View Full Version : 4 years sober

sarahsweets
12-15-16, 05:49 AM
December 13, I celebrated 4 years of continuous sobriety. Anyone who remembers me here from way back- and the combative, erratic posts- or the posts with so much gobbly gook in them with tons of errors that I made no sense would agree that I am not the same person anymore.

I have always been a good person I think, but the alcohol did not allow for that to show. I am present now. I suffered horrible, terrible, life threatening withdrawals when I stopped.[anyone who has an issue with alcohol and wants to stop, pm me please! The way I did it could have killed me] Through the urging of a few friends I got honest, told on myself that I had relapsed and life hasnt been the same since.
Things are so tough now, I cant even explain how tough they are- but I am sober and have woven that into my life no matter what.

I have managed to hang on despite setbacks. I would love to say its easy, but its also not impossible.

Thank you to all of you for putting up with me, then and now. Thank you for the support and care. Thank you for keeping me humble. Thank you for reminding me that the world doesnt revolve around me, and that I am not always right.

Thank you for showing me that my way isnt the best way- that looking at all angles makes a person whole.
Trip-the-light-fantastic! What a wild ride its been.
XXXOOO

namazu
12-15-16, 06:02 AM
:yes:

Go....be proud of yourself. :D

Hermus
12-15-16, 01:38 PM
Great, Sarah. Congratulations.

You have certainly be giving back to others through your recovery. I didn't realize it at the time and might at times have been rude and snappy, but your advises have been so valuable to me. :)

So I'd like to thank you for the advise you gave to me before I went to rehab. You are great, Sarah! I'm now 74 days sober and really will work to get at the same point where you are now. :)

Unmanagable
12-15-16, 01:45 PM
Rock on with your strong and loving self!! :D You enrich this space in many ways and I'm grateful for crossing your path. Now go celebrate and nurture self every chance you get.

aeon
12-15-16, 02:34 PM
May the number rise ever higher.

BlessÚd Be,
Ian

ToneTone
12-16-16, 12:16 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Major major major major achievement and gift to yourself and to your family and to the world.

Tone

ginniebean
12-16-16, 12:59 AM
Congrarulations my friend

sarahsweets
12-16-16, 04:20 AM
Great, Sarah. Congratulations.

You have certainly be giving back to others through your recovery. I didn't realize it at the time and might at times have been rude and snappy, but your advises have been so valuable to me. :)

So I'd like to thank you for the advise you gave to me before I went to rehab. You are great, Sarah! I'm now 74 days sober and really will work to get at the same point where you are now. :)

Thats really sweet and I am super proud of you.

peripatetic
12-16-16, 06:09 AM
this onward is supposed to be in the four years sober thread:

i hear you on being online and unwell or intoxicated and incoherent. well, it's similar. but, you know we've seen a lot of things happen and people come and go and you've been there for me at times i was incapable of being there for myself. you're (and sincerely tried to put positive things into the forums...a supportive and intelligent person who had a bumpy start. i assure you, or you might even be well aware, there're plenty (hundreds, for sure) of my posts i don't want people digging up where i'm out of my head :eek: or just straight word salad or akathisia related fidgeting so all botched typing... i didn't realize the intoxication was the cause for a long time. maybe not until told. but didn't suspect that because i get having those *****ed out, illegible posts ...incomprehensible...or outlandish. i get that ;)

but regrettable posts aside, you held yourself accountable in taking those first steps and that was an act of considerable bravery. and being that brave outweighs whatever many or not so many (or actually pretty hilarious) posts that came before you asserted yourself so courageously and came clean and trusted your support system would be there. with respect to my brother in law...i've been told that he has to take responsibility for what how alcoholism costs him and and he needed to want to get sober and be willing to work at it possibly all of the time forever. and you took all of those leaps yourself. you nailed it. and that's a really big life lesson and also one that you were making happen or sustaining at every step of the way. that tenacity and passion serves you well.

i'm so proud to have you as my friend and so proud of the person you worked so hard to become. you're a good egg. xx