View Full Version : How do you get to sleep when using ADHD meds?

Dave911
12-30-16, 07:53 AM
I've been using Dexamphetamine on and off for about 7 years. I've taken about 4 months off and am restarting in 5 days. I'm starting university next year so I need it. The problem I have always had is falling asleep. In the past my Dr has prescribed me a low dose of Seroquel, but to hell with that medication, it's horrible and I'm not gonna take it ever again.

Can anyone recommend something I can use with the Dex that can be taken long term? I'm not a fan of anti psychotics as they just mess me up and make the dex less effective. I've also tried Mirtizepine in the past and that helped me sleep but also made the dex not effective at all.

aeon
12-30-16, 11:23 AM
Take your Dex early enough in your day that it is out of your system by bedtime.

Especially with the IR they have in Australia, this should not be difficult.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
12-30-16, 11:38 AM
Build a routine of good sleep hygiene and stick to it. I assure you in most cases this does the trick. People call me the sleep Nazi for a reason. :)

Swissy
12-30-16, 11:59 AM
Magnesium is a supplement that helps with sleep. I have seen more than one person recommend it with adderall. I needed it when I first started a couple months ago, but now I am ok... I work weird hours that change a lot so I start waking up at about 2am and this continues every hour until morning �� But I do this even on days I skip the meds

Fraser_0762
12-30-16, 12:08 PM
Get an hour of exercise in the evening after you're finished work/uni. Also, don't eat anything within a couple of hours before bed time. Get into that routine and you'll sleep like a log.

DJ Bill
12-30-16, 12:32 PM
Trazadone...but you gotta know you'll be under its influence for at least 8 hours.
Proper sleep hygiene really helps too. My brain has never done well without 8 hours of sleep. And rotating shift work is torture for me. I don't do it anymore.

Fraser_0762
12-30-16, 12:40 PM
Trazadone...but you gotta know you'll be under its influence for at least 8 hours.
Proper sleep hygiene really helps too. My brain has never done well without 8 hours of sleep. And rotating shift work is torture for me. I don't do it anymore.

Trazadone never helped me sleep. Just made me extremely dizzy with a feeling of impending death.

ginniebean
12-30-16, 01:25 PM
Take your Dex early enough in your day that it is out of your system by bedtime.

Cheers,
Ian

Not for everyone. Every body is different. i took my meds early when I took them and sleep was so dofficult. i was prescribed sleeping pills. The kind pilots use. Can't remeber the name

Dave911
12-30-16, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! Ill try the exercise that sounds like an awesome idea, healthy too. Trazodone isn't available in Australia. I can order it online. I see my psychiatrist in a week, i'll let her know about my situation. But there's no way I'm ever taking an anti-psychotic again.

sarahsweets
12-31-16, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! Ill try the exercise that sounds like an awesome idea, healthy too. Trazodone isn't available in Australia. I can order it online. I see my psychiatrist in a week, i'll let her know about my situation. But there's no way I'm ever taking an anti-psychotic again.

You can order prescription drugs online?

EuropeanADHD
12-31-16, 08:21 AM
I've been using Dexamphetamine on and off for about 7 years. I've taken about 4 months off and am restarting in 5 days. I'm starting university next year so I need it. The problem I have always had is falling asleep. In the past my Dr has prescribed me a low dose of Seroquel, but to hell with that medication, it's horrible and I'm not gonna take it ever again.

Can anyone recommend something I can use with the Dex that can be taken long term? I'm not a fan of anti psychotics as they just mess me up and make the dex less effective. I've also tried Mirtizepine in the past and that helped me sleep but also made the dex not effective at all.

I didn't take Dexamphetamine, I took MPH, so not sure if my experiences can be applied in your situation.

However, I only had one period when MPH made me unable to fell asleep. It was when I was overdosing - without knowing it, obviously. Otherwise, when I take MPH about noon or in the early afternoon, I can sleep even better at night than I do without it. Actually, the first effect of taking MPH in my case was better sleep.

Little Nut
12-31-16, 12:49 PM

Cheers,
Ian

That's what I do. Want to add to give yourself several weeks (2 weeks for me) to see what the long term impact is. Hopefully you can get by with just moving last dose up an hour or so &/or trimming last dose a wee bit. HTH, -LN

Dave911
12-31-16, 05:57 PM
You can order prescription drugs online?

Yes, Certain non addictive medications.

Dave911
12-31-16, 05:58 PM
I didn't take Dexamphetamine, I took MPH, so not sure if my experiences can be applied in your situation.

However, I only had one period when MPH made me unable to fell asleep. It was when I was overdosing - without knowing it, obviously. Otherwise, when I take MPH about noon or in the early afternoon, I can sleep even better at night than I do without it. Actually, the first effect of taking MPH in my case was better sleep.

What is MPH?

Little Nut
12-31-16, 07:48 PM
Methyphenidate (Ritalin...Focalin...) HTH

aeon
12-31-16, 07:48 PM
What is MPH?

methylphenidate, i.e., Ritalin

Fraser_0762
12-31-16, 08:02 PM
What is MPH?

Methyphenidate

For me however, it's "miles per hour"..... as in, how many miles per hour is my mind constantly racing at. :scratch:

Dave911
01-03-17, 01:21 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Melatonin? I have a script for a a prescription version.

sarahsweets
01-12-17, 01:00 PM
I take 3mg every night. The trick with melatonin is that less is more- taking a higher dose doesnt mean you will sleep better and it can lead to fogginess in the morning and sometimes mood disturbances. However everyone's starting dose is going to be different. My daughter takes 6mg.