View Full Version : I don't know what to do next

garoosh
12-29-16, 12:54 AM
I used to have friends until my best friends mom died. My friend changed and they no longer wanted to keep in contact with me. She told me I wasn't there for her when her mom died. My depressioned impaired my ability to truly be there in a time of need. Since i had a lack of friends and no real hobbies I took to concentrating on getting a finishing my degree. Finding it difficult to do given my untreated ADD I got prescribed stimulants to help me get through schoo. They worked well and I ultimately graduated although it was simply because it was the quickest degree I could get (I couldn't pay for additional semesters). I thought that if I could do so well in school I could do well for other areas of my life. But I learned real life is nothing like school and my meds won't really help much. Now I am finding it difficult to find a job in my field. I am still working at my retail job and have another part-time job lined up which I don't really want to do. I'm 24 and I am not sure what to do next. I have no friends no real job and no plan for my life. I want to make friends but having someone get to know me is terrifying for me. I need help dealing with depression and social anxiety but all the docs I went to didn't help much and just threw pills at me. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with no friends miserable doing something I hate while on drugs just to keep me going. Please help

sarahsweets
12-29-16, 07:21 AM
Well docs can only help you with those things from their areas of expertise-which would be medication. Have you tried any medication? Otherwise a therapist could help

Little Nut
12-29-16, 11:25 AM
Is there someone that you deeply trust to talk to. I'm thinking (Priest, Rabbi, Minister, Doc...). Someone that can help/guide you to analyze your situation, flag problems, behaviors. Come up w/ a list of how to address them and prioritize it. These people will help you keep perspective and also have contacts of people best suited to help you with specific issues. Also, I'm a list kinda guy and would start jotting down specifics of problems as they pop up and what the specific impact was TO YOU. I believe this type of list will help you and whomever you talk to get started and make it easier if you want to do some research on your own. HTH, -LN

stef
12-29-16, 12:57 PM
I used to have friends until my best friends mom died. My friend changed and they no longer wanted to keep in contact with me. She told me I wasn't there for her when her mom died. My depressioned impaired my ability to truly be there in a time of need.

I just wanted to say, your friend may be not acting quite like herself right now; greiving takes a huge toll and looking back, I had moments where I lashed out at friends, or perceived that I had been slighted. If you can, let her know that you're always there if she needs something. Or even just send some flowers and write that she's in your thoughts.