference regardless of whether the subject likes or dislikes the lavender scent.

Rosmarinic Acid is a GABA-Transaminase inhibitor (GTI). That's similar to Sodium Valproate, an anti-epilleptic drug.

It gets better.

At highly-toxic levels of 1,000mg/mL, linalool won't bind to GABA receptors. At all. If you administer a 50:50 mix of lavender oil and lemon balm oil at 1mg/mL, the Linalool will displace Rhoypnol (a benzodiapezine) from GABA-A receptors and bind there itself. That means the mixture gives Linalool well over a thousand times the affinity for the benzodiapezine receptor.

We're not entirely certain it's a benzodiapezine receptor agonist; people report the mixture is significantly relaxing, so it's at least not an anti-agonist, probably.

Rosmarinic Acid is also present in rosemary, hence the standardized rosemary extract. That might be a potential substitute for Lemon Balm.

Lavender is shown to reduce cognitive performance, while Lemon Balm enhances it. Thus it's completely reasonable (and has been studied to good results) to take 300mg of Cyracos standardized lemon balm extract twice per day, in the morning and before bed; while you should probably take Silexan before bed only.

So what's all this mean?

Essentially, taking a CalmAid and a VCLBE before bed acts something like a weak version of Sodium Valproate mixed with Phenobarbitol.

If you actually took Sodium Valproate with Phenobarbitol, the results would be incredible--and possibly fatal, or at least unpleasant. It would likely get you really, really high, at least. This particular mixture doesn't; it does seem to improve sleep predictably, as do the individual components.

Interesting considerations

Did you notice there's random stuff in your spice rack that might kind of behave like heavily-controlled prescription drugs?

A teaspoon of pure lavender oil will kill you. If you're wondering what that feels like but don't have any lavender oil, you could get exactly the same fatal effect by overdosing on a whole bottle of Valium. Please don't do either of these things.

Lavender doesn't have precisely the same mechanism of action as Valium, either; whereas Lemon Balm and Rosemary do, in fact, raise the level of GABA in your brain. You can get some prescription medication to do the same thing--try Tiagabine, a GABA Reuptake Inhibitor--although a few anti-epilleptic drugs are actually GTIs and do exactly what a hefty dose of Rosemary will do.

These are things I disclose to my doctor and psychiatrist. My doctor actually recommended CalmAid; I did some additional digging and engineered some further solutions. Mind you I control risk; part of that control means I can take larger risks, because I can identify the level of risk better and avoid really large risks. That means I do some risky **** and maybe you should be careful; on the other hand, typically when the Internet is full of thousands of people claiming they inhaled off a bottle of some kind of spices and it didn't kill them, it's a good sign it at least won't kill you--but the Internet is also full of people who use Rolaids to boost Amphetamine so they can get high, so not all advice is good advice.

Anyway it amuses me.