View Full Version : Meeting with Boss and Supervisor

finallyfound10
12-30-16, 01:03 AM
This may be the beginning of the end as I had a long overdue meeting with my Unit Director and Supervisor.

I'm a nurse and made a med error which could or could not have been been due to ADHD. A patient had been receiving a constant rate of a narcotic for a high pain level from a PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) pump for the entire shift that had him. https://www.drugs.com/cg/patient-controlled-analgesia.html This was the first time in 2 years of being a nurse that I had a patient on a constant delivery of a narcotic.

The next day I had him again and the doc discontinued the continuous rate (while keeping the part where the patient presses the button when they need it) BUT I didn't read the order correctly so I didn't stop it and they continued to receive the the pain med for hours longer than they were supposed to.

I DID that the doc had put an order in, read it quickly and clicked the 'acknowledge button' but thought that it was just to continue the med NOT to stop it. By acknowledging it- it means that I understand the order and will carry it out.

I could've gotten written up but didn't, just verbally counseled.

But we then went on to talk about other issues that I have- and have had since I was in nursing school and knew I would have as a bedside nurse. Bedside nursing pretty much has to be done for 1-3 years to get other jobs away from the bedside. Then the all too familiar words and phrases were used: scattered, attention to detail, time management, critical thinking (part of Executive Functioning), the usual. My Boss even mentioned ADHD in a kidding kind of way BUT not in the kidding-but-really-being-serious way which may have been easier than the way she did mention it.

At this point there is no point in copping to it. Get on ADHD meds- I am. (third one), may be an anti-anxiety med- was on one (third one) until a few weeks ago and going back on one next week

We are going to get other nurses for me to be teamed with as a coach so then we'll both work with our 8-10 patients together. I will watch the other nurse and get tips to help with all of the things that are wrong. I'll reconvene with my Boss in a few weeks and see how it's going.

I talked about how I don't know that bedside nursing is for me and think that there are other areas where my teaching background and nursing could be mixed like in public health nursing.

I already decided several weeks ago to really start to look for a new job in other ares away from the bedside. I already applied for a two jobs about a month ago - denied an interview for one and haven't heard back on the other one.

The answer is to get a new job, not meds or coaching or disciplinary action- as that would be the next course of action here. Not that a new job is the REAL answer either but what is the real answer here?? There isn't one. I guess work will always be an issue for me to varying degrees.

Thanks for listening!!!!

sarahsweets
12-30-16, 07:55 AM
But we then went on to talk about other issues that I have- and have had since I was in nursing school and knew I would have as a bedside nurse. Bedside nursing pretty much has to be done for 1-3 years to get other jobs away from the bedside.
My mother was an icu nurse and now in the recovery room. I get it. My brother is 26 and just graduated from nursing school in May and now working in telemetry and just came off of shadowing. He said its like running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I cant imagine what it would be like to have adhd and be a nurse.

Then the all too familiar words and phrases were used: scattered, attention to detail, time management, critical thinking (part of Executive Functioning), the usual. My Boss even mentioned ADHD in a kidding kind of way BUT not in the kidding-but-really-being-serious way which may have been easier than the way she did mention it.

Totally your call-personally though I would be ****** and bristle if my supervisor even so much as hinted at come kind of condition to me regarding my work performance, Its just none of their business.

At this point there is no point in copping to it. Get on ADHD meds- I am. (third one), may be an anti-anxiety med- was on one (third one) until a few weeks ago and going back on one next week

DEFINITELY do not disclose. None of their business and not worth the shame and side looks.

We are going to get other nurses for me to be teamed with as a coach so then we'll both work with our 8-10 patients together. I will watch the other nurse and get tips to help with all of the things that are wrong. I'll reconvene with my Boss in a few weeks and see how it's going.

Its not the best solution but its something.

I talked about how I don't know that bedside nursing is for me and think that there are other areas where my teaching background and nursing could be mixed like in public health nursing.

How did they take you saying that?

finallyfound10
12-31-16, 04:57 PM
Sarah,

Thanks so much for responding!!! I am answering within your response.

My mother was an icu nurse and now in the recovery room. I get it. My brother is 26 and just graduated from nursing school in May and now working in telemetry and just came off of shadowing. He said its like running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I cant imagine what it would be like to have adhd and be a nurse.

Bedside nursing is like running around like a chicken with its head cut off!! Some ADHD- Hyperactive Type RN's love it and say that crazy units like mine and the ED are perfect for them. I'm Inattentive Type so it's rough going!!

Totally your call-personally though I would be ****** and bristle if my supervisor even so much as hinted at come kind of condition to me regarding my work performance, Its just none of their business.

She wasn't really serious as she said that she thinks that sometimes she has at ADHD and gave a a very normal example of an exchange between she and her daughter as proof. It wasn't even said in one of those not-serious-but-serious-types of way that I would have more respect for since it's a hard conversation to have. She has no idea of true ADHD and just she insulted suffers of the disorder.

The medication mentioned in my OP was me just talking out loud to myself and all of you as if they had gone there and talked about meds. I've tried so many and nothing has really helped with ADHD and anxiety and their effect on my performance.

DEFINITELY do not disclose. None of their business and not worth the shame and side looks.

I am NOT a supporter of disclosing at work so no chance of that happening there!! I know some here have disclosed when their jobs were on the line and it's worked at times but I don't think that it would in nursing and I need a new job anyway.

Its not the best solution but its something.

Yes, it is! She and the other Supervisors have been BEYOND gracious with me. The other big hospital system in my region would've fired me a year ago at least.

The coaching may help a bit and extend the time I have until things turn into discipline issues. I think that I probably stayed too long already but usually do.

How did they take you saying that?

It was interesting.

Since they don't understand ADHD (and meds aren't really helping me) they seemed really think this coaching thing is going to make real and lasting changes- at least my Boss did but I think the Supervisor who I work side by side with "gets it" more and knows that this isn't the fix and that there probably isn't one. I just got that sense.

I said it more as an acknowledgement of my issues so as not to look like an idiot like I thought I was doing fine and this is where I want to be for the next 20 years and also a way to lay the foundation of when I do find something else and quit.

We talked about how many areas there for nurses to work in and bedside is just one of them and I mentioned areas where I think could mix my other 20+ years of experience and nursing/healthcare. They both know that may be the case so were supportive.

This will all be very interesting to see how this will play out....