View Full Version : i wonder in the long run, if it would have been better if...?

mildadhd
01-02-17, 07:18 AM
Knowing what I know now.

After taking methyphenidate for over 10 years, I am wondering if I should have chosen a more longer term benefit non pharma treatment approach, verses, the methyphenidate shorter term benefit pharma treatment approach.

Sure methylphenidate works, but I am also experiencing side effects and need to stop taking methylphenidate, leaving me no better off than before I started taking the medication.

I wonder if I would have been better off in the long run, if I would have taken a more longterm non pharma approach to treatment?

G

sarahsweets
01-02-17, 09:10 AM
I guess I look at a pharma approach as part of long term treatment when combined with other things. I have never believed that meds were meant for short term. As far as having to stop taking meds, I know it would be hard for me, because I would know how great life could be.

Fuzzy12
01-02-17, 09:36 AM
What non pharma approach? Is ther anything?

Little Nut
01-02-17, 10:35 AM
Knowing what I know now.

After taking methyphenidate for over 10 years, I am wondering if I should have chosen a more longer term benefit non pharma treatment approach, verses, the methyphenidate shorter term benefit pharma treatment approach.

Sure methylphenidate works, but I am also experiencing side effects and need to stop taking methylphenidate, leaving me no better off than before I started taking the medication.

I wonder if I would have been better off in the long run, if I would have taken a more longterm non pharma approach to treatment?

G
Doubtful.

My perspective on your MPH experience is a little different than yours. You were lucky enough to find an effective and comprehensive treatment for 10 years. Based on just my readings on this forum, I would say that is better than the norm. Congratz

I don't recall coming across any studies indicating effective long-term non-pharma treatments for ADHD. -LN

ToneTone
01-02-17, 04:04 PM
If you had ten successful years with treatment, that's a lot! ... Most conditions cannot be "cured" ... but are instead "treated" and controlled. That goes for ADHD and for heart conditions and blood pressure and diabetes and dental problems and on and on ....

So I wonder if you have an unrealistic standard here ... There are no non-pharma methods that cure ADHD ... If there were, you can bet we would all be using them ...

There are many methylphenidate meds ... how about switching to a different one?

Tone

aeon
01-02-17, 04:24 PM
If you could afford to have therapy every day, then sure.

Aside from that, meds it is.

I always found methylphenidate to be a somewhat dirty drug, and much preferred dexmethylphenidate due to its stronger action and lower side-effect profile.

That said, for me, nothing works as well as dextroamphetamine, full stop.

Well Wishes,
Ian

mildadhd
01-02-17, 05:41 PM
Thanks for everyones' replies.

G

Swissy
01-02-17, 06:29 PM
I feel like if you took a different approach and found yourself struggling with certain things, you'd be wondering if you should have tried the meds. Wondering about choices you can't change is a waste of energy, you can always try a different approach and see how it goes :)

mildadhd
01-02-17, 06:50 PM
I feel like if you took a different approach and found yourself struggling with certain things, you'd be wondering if you should have tried the meds. Wondering about choices you can't change is a waste of energy, you can always try a different approach and see how it goes :)

Probably so. I will try some different approaches and see what happens. I guess I would not be able to compare different approaches with my experiences with methylphenidate, if had not tried methyphenidate.

Thanks again Everyone.

G

mildadhd
01-02-17, 07:11 PM

I am wondering about a combination of non pharma approaches, over a period of time, see how those go, before I possibly consider another pharma approach.

I will let you know what things I try and how things go.

Thanks.

G

DJ Bill
01-03-17, 11:59 AM
Another methylphenidate user here....Been on it 6 months or so. What were the side effects that caused you to stop taking it?

ToneTone
01-03-17, 09:49 PM
Non-pharma: do you mean hiring a coach? ... or a therapist?

Tone

mildadhd
01-04-17, 12:22 AM
Another methylphenidate user here....Been on it 6 months or so. What were the side effects that caused you to stop taking it?

Present dosage needed, is raising my blood pressure to high.

G

peripatetic
01-04-17, 12:29 AM

you know, i couldn't tell you exactly where, but witchy (redhairedwitch) has a lengthy post that tells all of the things she does. white boards, minimizing stuff, things by the door....i don't remember it all, but there are strategies beyond medications.

my main issue isn't that those aren't great ideas, it's that i find it very difficult to put them into practice when i'm not medicated.

i DO think that it's important for everyone to have some adaptive life skills and for those of us with adhd especially. we need more than that, or at least i do, i can tell you as a person currently not medicated for adhd. i have a LOT of support. and if i didn't...i'd be ******.

mildadhd
01-04-17, 12:32 AM
Non-pharma: do you mean hiring a coach? ... or a therapist?

Tone

I am going to start by trying a self-parenting approach I read about in the book "Scattered", by Dr.Mate.

All recommendations appreciated.

G

Little Missy
01-04-17, 10:56 AM

G

If you seriously eat entirely salt free you can control your blood pressure. That is how I do it.

aeon
01-04-17, 11:52 AM

Nothing that a little ACE inhibitor won’t fix...Lisinopril!

Cheers,
Ian

mildadhd
01-05-17, 12:04 AM
you know, i couldn't tell you exactly where, but witchy (redhairedwitch) has a lengthy post that tells all of the things she does. white boards, minimizing stuff, things by the door....i don't remember it all, but there are strategies beyond medications.

my main issue isn't that those aren't great ideas, it's that i find it very difficult to put them into practice when i'm not medicated.

i DO think that it's important for everyone to have some adaptive life skills and for those of us with adhd especially. we need more than that, or at least i do, i can tell you as a person currently not medicated for adhd. i have a LOT of support. and if i didn't...i'd be ******.

Thanks Questions!

I will PM RHW and ask her.

Thanks for the support.

G

ToneTone
01-05-17, 12:50 PM
The great paradox: the meds can help me do all the non-med things that are good for me. I exercise more, meditate more, plan better ... make fewer dumb decisions on the medications than off.

Tone

mildadhd
01-05-17, 10:29 PM
If you seriously eat entirely salt free you can control your blood pressure. That is how I do it.

Fascinating topic, I curious about the physiology?

Nothing that a little ACE inhibitor won’t fix...Lisinopril!

Cheers,
Ian

My problem is I have maxed out the daily recommended amount of methylphenidate (SR).

It's okay so far, I am trying not to try to hard.

I feel happy so far, which is improvement.

High blood pressure makes me feel grumpy.

G

mildadhd
01-05-17, 10:37 PM
The great paradox: the meds can help me do all the non-med things that are good for me. I exercise more, meditate more, plan better ... make fewer dumb decisions on the medications than off.

Tone

Methyphenidate has helped me learn that I can promote development of my self-regulation without methyphenidate.

G