View Full Version : New comer here, and I need some input.

gabe198428
12-30-16, 02:31 AM
Hello everyone. I'll try my best to explain things in an understandable way.

To begin, when I was younger, I was first prescribed Ritalin while in elementary and middle school. My family used to say how hyperactive I was, couldn't stop talking. While I was on the medication, I slowed down, didn't talk much. Looking back on it, I can't tell if these effects were from the drug, IE (zombie-like) or if I was able to concentrate more. I was in special education classes all throughout my public schooling. Mathematics and language were problematic for me. My reading level is far below my age group. I am 32 years old now and still struggle to sound out complex words, get a full grasp of what words mean. I find myself having to constantly check a directory to figure out what a word means. When I entered high school and discontinued the medication, I found myself daydreaming or wandering off. I was a heavy user of marijuana for most of my life. I tried every illegal drug out there, but marijuana was always my mainstay, what I abused. Given my drug history, would it be safe or effective to try the medication again?

As I got older, the symptoms are much worse. I can't read anything for longer than 10 minutes. I can't sit still to watch something. I have such poor eye contact and my poster is poor. When I engage in a conversation, I can't seem to follow what the person is saying. I am one of those people who give one word responses, monosybillic in my diction. I misplace things a lot, disorganized in that I can't seem to complete a task. I don't know if this is OCD-related or not, but whenever I listen to something, like a song or someone talking, the words repeat inside of my head. It's not a single phrase or anything. In the case of OCD, repeating something is usually a sign to relieve stress. It becomes a ritual to the sufferer. Maybe the symptom I just described is related to inattentive ADHD, in that I am focusing on one specific thing?

As for myself, I find to have racing thoughts, like I can't focus on a specific thought. You'd think I am talkative because most people who exhibit this are. Lastly, while browsing through here, I came across something called: SCT. I think I might have it, because my speech is a bit sluggish and I am, "slow."

Oh yeah, if my psych doctor decides to put me on some type of stimulant medication, which he is reluctant to do because of the side effects, like damage to teeth and heart problems, does anyone have experience with combining them with nootropics? Should I steer clear of them when I start my medication?

Thanks for reading.

sarahsweets
12-30-16, 07:11 AM
Hello everyone. I'll try my best to explain things in an understandable way.

To begin, when I was younger, I was first prescribed Ritalin while in elementary and middle school. My family used to say how hyperactive I was, couldn't stop talking. While I was on the medication, I slowed down, didn't talk much. Looking back on it, I can't tell if these effects were from the drug, IE (zombie-like) or if I was able to concentrate more. I was in special education classes all throughout my public schooling. Mathematics and language were problematic for me. My reading level is far below my age group. I am 32 years old now and still struggle to sound out complex words, get a full grasp of what words mean. I find myself having to constantly check a directory to figure out what a word means.
I just wanted to say you write and express yourself very well considering what you have mentioned about school- so great coping skills!

When I entered high school and discontinued the medication, I found myself daydreaming or wandering off. I was a heavy user of marijuana for most of my life. I tried every illegal drug out there, but marijuana was always my mainstay, what I abused. Given my drug history, would it be safe or effective to try the medication again?

It depends. Would you say you are a drug addict? In the cases of drug addiction, many times its a form of self medication that people engage in to help with untreated adhd or other mental illnesses. Many times starting a medication helps get rid of that need. Statistically, drug addicts and alcoholics are less likely to abuse substances when properly treated for adhd. If you are not addicted and more like someone who can take it or leave it-but chooses to use drugs- then meds could help but you will need to stop the other stuff. You cant possibly evaluate the effectiveness of medication if you are getting high.
Sometimes people who have had issues with hard drugs cant seem to manage taking CII substances without abusing them. In cases where the person desperately needs them but compulsively cant take them safely, some people have relied upon family members to give them to the person and keep the rest locked up-but IMO thats not realistic.

As for myself, I find to have racing thoughts, like I can't focus on a specific thought. You'd think I am talkative because most people who exhibit this are. Lastly, while browsing through here, I came across something called: SCT. I think I might have it, because my speech is a bit sluggish and I am, "slow."

Have you been evaluated for anything else? Sometimes things like bipolar cause racing thoughts and adhd and bipolar can also be comorbid. In some cases the two are both misdiagnosed, swapping one for the other.

Oh yeah, if my psych doctor decides to put me on some type of stimulant medication, which he is reluctant to do because of the side effects, like damage to teeth and heart problems, does anyone have experience with combining them with nootropics? Should I steer clear of them when I start my medication?

I am not familiar with nootropics- can you explain? All drugs have side effects- have you ever read the profile for Tylenol. You and your doc shouldnt preclude trying medication because of side effects you havent even had yet. Imagine someone telling a chonic back pain sufferer that surgery would help-but the risks and side effects of going under for surgery were scary? The patient would suffer for years and rely on maybe drugs-instead of a evidence supported treatment option.

gabe198428
12-31-16, 01:33 AM
Thanks for answering. Yes, I'd say so, but not the way that I used to be. Pot does exacerbate my symptoms if I smoke too much, especially racing thoughts. I get horribly depressed and fall into psychosis if the use is prolonged, which is why I use about once or twice a week. If I smoke everyday like it used to be, that's where the trouble comes in. That said, I've been sober for a week and a half now. I want the THC to be out of my system before I try any medications. And I think I described things wrong. It's not really racing thoughts. It's more like a TV inside of your head that's constantly switching channels. I'm sure you've heard of that analogy before.

To answer your next question, I ruled Bipolar out. I never experienced a manic episode before, which to my understanding is the hallmark of the illness. I have been diagnosed with dysthymia, which then switched to BPD, and then major depression. The one mainstay, the way I see it anyway, is ADD with specific LDs.

As for Nootropics, the best way to explain it is that they are marketed as cognitive enhancers. They aren't psychotropic medications. As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing adverse side effects from them. I just don't know about its effectiveness. I tried them long ago, and didn't feel any different. Some people swear by them.

sarahsweets
12-31-16, 07:22 AM
Thanks for answering. Yes, I'd say so, but not the way that I used to be. Pot does exacerbate my symptoms if I smoke too much, especially racing thoughts. I get horribly depressed and fall into psychosis if the use is prolonged, which is why I use about once or twice a week. If I smoke everyday like it used to be, that's where the trouble comes in. That said, I've been sober for a week and a half now. I want the THC to be out of my system before I try any medications. And I think I described things wrong. It's not really racing thoughts. It's more like a TV inside of your head that's constantly switching channels. I'm sure you've heard of that analogy before.
Its good that you stopped the pot. And its admirable as well. You cant really see if meds work if you are smoking so bravo for that, I hope its not to hard.

To answer your next question, I ruled Bipolar out. I never experienced a manic episode before, which to my understanding is the hallmark of the illness. I have been diagnosed with dysthymia, which then switched to BPD, and then major depression. The one mainstay, the way I see it anyway, is ADD with specific LDs.

Yes mania is usually how people assume bipolar manifests itself but its not the only thing. BPII is a little different so its worth reading up on. I am BPII and its different then the typical idea of what Bipolar is. Not saying you are bipolar just mentioning. Many people with adhd have issues with other mental illnesses. It doesnt mean the adhd shouldnt be treated or ignored. A bad doc will focus on only the depression piece or other mental health issue and ignore the adhd. Both should be attended to.

As for Nootropics, the best way to explain it is that they are marketed as cognitive enhancers. They aren't psychotropic medications. As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing adverse side effects from them. I just don't know about its effectiveness. I tried them long ago, and didn't feel any different. Some people swear by them.

Do the have science and evidence to back up their benefits or is it more of and internet thing?

Pilgrim
12-31-16, 09:17 PM
When you were prescribed stimulints when younger thar slower quieter outlook is the one you want.What are Nootropics?