View Full Version : dopamine equivalent , meds vs suplemts

john2100
12-25-16, 01:24 PM
Is there any research that would show how much dopamine is in our brain when on adderall and how much when using certain foods,exercising, doing pleasurable things.

Could we possible replicate 5mg IR of adderall by natural means?

aeon
12-25-16, 02:00 PM

The science as we know it says no, and the science on this is wide, deep, and detailed.

Cheers,
Ian

john2100
12-25-16, 02:22 PM
Sometimes when my day goes right, I 'd swear I feel like I was on adderall.
You know the day, when everything goes right.

I would swear I had 5 or 10 mg of adderal in me.

Wouldn't it mean that I have replicated that feeling without drugs? And possibly have the same level of dopamine or it may not be dopamine related at all?

sarahsweets
12-25-16, 02:24 PM
The science as we know it says no, and the science on this is wide, deep, and detailed.

Cheers,
Ian

I thought of the wrong thing when I read this. It gave me a chuckle. ;)

EuropeanADHD
12-31-16, 02:58 PM
Is there any research that would show how much dopamine is in our brain when on adderall and how much when using certain foods,exercising, doing pleasurable things.

I used to use caffeine (coffee and pepsi), like really a lot of it.

Some materials on the web say caffeine actually increases the amount of dopamine in your brain. Also, the strange relationship of many ADD people with caffeine has been widely known.

Also, dopamine gets released in some situations. So you can increase its amount by for example gamifying what you're doing, dividing it into small parts, etc.

EuropeanADHD
12-31-16, 03:01 PM
Sometimes when my day goes right, I 'd swear I feel like I was on adderall.
You know the day, when everything goes right.

I would swear I had 5 or 10 mg of adderal in me.

Wouldn't it mean that I have replicated that feeling without drugs? And possibly have the same level of dopamine or it may not be dopamine related at all?

Of course it does. Dopamine is a natural neurotransmitter, it's also there when you don't take ADD drugs. Its amount changes according to what you're doing, feeling, eating, etc. Also, if you're a woman, in the course of your menstruation cycle.

Fraser_0762
12-31-16, 04:18 PM
Probably not. But i'd make the point that it's not all about dopamine deficiency. There are other factors that can cause neurological issues. Such as low blood flow to the brain. There are a wide range of suppliments that aid the brain in different ways and almost all of them effect neurological functioning in some way.

I've been taking Ginkgo Biloba suppliments for the past several weeks. They have no effect on dopamine, but they do help to increase overall blood flow to the brain. I've felt considerably better since taking them. They're not a cure by any means, but they have certainly had some beneficial effects to the overall functioning of my neurological system.

Fraser_0762
12-31-16, 04:23 PM
I used to use caffeine (coffee and pepsi), like really a lot of it.

Some materials on the web say caffeine actually increases the amount of dopamine in your brain. Also, the strange relationship of many ADD people with caffeine has been widely known.

Also, dopamine gets released in some situations. So you can increase its amount by for example gamifying what you're doing, dividing it into small parts, etc.

Caffeine binds itself to the adenosine receptors, preventing adenosine (a chemical responsible for slowing down neural activity in the pathways) from binding to them. Thus neural activity speeds up. Faster neural activity has an indirect effect on the release of dopamine.

dvdnvwls
12-31-16, 09:41 PM
Saying "I need to increase my dopamine levels" is a simplistic and misguided idea. A lot like going to a mechanic and asking to have a turbocharger installed, on an engine that won't even run. Instead of mistakenly asking for turbo, ask the mechanic to make the car run better, and let the mechanic (the one with the detailed knowledge and the experience) determine the best ways of doing that.

In other words, trust your doctor. If you don't have a doctor worth trusting, make a change.

They say "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" - well, not in this case. This time it's just "A little knowledge isn't worth much".

sarahsweets
01-01-17, 10:17 AM
Nothing against the OP or anyone else but it gets my panties in a twist when I hear people basically take a disorder with so many known and unknown causes and treatments and reduce it to lack of or too much of dopamine or other neurotransmitters.

john2100
01-01-17, 12:07 PM
Nothing against the OP or anyone else but it gets my panties in a twist when I hear people basically take a disorder with so many known and unknown causes and treatments and reduce it to lack of or too much of dopamine or other neurotransmitters.

I didn't mean to cause you discomfort even metaphorically, but if adderal helps with dopamine , then anything else that can help with dopamine should help too, no?

If there was a newly discovered fruit, that works like amphetamines, wouldn't it mean that it was helping the same way like amphetamines do ?

No one is saying say fixing dopamine fixes ADHD .

POST NAME: dopamine equivalent , meds vs suplemts

dvdnvwls
01-01-17, 12:15 PM
I didn't mean to cause you discomfort even metaphorically, but if adderal helps with dopamine , then anything else that can help with dopamine should help too, no?

If there was a newly discovered fruit, that works like amphetamines, wouldn't it mean that it was helping the same way like amphetamines do ?

No one is saying say fixing dopamine fixes ADHD .

POST NAME: dopamine equivalent , meds vs suplemts
Adderall doesn't help with dopamine. Adderall helps with ADHD. That was where your error was.

EuropeanADHD
01-01-17, 01:57 PM

To be honest I have it the other way round :)

It's true that the causes of ADD are not known, i.e. it's not clear whether ADD is caused by genetics, environments, or both.

However, the current state of research says ADD is related to neurotransmitters and dopamine. How it's related, that's a complex issue, of course. But ADD meds play with neurotransmitter levels and they work for plenty of ADD people. The research on food and neurotransmitters is not conclusive as far as I know - I spent weeks reading about it in fact. However, coffeine seems to have some impact on dopamine, in my case it helps at times.

BTW, my doctor told me openly, if ADD meds (i.e. meds impacting the level of neurotransmitters) don't help me after testing different meds and doses I don't have ADD. ADD has been mistaken for so many different disorders/ health problems.

BTW2, I used to self-medicate with pepsi/ cola light (without sugar) years before I got a diagnosis and years before I even got to know what ADHD is. I used to drink a liter, even 2 liters a day. I could focus better with it and could never tell why. Also, nobody among my family and friend drinks it :) I've been trying to cut it down for years - for health reasons - and have been successful in that, but given that I currently don't take meds, or take them only on rare occasions, if I want to concentrate, buying this awful drink is still the way for me to go.

sarahsweets
01-02-17, 09:15 AM
BTW, my doctor told me openly, if ADD meds (i.e. meds impacting the level of neurotransmitters) don't help me after testing different meds and doses I don't have ADD. ADD has been mistaken for so many different disorders/ health problems.
Then I would question if this was the right doctor for you. If someone doesnt respond to antidepressants would he say they dont have depression then? Its the same with adhd. Most people respond, but not all. My one daughter has never been able to tolerate stimulants-but she for sure has adhd.

EuropeanADHD
01-02-17, 11:40 AM
Then I would question if this was the right doctor for you. If someone doesnt respond to antidepressants would he say they dont have depression then? Its the same with adhd. Most people respond, but not all. My one daughter has never been able to tolerate stimulants-but she for sure has adhd.

Actually, he was excellent.

The fact that "most people respond" means that influencing dopamine levels helps most of the people. And supports the hypothesis that ADD is dopamine-related.

mildadhd
01-02-17, 01:08 PM
Actually, he was excellent.

The fact that "most people respond" means that influencing dopamine levels helps most of the people. And supports the hypothesis that ADD is dopamine-related.

Dopamine feels good.

Deficits of self-regulation feels bad.

G