View Full Version : Lexapro to Zoloft

cokoo1
12-24-16, 10:13 PM
Was on 10 mg of lexapro for my generalized anxiety and then upped to 20mg after a month. Kept on that 20 mg for another month-month and half at which point I met with my psych again. After mentioning to her that the lexapro had helped stabilize my mood, it wasn't really doing anything for my anxiety or more specifically, social anxiety. She told me to keep taking my lexapro as 10mg a day until I run out and switched me to/started me on zoloft. According to her zoloft is better for social anxiety. So I've been on the sertraline/zoloft for about a week or so now and haven't really experienced ANY changes. Have any of you done a similar switch or taken zoloft at all? How long does it generally take to start noticing changes from the medication keeping in mind that I was already on a different SSRI.

someothertime
12-25-16, 12:08 AM
from 5 ( a tad ) to 10 ( some response ) to 30 days ( full response ) would be realistic.

cokoo1
12-25-16, 01:20 AM
Good to know! I'll have to be extra mindful of any effects during those times

sarahsweets
12-27-16, 07:14 AM
See I have heard just the opposite. I have been told by multiple doctors that lexapro does a better job at managing anxiety and depression. Both my girls had life or death psychiatric treatment and both had started lexapro inpatient and its been a dramatic positive.

cokoo1
12-28-16, 06:55 PM
See I have heard just the opposite. I have been told by multiple doctors that lexapro does a better job at managing anxiety and depression. Both my girls had life or death psychiatric treatment and both had started lexapro inpatient and its been a dramatic positive.
In hindsight, the lexapro did help with some of the anxiety but it also made me a little foggier which in turn made the ADHD worse and adderall less effective.

So far on day 11 of the sertraline/zoloft and I have been an absolute neurotic mess the past couple of days. Overall anxiety has gotten worse and even a few attacks here and there. Mood is all over the place. Had trichotillomania several years ago but that went away on its own after a while, but this week that too has returned with full force. If all of that wasn't enough, my adderall dose today is even causing lots of irrational anger.

Based on everyone else's experience on the sertraline/zoloft it seems this sort of crazy side effects are quite common and lead to a lot of people immediately stopping the medication. BUT on the other hand anyone who managed to fight through the beginning seems to be 10x better after a few weeks.

So gonna keep at it and hopefully these side effects go away soon (BEFORE I become bald from pulling all my hair out).

someothertime
12-29-16, 07:01 PM
Well done on being informed and courageous... Might want to run these side effects via your presciber though as a precaution / duty.

aeon
12-29-16, 07:21 PM
Tried escitalopram/Lexapro...caused me to gag repeatedly...I didn’t last 72 hours because I was unable to eat.

Tried sertraline/Zoloft...made me so spacey that I missed the turn for work three times in a row. Scary...it made my mind wander 10x more than my ADHD ever had.

Both of those meds are now on the “do not prescribe/dispense” area of my hardcopy Dex prescription.

There wasn’t going to be any “working through the side-effects” with those two.

Cheers,
Ian

AddAnxiousMe
12-30-16, 02:33 AM
I have been on all of the SSRIs and Celexa, with it's sister, Lexapro, were the least effective. In fact, I actually felt more depressed. And not to scare anyone about Zoloft, but I was on that for two years and did okay, but when I went in for some blood work, they found my triglycerides in the 900s! I have always had cholesterol problems, but when I switched from Zoloft to Prozac, my triglycerides came down in to the low 400s. Still high, but way better.

Not all docs know about it, and you should be aware of it. You don't want to be on something for years and then find out it kept your triglycerides up all that time.

I mainly switched around from Prozac to Paxil, whenever one or the other pooped out, which is not uncommon. That's why I tried Celexa and Lexapro; because the others didn't work anymore. It wasn't until I went to an SNRI, Effexor, that things got better. I did try going back to Prozac a couple of times, but it just doesn't work anymore.

After years on the SSRIs, I felt like a zombie. I think the fact that it only affects serotonin has something to do with it. I heard that long periods of blocking serotonin uptake can lower dopamine and other neurotransmitter levels. I think that's why they're supposedly working on triple reuptake inhibitors, ones that work on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. I guess they figure the more neurotransmitters they hit, the less likely an imbalance can occur.

Anyway, don't forget the SNRIs if the SSRIs aren't helping you.

Take care:).

grot86
08-18-17, 10:29 AM
I have gone from Sertraline (Zoloft) to Lexapro.
Other than some lightheadedness when moving, a headache for the first few days, the first day was the worst, but then in got better, and a little nausea, I'm on day 4, with no significant complaints from the direct switch. I do still have the tremor when I wake up in the morning, but I can feel that it is slowly diminishing in intensity since being off of the Sertraline. The effects are manageable, and I've actually been sleeping through the night since discontinuing the Sertraline and going to the Lexapro. It still takes me about an hour to get to sleep once I'm in bed, but I'm averaging about 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep, as opposed to waking up every few hours on the sertraline and not being able to get back to sleep.
I do feel tired throughout the day, and sometimes a little bit like a brain fog, but it could be withdrawl from the sertraline mixed with start up of the Lexapro, but its not unbearable.
I'm still in the early phase of the switch, and I was expecting much worse.