View Full Version : How to tell neighbours to keep the ******* noise down! (Take 2)

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 07:08 PM
Everything from loud televisions, constant sneezing and coughing, loud obnoxious snoring every single night that keeps you wide awake. A squeeky bed spring that the couple next door refuse to get sorted....

How the hell do you tell them all to STFU?! I hate living in a flat with paper thin walls that allow you to hear it all. :mad:

aeon
12-26-16, 07:36 PM
Make your own noise to drown it out.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
12-26-16, 07:51 PM
Save gobs and gobs of egg cartons and do your own soundproofing. :)

Fuzzy12
12-26-16, 08:15 PM
We used to live in a flat like that. Paper thin walls. I once thought someone had broken in because it sounded as if someone was coughing next to me.

To be honest I think.I'd be too chicken to day anything but you probably should if it's disturbing you so much. I'd be super polite and friendly and blame it on the walls. Blame everything on the walls when you are speaking to them so it doesn't sound confrontational and they are more likely to show some consideration.

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 08:19 PM
Anytime I hear any of them, I think about kicking their door in and inflicting much pain on them, that's how angry their noise makes me. :(

Fuzzy12
12-26-16, 08:23 PM
Well they can't help the snoring coughing and sneezing i guess. :eek:

Little Missy
12-26-16, 08:24 PM

egg cartons...lots of them.

Fuzzy12
12-26-16, 08:25 PM

How???

Little Missy
12-26-16, 08:28 PM
How???

You open them up and fasten them to the walls all the way up and down to cover all the walls and ceiling. Supposed to be soundproof and high fidelity all in one.

Little Missy
12-26-16, 08:29 PM
Google shows how!

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 08:30 PM

They are 3 things that are usually triggered by something. When people persistently cough, sneeze and snore on a daily and nightly basis, then it's a clear sign that they don't give a **** and aren't prepared to do anything about it.

When I have a cough, I drink some water. If that doesn't work, then I take some cough medicine, or anti-acids if it's being caused by heart burn.

When i'm sneezing. I blow my nose clean. This takes care of it.

I've never had a snoring issue myself. But I know what causes people to snore. They can treat it by simply clearing their sinuses before they go to bed.

The ******* that lives below me clearly doesn't do any of these things and is quite happy to keep other people awake all night..... as long as he sleeps ok. :mad:

Little Missy
12-26-16, 08:32 PM
They are 3 things that are usually triggered by something. When people persistently cough, sneeze and snore on a daily and nightly basis, then it's a clear sign that they don't give a **** and aren't prepared to do anything about it.

When I have a cough, I drink some water. If that doesn't work, then I take some cough medicine, or anti-acids if it's being caused by heart burn.

I've never had a snoring issue myself. But I know what causes people to snore. They can treat it by simply clearing their sinuses before they go to bed.

The ******* that lives below me clearly doesn't do any of these things and is quite happy to keep other people awake all night..... as long as he sleeps ok. :mad:

Maybe you two can hang.

Unmanagable
12-26-16, 08:35 PM
Get you some better stereo speakers, lots of percussive instruments with much practice time whether you know how to play them or not, noise cancelling headphones, and damn good ear plugs for night time.

When you treasure and need silence, though, getting in sound wars just increases the misery and sucks the life right out of you, as there is no peace at home, the place you're supposed to feel the most comfortable.

My last apartment scene, after living underneath a very quiet 80ish yr old for several years, changed suddenly and I was living below a single mom with a 4 yr old who liked to play dress up in mommy's heels on the wood floors, had super squeaky bed springs and a very active sex life, who also liked to fill the bath tub to the max and it would overflow down into my bathroom, would crank up the music when I was trying to sleep for work, and who yelled at her child way much more than I thought was humanly possible.

But the landlord said that's just how apartment living is and to learn to deal with it or move. I worked shift work at the time, too, and it was a b**** trying to get any sleep.

I spoke with her directly, very kindly, to no avail. I even offered to buy her some area rugs to lessen the sounds of the heels on the wood floors, at least, but she wouldn't accept. Then I wrote a letter, not quite as kind, with a copy sent to the landlord, to no avail. Then I moved.

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 08:40 PM
I can't move. I don't even own this place and only pay enough rent to cover an interest only mortgage. I'm literally stuck where I am. :(

Unmanagable
12-26-16, 08:40 PM
Do you have ear plugs or head phones?

Fuzzy12
12-26-16, 08:42 PM

You are just ranting right ????

Snoring is notoriously difficult to get rid of and your neighbour might be ill or have a condition that can't be cured by drinking water or blowing your nose.

Speak to him. He might not even be aware that he can be heard through the walls. He's probably just busy focusing on his illness. :umm1:

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 08:44 PM
I can't wear ear plugs, they sting the inside of my ears so I end up taking them out. I've tried wearing noise cancelling head phones, but I can still hear the noise. It's not as loud, but it's still there and that's enough to keep me awake.

Fraser_0762
12-26-16, 08:46 PM
You are just ranting right ????

Snoring is notoriously difficult to get rid of and your neighbour might be ill or have a condition that can't be cured by drinking water or blowing your nose.

Speak to him. He might not even be aware that he can be heard through the walls. He's probably just busy focusing on his illness. :umm1:

It's not him that's ill, it's me that's getting ill because of him.

Little Nut
12-26-16, 09:33 PM
I am going to assume most of the issues are repetitive, excessive, and during nighttime. Also, most people imvho want to be reasonable neighbors and with some tact and dialogue will be reasonable. For others the only way to correct their behavior will be to kick their *** or call the cops. You're on your own for the latter.

Let me start with, how long have you lived there? If it is more than a couple of months, ask yourself why is this issue/coming-to-a-head now. Just wondering if the underlying cause of your irritation is on your side of the walls. If the underlying cause is truly not the noisy neighbors, there is no need to talk to them.

If/When you talk to them, you can't be angry at the time. I know if out of the blue someone starts beating the crap out of my door and when I answer it, they start screaming at me about making too much noise that I am not aware of being an issue, not only will I not be responsive, I will be full-on hostile and ready to fight. TBH if you're looking for a fight, this would be the way to start it.

Keep in mind the thin walls is also an issue for your neighbors and can be used to initiate a constructive dialogue. Go visit and talk to ALL of your neighbors, point out that you recently moved in and noticed how much you hear through the walls. You want to avoid frustration/conflicts and tell them if you make too much noise they should come to you calmly and point it out to you to discuss. (No this is not the time to then hit them with your 14 page grievance list.) Let them know you'll do the same in the future. So when you have multiple instances of say an obnoxiously loud television in Flat 14B, jot down the dates/times and go visit the neighbor or save it for the next time you see them. Bring up the issue and try to work through it. Be open to hear their grievance list against you.

If that doesn't work out, let them know the way it is isn't acceptable and you're going to think of ways to address it. Think about it, talk to the landlord, ask the local police what options if any you have. Also, don't underestimate the value of having the friendly discussions at the local pub. Maybe the folks with the loud television will invite you over to watch.

HTH, -LN

Faraway
12-26-16, 10:17 PM
your neighbour is pretty much in the same situation as you are, right?
except probably from the fact tjat you know heīs snorring....
heīs probably as stuck as you and you dont know whether he is annoyed by the paperwalls...
and itīs neither your fault nor hisī.
that may not help you too much, but its still true.

from a pragmatical point of view the best thing might be to find better earplugs (probably those made out of wax?)
the worst thing certainly would be kicking his doorin as this might take you to places where your sleep is disturbed by much worse things.

I wish you much success!

acdc01
12-26-16, 10:43 PM

If he's consistently doing these things for a long time (not just a temporary cold which you should just put up with since it will go away), no your solutions most likely would not work for him.

You can't mention the snoring.

But tell the guy the walls are paper thin so you hear him coughing and sneezing really loudly all the time - is he ok? Does he have some kind of illness cause coughing and sneezing should not persist for that long.

Sound concerned for his health and kind - not like you are complaining. Say it seems like it could be a sinus infection or allergies. Tell him you have a friend with allergies. The allergies were making her cough and sneeze all the time. Allergy meds helped in the short term so he should try that but he might want to see a doctor about it just in case. Your friend ended up getting very serious asthma because of it which is now permanent just cause she didn't take care of her allergies. Almost died actually cause she didn't do anything about the asthma either. Untreated allergies can actually lead to a lot of complications, even fatal ones. Repeat that you strongly recommend him seeing a doctor for it since people aren't supposed to cough/sneeze for that long and it could become serious.

Basically, scare him into seeing a dr. as well as you can. A coworker told me a version of this story cause my cough and sneezing weren't going away after a cold and she though I had allergies, not a cold (and she was right). Scared me into going to the drs asap lol.

A doctor would clear his sneezing and coughing issues. Bummer your neighbor is a guy - may sound sexist but I think if your neighbor was a girl this would more likely work while your odds are less with a guy (I bet statistics would back this up).

Regardless, this "concerned" approach and suggesting a dr. is still more likely to succeed than complaining to someone about sneezing and coughing - no one understands someone complaining about these things cause people believe they are uncontrollable. You can't mention snoring either. Allergies and a stuffy nose exacerbate snoring so if you cure the coughing/sneezing you may reduce the snoring too.

Three weeks after you first talk to him, just casually bump into him. Say hi and that you hope he's feeling better in a friendly tone of voice. Don't mention the sneezing/coughing besides doing that. If he didn't do anything about it after a month he's not going to. Then tell him the walls are paper thin so his television is keeping you up at nighttime. Could he turn the volume down after say 10 pm? Don't ask for during the dayttime - he won't listen or even if he did, he'll fall back to his normal routine sooner or later. Just play your own music during the day.

Another thing to try is going to your landlord. Whether you go straight to your landlord or try the above approach first depends on your neighbors personality and which you think would likely succeed better. I don't think you will solve the sneezing/snoring/coughing issue with a landlord but you might succeed with the television.

Cops will only take action if his noise exceeds a certain decibel just as an fyi and I doubt your neighbor exceeds that limit.

john2100
12-26-16, 11:11 PM
I can't move. I don't even own this place and only pay enough rent to cover an interest only mortgage. I'm literally stuck where I am. Who owes the place? How do you know that your rent covers only interest on their mortgage?

The only thing is professional soundproofing. You can split the cost with the owner or the neighbors. If that doesn't work . You just have to do it yourself.
Materials aren't really that expensive .

Don't fall for any cheap quick solutions either. There is a science behind noise.

"How to Soundproof" (http://www.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGC%25dN%25cS%25cSJJJmGzFBHAqCEBBsvAtmpBz%2 5cSUBJ-GB-5BHAqCEBBsmuGzy)

aeon
12-26-16, 11:40 PM
I once told an upstairs neighbor that I could hear him snore, and that it was not a problem, but that I was concerned because I could hear long periods of apnea. He didn't know what that was or that he had it, but he did take my advice to see a doctor.

Turns out he had a cardiopulmonary disorder which would have taken his life within the year if he had not gotten diagnosed and begun treatment and had a small, outpatient surgery.

He made a full recovery and then snored without apnea.

Cheers,
Ian

acdc01
12-27-16, 01:48 AM
I once told an upstairs neighbor that I could hear him snore, and that it was not a problem, but that I was concerned because I could hear long periods of apnea. He didn't know what that was or that he had it, but he did take my advice to see a doctor.

Turns out he had a cardiopulmonary disorder which would have taken his life within the year if he had not gotten diagnosed and begun treatment and had a small, outpatient surgery.

He made a full recovery and then snored without apnea.

Cheers,
Ian

Wow, that's crazy and lucky for that guy. Yeah, saying you think he has periods of apnea should be able to scare someone enough to go to the dr. I'd also still mention to your neighbor that it's not normal to sneeze and cough as long as he has been and that he may want to get that checked out by the dr. too. He may have a sinus infection or really bad allergies.

midnightstar
12-27-16, 01:53 AM
I would go down the route of blaming everything on the paper thin walls, noise is unavoidable in a home environment (like say for example where I live, I can sometimes hear the neighbours having a conversation in their own home with people)

I assume though that things like hearing the washing machine, running water etc when they're doing household chores or having a shower or whatever don't bother you, Fraser? :grouphug:

aeon
12-27-16, 04:06 AM
Wow, that's crazy and lucky for that guy. Yeah, saying you think he has periods of apnea should be able to scare someone enough to go to the dr. I'd also still mention to your neighbor that it's not normal to sneeze and cough as long as he has been and that he may want to get that checked out by the dr. too. He may have a sinus infection or really bad allergies.

No sneezing or coughing on his part, but no matter as we've both moved anyway.

Cheers,
Ian

acdc01
12-27-16, 05:34 AM
No sneezing or coughing on his part, but no matter as we've both moved anyway.

Cheers,
Ian

I meant Fraser should mention the sneezing and coughing isn't normal to his neighbor so he gets that treated too. His neighbor needs to go to the Dr and best chance for him doing that is if he's scared for his health for some reason. Your mentioning of apnea sounded scary enough.

sarahsweets
12-27-16, 06:23 AM
These kinds of problems suck. But since you cant control other people you have to work on a solution for yourself. Better ear plugs are a must. They make all kinds and they dont all sting.

Hermus
12-27-16, 06:32 AM

I totally agree with Little Missy. The neighbours can't do anything about the paper thin walls either and snoring and coughing are normal human behaviours that are hard to suppress. So you need to take responsibility for the solution yourself.

Your neighbours snoring issue is probably not something he dan do anything about. In fact, there might also be noises that you make and that bother the neighbours that you are not even aware of. As long as you live between these walls you probably will have to accept that there are more noise disturbances.

To me it seems like you expect the whole world to adjust it's behaviour to you. In fact, the things you say sound quite egocentric. Accept the things you cannot change and change the things you can. That means you will have to make some adjustments yourself to make living under these circumstances somewhat more comfortable for yourself, instead of putting all the blame on the neighbours who probably won't get rid off their cough or their snoring problems on short term.

Fraser_0762
12-27-16, 07:26 AM
It's not just coughing, sneezing and snoring though. The people above me have been hammering on their walls all year round. They're constantly doing some sort of construction work that never comes to an end. They didn't even bother to consult the neighbours and come up with a suitable time schedule for doing these works. They just do it whenever it suits them at whatever time of the day.

I don't care if it's egocentric to be bothered by this. I come home to escape the worlds annoyances only to find that there actually is no escape. There is something nipping at me 24/7. No wonder I feel like i'm going completely mad.

Little Missy
12-27-16, 07:44 AM
Adapt. :)

stef
12-27-16, 07:56 AM
It's not just coughing, sneezing and snoring though. The people above me have been hammering on their walls all year round. They're constantly doing some sort of construction work that never comes to an end. They didn't even bother to consult the neighbours and come up with a suitable time schedule for doing these works. They just do it whenever it suits them at whatever time of the day.

I don't care if it's egocentric to be bothered by this. I come home to escape the worlds annoyances only to find that there actually is no escape. There is something nipping at me 24/7. No wonder I feel like i'm going completely mad.

That, is grounds to complain, legitimately;
and at the same time you can take the "concerned neighbor approach" about the snoring, etc.
I dont think it's egocentric; it's a sensory thing that bothers you, very much.

And, I really see how it could; I can't say the walls of the apartment are paper thin, but the insulation is terrible throughout the building, and there are families with 2 very young children each, one just downstairs and the other across the hall. so it's "bathtime and bedtime" in stereo, some evenings :doh:
also downstairs puts on a little reggae when housecleaning but that's sunday late afternoon so it doesnt bother me much...

I've never complained to a neighbor directly so i wouldnt know what to say, but just stay polite and who knows, they might have some hidden problems or whatever and this way you'll know what's really going on.

Hermus
12-27-16, 09:10 AM
That, is grounds to complain, legitimately;
and at the same time you can take the "concerned neighbor approach" about the snoring, etc.
I dont think it's egocentric; it's a sensory thing that bothers you, very much.

I'm not saying it's egocentric to be bothered. However in my point of view it is egocentric to think his neighbours all should adjust to him. People cough and snore, those are normal human functions. It isn't reasonable to ask your neighbour to stop coughing and snoring. The sensory condition is his, so he will need to look for ways to adapt to the situation himself.

aeon
12-27-16, 11:29 AM
also downstairs puts on a little reggae when housecleaning but that's sunday late afternoon so it doesnt bother me much...

My downstairs neighbor skips da riddims and goes straightaways to da sweetleaf, ya mon.

Upstairs neighbor has a pooch named Bella that will let out a few barks upon my arrival home, but I find that comforting.

Cheers,
Ian

midnightstar
12-27-16, 12:07 PM

The hammering is something they can do something about, what they need to do is talk to each neighbour and find out when it's most convenient for them to be doing the work (and if you bring it up with them, you can maybe politely point out they wouldn't want a really tired emergency services responder or doctor etc dealing with them if they needed medical attention if the reason why the doctor/emergency services responder/whatever was so tired is because the neighbours were crashing around night and day - or you could use a brain surgeon as a example - you wouldn't want a brain surgeon falling asleep on the job :faint:

(((((Fraser))))) :grouphug:

Greyhound1
12-27-16, 12:07 PM
I would use Christmas as an excuse to give gifts to your noisy neighbors. I'd be passing out Breathe Right Nasal Strips and cough drops.

I would simply mention hearing their coughs and snoring and say I thought these may help you.

aeon
12-27-16, 12:25 PM
I would use Christmas as an excuse to give gifts to your noisy neighbors. I'd be passing out Breathe Right Nasal Strips and cough drops.

:lol:

Frigging Classic!

lulz,
Ian

bryanrc51
12-27-16, 12:42 PM
Everything from loud televisions, constant sneezing and coughing, loud obnoxious snoring every single night that keeps you wide awake. A squeeky bed spring that the couple next door refuse to get sorted....

How the hell do you tell them all to STFU?! I hate living in a flat with paper thin walls that allow you to hear it all. :mad:

Not to diminish or turn it on you but I have found that anti-depressants help with these issue. Sometimes the problem is not the noise but the anger, not to say your neighbor is not a complete a hole I am sure he is but if medication is something available to you it may help somewhat. What I usually do at work is put on some rather large headphones and turn up Slayer until that is all I hear (takes me to my happy place). Btw if you constantly have violent thoughts perhaps even more of a reason for medication it helps some of those kind of thoughts I had go away. Not sure if that was the Effexor or the Adderall but it works.

Again this might not be your situation just know that it worked for me.

Little Missy
12-27-16, 01:38 PM

I would simply mention hearing their coughs and snoring and say I thought these may help you.

On a roll today, "Heeerrrrre comes Rusty!!":D

You really know how to buy proper gifts!

Unmanagable
12-27-16, 01:47 PM
What kinds of things do you actively do to self-soothe?

Have you ever tried to have a community gathering to lay these things out on the table?

Maybe do a monthly potluck and discuss the issues. Or do a monthly "lend a hand" day to pitch in and help each other finish projects (like sound proofing and such), or something that fosters community and gives a chance for open communication.

Awareness often times solves problems quite easily. But nothing likely changes for the better if we keep suppressing and/or avoiding.

Other times, it simply takes a hell of a lot of extra diligence and effort on your own part to just try to survive as best you can. As if we don't already struggle to get through a damn day, ay? That's where fine tuning your own tool box of stress relieving methods is of the most importance.

Breath work has become one of my greatest tools in that arena, along with primal screaming (into a pillow or into the forest or when home alone), smudging my spaces with sage, filling my spaces with my favorite essential aromas, soaking my meat coated skeleton in a hot bath with epsom salts and other nurturing additives, a hula hoop, and a mini-trampoline.

A speed bag used to be another one of my most effective releases, too. It was a HUGE help. While none of that would drown out the noise or make it stop, it helps me more easily interact with others and bounce back from the angry feelings in each moment of overwhelming discomfort. That's worth it's weight in gold, to me.

I know that after having your frustration levels already maxed out, it's the last thing you have energy for. But there really is no other way around it, that I can see, from my limited experiences. I vividly remember the feeling of your particular pain in this regard and wish you well.

[MODERATOR NOTE: We seem to be having some technical difficulties displaying p.2 of the thread, such that I have to post here instead of making a new post. Closing thread temporarily for tech consult.]

john2100
12-27-16, 03:20 PM
Hi, fraser, do you own that place or rent?

I used to own my apartment where I had to spend around $$1200 in material and 80 men hours to sound proof my ceilings and one wall . Money well spend. It's is a good selling point too as noise from neighbors is probably number one complaint. I had good windows that blocked street noise almost completely ,also the front door was a thick wood with noise "guard" on the bottom .

In the USA we have wood construction ,even in the apartments , with sheetrocks.
I had to remove old Sheetrock from the wall and ceilings.
Then I filed it is isolation and installed new Sheetrock on the sound proofing clips.
The new sheetrock had 2 layies with green glue between them.

Milk cartoons will not work. You have to isolate the vibrations . Thats what clips and green glue does.

ALso putting a new layer of sheetrock with a layer of green glue between them will not work m because the original sheetrock is still attached to the framing that caries the vibrations.

If you do it, do it right, like they suggest ,otherwise it will reduce the noise only by 25% at most.

After I did this, the silence was almost uncomfortable, I literally started to miss some outside noise from time to time,,,just kidding,,,It was freaking awesome.

Fraser_0762
12-27-16, 05:40 PM
I don't know. I'm just so angry right now. It's zapping the little energy I have these days. I can't confront my neighbours. It would only make things worse than they are.

Fuzzy12
12-27-16, 05:56 PM
Have you tried ear plugs?

Luvmybully
12-27-16, 07:48 PM
People's normal noises are the reason I am unsuited for apartment living. I would go nuts!

As far as the coughing, sneezing and snoring goes, some coughs are persistent. I used to get one every year that would last 4-5 months. No medicine would make it stop. I split my ribs coughing so bad, it was very painful. Believe me, I tried all the meds the Dr gave me.

I sure WISH snoring was cured by nose blowing! That would be so fabulous! It is not, however. My husband snores, and he actually also sneezes quite often. For him, the sneezing is allergies.

Sometimes medicine just does not altogether stop things like coughing and sneezing. If someone actually suggested to me that my coughing was my own fault because I CHOSE not to do anything about it, I would be furious.

Have you tried a white noise source, like a large fan, or a white noise machine?

Little Missy
12-27-16, 07:53 PM
Sometimes choosing to feel differently about the situation, having your own inside noise that you enjoy to drown it out or...moving! :)

Goofycook
12-27-16, 09:08 PM
You need to let go and make a goal to move. Your may not be able to change the situation but you sure as .*&^% change your attitude. A positive attitude makes life easier to get through.

namazu
12-28-16, 03:59 AM
MODERATOR NOTE: We seem to be having some technical difficulties on p.2 of the thread.

EDIT: Seems to be fixed now. Please report any further problems to the moderators via PM or the Forum Feedback section.

Lunacie
12-28-16, 09:57 AM
You need to let go and make a goal to move. Your may not be able to change the situation but you sure as .*&^% change your attitude. A positive attitude makes life easier to get through.

I also have sensory sensitivity and apartment living (or staying in a cheap motel) are hell for me.

The noises! Argh!

Living in my own home I keep an electric fan running to mask annoying noises.

I am *positive* that sensory issues are very real and very hard to live with.

Clearly you do not have this problem and have never wanted to use a shotgun
on the barking dog next door or the neighbor who blasts a stereo so loud your
walls are actually vibrating or the sound of a two-stroke motorcycle engine.

You are lucky.

sarahsweets
12-28-16, 12:20 PM
Sometimes we just have to deal with stuff that makes us crazy. I dont have constant sensory issues but its sort of like they pop up during periods of anxiety,irritation and stress. This past summer the neighbor on the side and across the street always cut their grass at the same time. I know they didnt plan it, and I know it had to be done but it made me insane. I got so p*ssed everytime. I also cant stand the sound of backup sounds from large trucks and construction trucks.

Luvmybully
12-31-16, 11:31 PM
I just ordered a white noise machine. Decided to take my own advice to combat hubby's snoring!

I'll let you know how it works.

Luvmybully
01-04-17, 12:37 PM
Fraser!!

First night with the white noise machine, hubby's snoring did not keep me up all night!

If it works that well for someone right next to me, I imagine for you it would work even better. There were a few times he was very loud, but for the most part, it was a wonderful night.

Best $50 I've spent in a long time. I got it from Amazon, and can't remember if we can post links to sites that sell stuff or not. It was:

LectroFan - White Noise Machine with 10 Fan and 10 White Noise Sounds

midnightstar
01-04-17, 02:40 PM
How is the situation now Fraser? :grouphug:

Fraser_0762
01-04-17, 08:18 PM
How is the situation now Fraser? :grouphug:

Still frustrating as hell. I've started popping downers to help me get to sleep at night. I can't do anything else.

Luvmybully
01-05-17, 01:28 PM
Still frustrating as hell. I've started popping downers to help me get to sleep at night. I can't do anything else.

Try white noise in your bedroom. A loud fan, find one on your cell phone, get a machine like I did. It helps tremendously!

I would quite literally go out of my mind if surrounded by noise constantly. Especially at night.

Fraser_0762
01-05-17, 07:17 PM
Try white noise in your bedroom. A loud fan, find one on your cell phone, get a machine like I did. It helps tremendously!

I would quite literally go out of my mind if surrounded by noise constantly. Especially at night.

Thanks for the advice. But it's no use. Even the sound of a fan or machine keeps me awake. I can't switch off as long as there is something to focus on.

BellaVita
01-05-17, 08:41 PM
Fraser, I feel your pain. I'm very sensitive to noise too. Even with earplugs in, any noise that I hear keeps me awake and causes me anxiety.

My husband snores and we've tried different things for that, finally it seems that these breathing strips that he places on his nose get rid of most of the snoring. And we have a thing that if it falls off in the middle of the night he has to put on another one. :)

And I hear you on White Noise not working, I have a fan with different settings that I sometimes use but even my fan can often overload me - I like it to be absolutely quiet.

Even my own ears ringing and hearing my heart beating is enough to keep me awake sometimes.