View Full Version : Taking Adderall for 2 years, feeling burnt out.

IgnatzKat
12-16-16, 11:03 AM
So this is kinda funny...I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) a few years back and was prescribed adderall for the brain fog and fatigue. I was googling for info about adderall and came across this forum and eventually ended up reading a list of ADD symptoms. My gosh it was like reading my personality profile.

Lupus and ADD - no wonder I can't get anything done. Lol..

I see my Dr next month and will discuss it with him but in the meantime I was hoping for advice on long term adderall use. I am currently prescribed 40mg/day (2x20mg IR) adderall. I actually usually take 30mg unless I'm really dragging or have some important deadline. I've been taking it for ~2 years.

It has worked well for the most part. I was struggling and falling behind at work and it helped turn that around. However recently I find it's less and less effective. In fact there are times when I take half a pill (10mg) and feel like I could take a nap.

Any advice about this? I take supplements including magnesium(chelated). Fish oil, multi-vit.

thanks.

sarahsweets
12-16-16, 12:24 PM
Well taking half a dose wouldnt work as well as your full dose which might explain the need for a nap. And people can really under-value the importance of a good bedtime routine and sleep hygeine. If being sleepiness is an issue I would explore your eating and sleeping habits first. I have been on amphetamines for over 15 years. I have only had to increase the dose once or twice but I have physical absorption issues that make medication work differently for me.
I dont think you should be afraid of needing a dose change, after years on any medicine it just makes sense that you would have to at one time or another change up the med or dose. Have you considered dexedrine? Some people do better on this than adderall.

Little Nut
12-16-16, 03:32 PM
Don't know anything about lupus, but you may want to talk to your Doc and make sure nothing else may be causing you or the Adderall to poop out (Depression, stress, life change, some other condition??) before switching meds.

IgnatzKat
12-18-16, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

@sarahs what is the main different between dexedrine and adderall? About the adderall: Considering that I'm prescribed 40mg and usually limit myself to 30mg, is 30mg considered a high dose? The other day I took the whole 40mg dose and I had a productive day which made me think that I'm simply not taking enough but I'm concerned about having my tolerance build.

@littlenut I have a fairly healthy lifestyle and work and live are the same for the most part. But it could very well be the lupus.

sarahsweets
12-19-16, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

@sarahs what is the main different between dexedrine and adderall? About the adderall: Considering that I'm prescribed 40mg and usually limit myself to 30mg, is 30mg considered a high dose? The other day I took the whole 40mg dose and I had a productive day which made me think that I'm simply not taking enough but I'm concerned about having my tolerance build.

Addeall and dex are both amphetamines but adderall contains levoamphetamine which can cause excess PNS stimulation but is often what gives adderall that kicks.Dex is plain amphetaminen but is still good.If 40 is your dose was it prescribed once a day? I have found that breaking up the doses over the whole day helps it to last longer and be consistent.

Miscon
12-21-16, 10:13 PM
Well taking half a dose wouldnt work as well as your full dose which might explain the need for a nap. And people can really under-value the importance of a good bedtime routine and sleep hygeine. If being sleepiness is an issue I would explore your eating and sleeping habits first. I have been on amphetamines for over 15 years. I have only had to increase the dose once or twice but I have physical absorption issues that make medication work differently for me.
I dont think you should be afraid of needing a dose change, after years on any medicine it just makes sense that you would have to at one time or another change up the med or dose. Have you considered dexedrine? Some people do better on this than adderall.

Sarah does dexedrine allow you to hold onto a thought longer? adderall is **** for me, keep loosing train of thought and its ******* me off

sarahsweets
12-22-16, 05:17 AM
Sarah does dexedrine allow you to hold onto a thought longer? adderall is **** for me, keep loosing train of thought and its ******* me off

Im not sure I understand can you elaborate?

jkimbo
12-22-16, 02:02 PM

I think I understand what your asking. Basically your saying adderall isn't working as well as you expected and you still have trouble following your train of thought on it and are asking if dexidrine would be better for your concentration and attention span? If so, I know nothing about dexedrine and will let some one more knowledgeable on that reply to you.

sarahsweets
12-23-16, 05:38 AM
I think I understand what your asking. Basically your saying adderall isn't working as well as you expected and you still have trouble following your train of thought on it and are asking if dexidrine would be better for your concentration and attention span? If so, I know nothing about dexedrine and will let some one more knowledgeable on that reply to you.

If this is what you mean Miscon then I guess I would say they both work on concentration but adderall tends to bother some people due to the levoamphetamine in it. This can lead to side effects like excess PNS stimulation. Dex does not contain that so some people do better on dex. I am on both.