View Full Version : Concerned

Kaori1215
12-16-16, 02:29 PM
I am 58 years old just diagnosed. I have been told all my life that I just suffer from depression and have been on many antidepressants since about 20 years old. I recently lost my dad and was named executor of his estate and I pretty much lost it. I have been researching my symptoms and told my doctor that I think I have been misdiagnosed all my life and she sent me to be tested and finally I feel I have a chance to get better. She started me on straterra because I am an addict, it made me horribly sick. I just tried a 20mg of vyvance and this is just my second day. I feel great but am a little concerned because it is a stimulant and I am an addict. Should I worry about this? I really have no desire to use but I know me. I just want to be able to mange my life it is totally unmanageable. I do not know how I am suppose to take care of dad's place when I cannot even take care of my own affairs.

ginniebean
12-16-16, 03:46 PM
According to research therapeutic doses lead to less instances of addiction problems in those with adhd.

sarahsweets
12-17-16, 10:18 PM
I am 58 years old just diagnosed. I have been told all my life that I just suffer from depression and have been on many antidepressants since about 20 years old. I recently lost my dad and was named executor of his estate and I pretty much lost it. I have been researching my symptoms and told my doctor that I think I have been misdiagnosed all my life and she sent me to be tested and finally I feel I have a chance to get better. She started me on straterra because I am an addict, it made me horribly sick. I just tried a 20mg of vyvance and this is just my second day. I feel great but am a little concerned because it is a stimulant and I am an addict. Should I worry about this? I really have no desire to use but I know me. I just want to be able to mange my life it is totally unmanageable. I do not know how I am suppose to take care of dad's place when I cannot even take care of my own affairs.

I am a recovering alcoholic and Ive been on stimulants for like 15 years. Without my meds I am 100% sure I would have relapsed already.

aeon
12-17-16, 10:25 PM
I've been sober (poly-drug abuser) for 15+ years, been taking psychostimulants for 6+ years (since my diagnosis), I take my meds as prescribed, and have never experienced the desire to do otherwise.

Cheers,
Ian

jkimbo
12-17-16, 10:31 PM
I have done my share of drug and alcohol abuse. I am 61. I been on benzo's since 1987. Never abused them. Most benzos never gave me any euphoria any way. I was also concerned too about adderall because I was in to cocaine big time in the 80's and again in the 90's. But after I experienced the improvement in my focus and concentration, and no more social anxiety either, there is no way I would mess this up. I rely on adderall for my job.

It's like some one turned on the lights for me and now I can see. No way do I want to lose this benefit. I know lots of people think once a substance abuser always a substance abuser, but the difference I feel is this med is my life line, just like benzos are. It's hard to explain. When you know you need something really bad, you take better care of it I guess.

It's good your concerned! It will make you think twice :)

C15H25N3O
12-17-16, 11:13 PM
Sugar is not healthy but addictive.

Vyvanse has better effects than sugar but is similar addictive like sugar.

Real addicts dont look for sugar or vyvanse.

Kaori1215
12-18-16, 03:19 PM
Thank you all for your input. I am excited and have hope now where there was none.

Little Nut
12-19-16, 10:07 AM
If you are addicted to amphetamines, imo you should be concerned taking Vyvanse. (For clarification, my opinion is an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink for 20 years is still an alcoholic.) OTOH if your addiction was not related to amphetamines, it should be less concerning.

C15H25N3O
12-19-16, 10:42 AM
I believe Vyvanse can be prescribed to former amphetamine addicts if they can control the intake because it is weak and subtle but not kickin in and strong. If someone abuses it (s)he would abuse any other stimulant too.

Hermus
12-19-16, 02:22 PM
The last few months I have spent in rehab. When there I got my ADD medication prescribed and it wasn't seen as problematic. In fact, as Sarah says, I feel it helps me to stay sober. However, a friend of mine also is an addict and has a past of amphetamine abuse. She was taken off her medication, because of the risk of abuse. I think there is no clear cut answer here. For some they might work, for others there might be a risk of abuse. I would advise you to discuss this with your doctor.

Meteodan
12-27-16, 11:15 AM
I've been on Vyvanse for 2+ years now, and have not once experienced a desire to take more than prescribed. By itself, just because it's an amphetamine doesn't mean one has a greater chance of becoming addicted.