View Full Version : Congrats Hermus on 70+ days of sobriety!

sarahsweets
12-18-16, 06:11 AM
I always had faith you could do it! You will inspire others and your experiences will help other sufferers in the days to come.
keep it up.
Keep that chin up!

midnightstar
12-18-16, 06:24 AM
Congrats, Hermus :grouphug: you have done so well, I am so proud of you :grouphug:

Abi
12-18-16, 03:03 PM
Congratulations man.

Respect!

Fuzzy12
12-18-16, 04:25 PM
Congrats!!!

It's good to have you back.:grouphug:

mctavish23
12-18-16, 11:11 PM
Ditto

Hermus
12-19-16, 07:03 AM
Thank you all so much for the support. I appreciate it.

For a long time I had been worrying about my drinking behaviour that was clearly out of control. Already at the age of 14 I drank heavily and got drunk almost every weekend. The first major crisis already happened 9-10 years ago, when my girlfriend broke up with me and I decided to quit my law study. The following years were characterized by periods in which I more or less had the impression my drinking was under control, alternated by periods of drinking heavily.

During my master study my drinking got heavier again. Above that I also used to do uppers regularly (mainly amphetamines). Sometimes when I had to finish a paper in the evenings I would drink a bottle of wine and after getting tired snort a line of meth or used ritalin, which at the time I didn't use on doctor's prescription yet.

About a year ago things also changed in my love life. For years I had been single and had the believe that I was unattractive and that nobody wanted me. This reinforced my low self-image and I was quite desperate about being single. Then last year I started using dating sites again and I had a one night stand with a woman. Afterwards I started dating more and more and obsessing about women. A few short and highly destructive relationships followed. The destructive relationships led to my drinking getting even more out of control.

Last summer it all really spiralled out of control with me and my ex having a destructive relationship in which heavy alcohol consumption played a major role. My worries about it increased, yet I didn't fully see myself as an alcoholic at the time.

After the destructive relationship ended I decided to seek help with a psychologist for past traumas, my low self-image and relationships not working out. After a first interview I came back and was told that I needed to do something about my drinking problem. I was referred to an institution for addiction treatment. At first I was very defensive and in denial, yet I took up contact with the institution.

When I had my intake a few weeks later things all of a sudden went very quickly. I was adviced to get rehab treatment in South Africa. At first I was shocked, but two and a half weeks later I was on the plane.

In South Africa I had a difficult time. I had to accept I was an addict and had to work on the things I always pushed aside by addictive behaviour. The relationship with my parents went very sour for a while. Moreover, I found out that I have a love addiction.

Last Monday I got back and the first few days I felt like I was in heaven. I was staying with my parents and everything went very well, despite having a lot of cravings. During the weekend I decided to stay with a friend in my own town. I saw a lot of old friends and met some people from rehab on Sunday. Despite it being a great time at the end of the weekend I noticed that I overloaded myself by wanting to do so much. I was close to relapsing in my love addiction, which made it even more difficult.

Despite the difficult weekend I managed to stay sober (77 days right now). Today I'm taking some rest to restore my energy levels and I'm hopeful about my recovery. :)

Hermus
03-18-17, 12:51 PM
166 already today! :)

Hope I didn't disappoint you by my sometimes unruly behaviour in early recovery, Sarah!

willow129
03-18-17, 03:15 PM
http://www.lifeofthepartystore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/bigstock-Flying-balloons-isolated-on-wh-16099172-683x1024.jpg

Congratulations Balloons for Hermus!!!

:D :D Good job!!!

namazu
03-18-17, 04:19 PM
Way to go! Keep up the good work!

Luvmybully
03-18-17, 04:56 PM
Awesome! Congratulations!

Hermus
03-18-17, 07:02 PM
http://www.lifeofthepartystore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/bigstock-Flying-balloons-isolated-on-wh-16099172-683x1024.jpg

Congratulations Balloons for Hermus!!!

:D :D Good job!!!

It's not really a milestone, 166 days. Just wanted to give an update in this thread. ;)

midnightstar
03-18-17, 07:04 PM
Hermus still deserves congrats :D :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
03-18-17, 07:34 PM
Congrats again!!!!!! You are doing it!!!

Hermus
04-03-17, 12:51 AM
6 months today :yes::yes::yes::cool::cool::cool::yes::yes::yes:

finallyfound10
04-03-17, 01:35 AM
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: :goodpost:

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Fuzzy12
04-03-17, 05:21 AM
6 months today :yes::yes::yes::cool::cool::cool::yes::yes::yes:

Had it been 6 months already??

Congratulations!! :yes::grouphug:

sarahsweets
04-03-17, 06:02 AM
Youre doing great one day at a time Hermus!

Hermus
04-03-17, 09:42 AM
Had it been 6 months already??

Congratulations!! :yes::grouphug:

To me it seems like it was only yesterday I got sober...

Fuzzy12
04-03-17, 11:52 AM
To me it seems like it was only yesterday I got sober...

To me as well!! I mean I can still vividly remember when you were wondering first if you have a problem and then if you should go to.rehab. you've really come a long way. Congrats!!

Hermus
04-03-17, 01:18 PM
To me as well!! I mean I can still vividly remember when you were wondering first if you have a problem and then if you should go to.rehab. you've really come a long way. Congrats!!

After that I quite quickly admitted I was an addict, but that proved something totally different from accepting it. Two weeks in rehab I started telling people that I didn't belong there and that I wasn't an addict. It was only after speaking about my doubts that I actually started to accept my addiction. At the moment I'm still very much in this phase of acceptance with regard to sex and love addiction and overeating. I don't give in to those addictions, but I still have a lot of reserves in the back of my mind.

Accepting addiction and then recovering is something most people don't do in one day. Like they say in NA: "We didn't become addicted in one day. So remember: easy does it."

midnightstar
04-03-17, 01:44 PM
(((((Hermus))))) congrats :grouphug: :D

stef
04-03-17, 02:28 PM
Congratulations :)

dormammau2008
04-03-17, 09:48 PM
yes that's aa big achvement you have done well