View Full Version : What would you do if ADD meds were not allowed to be used anymore.

john2100
12-25-16, 12:43 PM
What would be your solution if ADD meds were stopped being sold as of tomorrow. You would be promised only 3 month supply and that is all.
No new patients would be allowed to be prescribed ADD meds.
The old ones would get only 3 month supply and that is all.

It is of course just a hypothetical situation , but in an highly unlikely event , what would be your solution? Supplements, therapy ?

Unmanagable
12-25-16, 12:59 PM
I'd do the same things I've been doing since I learned my body doesn't work well with meds (adhd isn't the only issue I'm addressing through these means, and I'm fortunate to live in an area that supports bartering):

NeurOptimal neurofeedback

Acupuncture

Chiropractor

Talk Therapy when most needed

Purposeful Daily Breathing Techniques

Purposeful Daily Movement - hula hoop, mini-trampoline, dancing, walking

Mindful Eating and Drinking daily via eliminating all animal products, caffeine, highly processed food-like substances, and alcohol (the positive effects of this alone blows my mind, still) - supplementing with D3, B12, zinc and other supportive herbs and minerals when necessary

Time Spent Outdoors Each Day

Flipping My Usual Negativity Script - especially in the self-talk arena

Iridology Assessment

Massage Therapy monthly

Sound Resonance via Tibetan singing bowls and gongs and such

Frequent Hot Salt Baths w/Other Herbs Added

Making Time and Space for Purposeful Alone Time Daily

Purposely Sharing Space with Others Who Raise My Vibrations

Serving Others - but only when my own love cup has been filled by self first, otherwise, it starts another tsunami of ill feelings

aeon
12-25-16, 01:58 PM
I'd just go back to what I did for the first 41 years.

No grand strategies...just endless daydreaming and dissociation punctuated with moments fueled by caffeine and fear.

I suppose with the addition of a bit of vaped nicotine.

I'd get by...I always did, in my charming, shambolic way. :doh:

Cheers,
Ian

stef
12-25-16, 02:55 PM
Im not diagosd so, caffeine nicotine and lists :yes:

Little Nut
12-25-16, 03:05 PM
Just ADD meds banned or meds for all mental conditions. A lot of overlap between mental conditions (and non mental) and associated pharmacology. Depression and Parkinson's off the top of my head. (Yeah I'm talking about non ADHD meds to treat ADHD symptoms).

Barring that I'd go back to "toughing it out" initially and stay abreast of the medicine.

Let me ask, what is your point of the hypothetical?

stef
12-25-16, 03:07 PM
Chocolates :)

john2100
12-25-16, 03:10 PM
Just ADD meds banned or meds for all mental conditions. A lot of overlap between mental conditions (and non mental) and associated pharmacology. Depression and Parkinson's off the top of my head. (Yeah I'm talking about non ADHD meds to treat ADHD symptoms).

Barring that I'd go back to "toughing it out" initially and stay abreast of the medicine.

Let me ask, what is your point of the hypothetical?

When humanity is challenged with a problem a solution will come due to survival mode and ingenuity. Creating a hypothetical scenario doesn't really make people to act, but it may get people thinking. I 'm curious what solutions or strategies would people use.

Little Nut
12-25-16, 03:25 PM
Thx John, I was just curious whether you viewed ADHD meds as a problem or a solution. -LN

Little Missy
12-25-16, 03:31 PM
Coffee, nicotine, chocolate and...:D

stef
12-25-16, 03:33 PM
Sorry posted " chocolates" in wrong thread....
It's what i was eating

Little Missy
12-25-16, 03:34 PM
Sorry posted chocolates in wrong thread....

No, you didn't. Did you?

john2100
12-25-16, 03:42 PM
Thx John, I was just curious whether you viewed ADHD meds as a problem or a solution. -LN

Certainly solution ,but not a perfect one.

Little Missy
12-25-16, 06:25 PM
Suddenly everyone is overdrawn, utilities shut off, personal hygiene hits the skids, making up their own, if any, schedules at work.

Cars are no longer taken care of and bicycles become popular again but, alas!, even bikes need maintenance...hitchhiking, papers strewn about, phones are but a memory, who will wash the laundry?

someothertime
12-25-16, 09:16 PM
John,

For the past few months i've been grappling with exactly this. Circumstance has meant I have to go unmedicated for a while/ever.

At first I was shattered.... felt dispair..... Then it occurred to me most of my life being unmedicated and "coping" .... It occured to me that without stopping medication ( which was always conveyed as a temporary thing anyway ), I would never know what the future holds ( medium / long term pshyche changes ).....

Now, i'm still struggling with the day to day, but I believe I do see a path forward where I can exist semi amicably ( self comfortably ) in the world without medication. If I had a demanding job or alike when this happened the implications are much more severe etc......

In answer to your question, one would have to dedicate much of ones ethic and daily routine to self care..... Sleep. diet excer.... etc. etc.

Whollistically, I believe ones true needs are much easier to surface while off meds..... ( in my case anyway ).... it's persuing them that's the challenge.... On meds... one might have a tendency to overspend efforts / time on sideroads.... Which is good..... in moderation ;)

GoalieMel33
12-26-16, 10:57 AM
I would try to cope with the difficulties the best I could (focusing on what I can control), with the many tools (organization strategies (alarms, apps, to-do lists, dividing my work into small parts, creating a distraction-free area...), healthy lifestyle, etc) that I've learned through the years.

I don't rely only on medication to deal with ADHD, actually I spent most of my life (although struggling and managing poorly) unmedicated so I'm no stranger to that.

I tried various supplements in the past and they didn't work for me and I'm not sure how I would benefit from therapy (other than with coaching, which I wouldn't need anyway). So I would just continue exercising, keep good sleep habits, and probably self-medicate with caffeine sometimes.

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 11:18 AM
I would be doing what i'm doing right now. Avoiding anything that I should be doing right now and wasting away hours trying to figure out why I don't just go and do it.

Pilgrim
12-26-16, 02:44 PM
I would pray more, live in hope more. Exercise and mental strength. I would probably become stronger mentally, and a nervous wreck.

I've thought of this scenario many times. I would be more fearful. Life might be simpler.

Don't take away my morning coffee? Pls

aeon
12-26-16, 03:56 PM
Don't take away my morning coffee? Pls

No problem, as a matter of fact, let me brew you a nice cuppa joe.

Or two,
Ian

sarahsweets
12-27-16, 06:39 AM
What do you mean by 'not allowed'? Do you mean like if they were not legal? Not deemed safe? Banned by the government? I suppose If they were banned or not allowed after years of them being allowed and having had them, I would be pretty devastated. I would be upset because I would have gotten a taste of what life could be like, and then like a cow p*ssing on a flat rock, I would be a mess- depressed, scattered, and truly a danger on the road.

kilted_scotsman
12-28-16, 07:28 AM
Having access to meds withdrawn might seem far fetched.....

but as the cohort of young people who've grown up with meds reach middle age inevitably many on stimulants will find that medical issues such as cardio problems mean they have to stop taking meds as their Dr's are no longer willing to take the risk of prescribing.

Because mental health services are chronically underfunded, and non-pharma ones even more so this cohort may have significant issues accessing the support they will need to cope with the transition.

Use the time when meds are available to put in place coping strategies for their possible disappearance.....

The act of doing this will bring home how important it is to develop a supportive network of friends, family and work colleagues.... because there are very few other support systems out there.....

In that way, being diagnosed, and obtaining meds is the first step to becoming more aware of the inequalities around us..... and maybe becoming more active in addressing them.

Address the issues now, while meds are available...... because of they're not addressed now, they'll bite us on the ***** in decades to come.

Alaskamoose
01-08-17, 02:17 PM
Chocolates :)
That's funny Stef lol